Handeling bass

Skunkedagain

Handeling bass

Post by Skunkedagain »

I see a lot of photos of large bass being held by their jaw. I was taught to handle larger bass by supporting their bodies with my other hand as I was told that it is harmful for the bass's jaw. What are your opinions on this? If it's true, and it makes sense to me, if we want to release these fish to live, why not handle them properly?
-Adam Paseman
Mike

Re: Handeling bass

Post by Mike »

When you hug a tree do you use protection??
OG on WB since 1993
Skunkedagain

Post by Skunkedagain »

Only when it has thorns. Thanks for your reply!
-Adam Paseman
texas john

Post by texas john »

Skunkedagain wrote:I see a lot of photos of large bass being held by their jaw. I was taught to handle larger bass by supporting their bodies with my other hand as I was told that it is harmful for the bass's jaw. What are your opinions on this? If it's true, and it makes sense to me, if we want to release these fish to live, why not handle them properly?
That is correct from one point of view. You can hold a big fish by the mouth just dont be stupidly swinging them around Iaconelli style!!!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
Melones_IS_Mine

Post by Melones_IS_Mine »

I always cringe when seeing Iaconelli fist-pump a bass Jersey style.
jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

Never fails. Everytime someone posts a monster....
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

If you hold a fish by the lip your suposed to let it hang tail down, If you lever it Horizontaly ,the fishes weight ....presuming it has some weight...will break its jaw, preventing it from feeding.

By the way....If your fish is floating in the live well...Fizz the damn thing. Nothing worse that seeing floaters at a tournament at the boat ramp.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
Steve

Post by Steve »

It doesnt hurt a big fish if you hold it only by the jaw and let it hang completely vertical (tail down). The problem comes when you really twist your hand under the jaw and use that as leverage to raise the tail upward. Hope that makes sense.
Andrew Jackson

Post by Andrew Jackson »

How do you guys know that "just by holding it by its lower jaw and letting it hang straight" down doesn't harm the fish's jaw? It would seem the more the fish weighs the more chance of injury would be. And every time I see those f'n idiots swinging the big fish around by the jaw, I just want to bitch slap em. Conservation at its best. Can you image being held by your jaw what would happen. . . wait, jaw broke, eat lots less, lose weight. . might be on to something
barse41

Post by barse41 »

i think thats the last thing some of us are thinking about when we get a fish like that. give us a break, its not like we catch fish like that everyday. i would say that is the camera mans job to remind em.
theres a fine line between fishin and standin on a boat like an idiot
midwesttransplant

Post by midwesttransplant »

barse41 wrote:i think thats the last thing some of us are thinking about when we get a fish like that. give us a break, its not like we catch fish like that everyday. i would say that is the camera mans job to remind em.
Worst argument ever. So if someone pulls out in front of you while you are driving, it is acceptable to ram into them since we don't slam on the brakes everyday? Or is it the duty of the passenger to remind me to do so?
If I call in sick, I am probably on the Delta.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Andrew Jackson wrote:How do you guys know that "just by holding it by its lower jaw and letting it hang straight" down doesn't harm the fish's jaw? It would seem the more the fish weighs the more chance of injury would be. And every time I see those f'n idiots swinging the big fish around by the jaw, I just want to bitch slap em. Conservation at its best. Can you image being held by your jaw what would happen. . . wait, jaw broke, eat lots less, lose weight. . might be on to something
Because I know, thats how I know. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to tell if, when holding a fish, you are potentially causing damage. You can see and feel if you are causing damage. The jaw of a big fish is proportional to that of a 2 pounder, so what makes you think doing that with a 2 pounder doesnt do damage? The last thing we want to do is hold a fish like Bill Dance does, now that looks like its causing damage. And, dont you think a hook does more damage than holding a fish vertical?
Andrew Jackson

Post by Andrew Jackson »

And the reason I try not to post much because there are to many "ego'd "cause I know people on here". I wasn't doubting you Steve I was asking a question. As you doubt me, I seriously doubt you and that person from Texas, "the camera man should remind me", palease......................
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

Lets get a little anthropocentric and compare a bass to a human...

We use our hands to pick up things and we use our hand to manipulate the things we pick up. Bass do the same thing with their mouth, i.e. a bass' mouth is somewhat analogous to your hands.

Does it hurt when you hang vertically downward off a tree branch?

Now try holding yourself up with your arms horizontally in front of you, your body is gonna be telling you "I don't wanna do that!"

I know it's a bit of a reach, but it should get the point across. :wink:
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

I think only the fish knows for sure...lets ask them??

They might like it, knowing they are going to be released after the photo .. :lol: