Sugoi versus P-Line and what type of P-Line?

Jeff C.

Sugoi versus P-Line and what type of P-Line?

Post by Jeff C. »

Hi, I tried Sugoi flurocarbon on my split shot rig the other day and I have to say that I love it. I think I'm going to switch my jig rods over to fluoro as well.

One thing I don't like about Sugoi is that it is way too expensive. I know a lot of you use P-line fluoro, how does it compare to Sugoi? Also, when you say you are using P-line fluoro, is it the basic fluorocarbon you're using, or are you using CX, CXX, or Fluoroclear. Which would you prefer for jigs if you want maximum sensitivity, invisibility, and no stretch?

Thanks, Jeff C
Wally

Throw away both and go with Stren Fluoro *NM*

Post by Wally »

Gator

Re: Sugoi versus P-Line and what type of P-Line?

Post by Gator »

Jeff - I exclusively use P-Line Flourocarbon. Not the Flouroclear, as that is a Flourocarbon coated mono. I vary between 12-20 lb. test depending on the body of water and application. Currently everything I have is spooled with 15-20. Of course, the frog rod always has Power-Pro.

I use 17 or 20 lb. for jigs. I am by no means a jig master but I like the way the line performs for me.

Tight Lines!!

Gator
Cooch

Let's see if we can simplify this....

Post by Cooch »

Kureha Chemicals, parent company of Seagur and Sugoi lines, was the original inventor of Fluoro line some 20+ years ago. Their experience in manipulating PVDF properties in this line is second to none. They've got all the processes down, everyone else is on a fast track learning curve.

So the question is, do you want to use the best or not? Do you trust in a company that has been making a product for less than two years, or some with 20 years of proven experience? You can either use the real deal or ya can use the clone, your choice.

Try em both, then make yer own decissions.

Cooch
sdesign

As a follow up...

Post by sdesign »

I've personally used Seaguar's Carbon Pro Fluorocarbon line and the P-Line Fluoroclear. The Carbon Pro, like the Sugoi line I believe, is 100% Fluoro. P-Line's Fluoroclear is a copolymer.

All that aside, I find the Carbon Pro more manageable than the P-line product and it is my first choice. I continue to use both because I like the relatively smaller diameter of the P-Line and its more attractive price point, but again, if i had to choose one, I'd go with the Carbon Pro.

I've yet to try the Sugoi, but my assumption is that it's similar if not the same to the Carbon Pro.

Hope that helps.
Jeff Jewell

hey Cooch

Post by Jeff Jewell »

Has the flourocarbon improved over the last few years, that it now, can be used on spinning gear? I like it for casting reals but I really struggled with it on spinning gear
Thaks Jeff

> Kureha Chemicals, parent company of Seagur
> and Sugoi lines, was the original inventor
> of Fluoro line some 20+ years ago. Their
> experience in manipulating PVDF properties
> in this line is second to none. They've got
> all the processes down, everyone else is on
> a fast track learning curve.

> So the question is, do you want to use the
> best or not? Do you trust in a company that
> has been making a product for less than two
> years, or some with 20 years of proven
> experience? You can either use the real deal
> or ya can use the clone, your choice.

> Try em both, then make yer own decissions.

> Cooch
Cooch

The lighter tests........

Post by Cooch »

in 4 & 6# fluoro is manageable on spinning gear, but there's nothing they can do that will make it better for spinning reels and not take away from the current properties that make this line so great for level winds.

Cooch
Cooch

Naw, Shalespear's kinda like IBM Wally......

Post by Cooch »

although they may have made some of the first fishing poles & reels almost 107 years ago, everyone else has been improving on their product designs introduced since the 60s! Like IBM getting out of the PC business, Shakespear is not the high tech leader today.

Although, my very first baitcaster was a Presidential model III level wind. The absolute best in the 60's. And I still have my very first Ugly Stick! Shakespear was certainly a pioneer back then with their innovative ideas and fiberglass productions. But they have not kept up with today's high tech equiptment, now available to fishermen.

Maybe in 10-15 years, these other companies will catch up in their fluorocarbon process, but by then, we'll be fishing using some sort of Utlra Sonic, time warp, absorbtion process! No poles or line required! HAR! HAR! HAR!

Cooch
donpline

P-Line Fluorocarbon

Post by donpline »

The qualities, likes, and dislikes of fluorocarbon have been debated for some time. Companies have tried to introduce price point fluorocarbons that have given anglers a bad taste in their mouth. These are the facts. Fluorocarbon is 3 times denser than mono, thus giving it a faster sink rate. Because it is denser it sinks much faster making it a great line for senkos, dropshotting, and other types of finess fishing. Jig fisherman love it, because of the sensitivity. For top water it can be a nightmare because of the sink rate. It takes 8 times longer than monofilament to extrude, increased production time is part of the reason for the increased cost. The raw material cost is also very expensive. Cheaper fluorocarbons usually use infererior material or speed up the product time, thus sacraficing the integrity of the line.

Seagaur does make a very good fluorocarbon, but please don't believe that they make the only good fluorocarbon. P-Line introduced Fluorocarbon in 1998. And was awarded the American Sportfishing Associations award for the best product introduced that year. The extruder that makes P-Line Fluorocarbon has been making fluorocarbon since the late 80's and makes a number of the top fluorocarbons is Japan.

I am the National Sales Manager for P-Line, and have been involved in the testing of many generations of fluorocarbon. Ironically I was a salesrep for Seagaur very early on in my professional life and helped introduce the product into Northern California, so I have a very good history of both products. Both companies make very good products. Feel free to call me with any questions at 800-537-2394. And please don't believe everything you read on the internet, many people have hidden agendas on pages like this.

When on the water good luck and tight lines.
Hipster

Thanks for the reply!!!!!!!

Post by Hipster »

Interesting read

P-Line Freak and need a Sponser

Hipster
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
FATGUY

surgi/p=line

Post by FATGUY »

put anything on your reels before p=line.. string...thread shoe strings ..rope .. wire anything but p-line !!! as you see i don't like p-line.. just my preference and my .02 bob g