Need Peripheral Canal info.

Spookin'Em43

Need Peripheral Canal info.

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

So I am getting ready to write a college speech on the peripheral canal. I have started some research, but thought maybe some of you guys have some really good sources that I can use to help write my speech. Honestly, anything sent to me would be of help. One thing I would like to find is info or statistics indicating how much water the farmers are already getting from the pumps, is there anywhere that has some good info on that? And like I said, anything else regarding the canal would be great! Thanks!

Derrick
Derrick Hicks

Humboldt State University-FLW College Series

I Proudly Endorse:
Dobyn's Rods, RBBassfishing, Abu Garcia, El Grande Lures, Trilene, Berkely, D&M Baits, Zipper Worms, Rod Glove, Tackle Warehouse, HatCams
JustinD

Re: Need Peripheral Canal info.

Post by JustinD »

Not sure if it will help but I have photos of everything in place right now that I took a few weeks ago.....Pumps....Canal....Resevior.....DM Canal....Fish trap...Proposed Fish Trap in Patterson....ect. LEt me know if its any interest to you and I'll send them.
LL South
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

Would be great for my Slideshow, justin!
Derrick Hicks

I Proudly Endorse:
Dobyn's Rods, RBBassfishing, Abu Garcia, El Grande Lures, Trilene, Berkely, D&M Baits, Zipper Worms, Rod Glove, Tackle Warehouse, HatCams
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

PM your address and they are yours....and if you need any help I'd be more than willing to help ya.....I was a cartography/geography major in college and did some extensive research on Cal water systems.
LL South
sTony

Post by sTony »

If you look into these forum pages you'll find a lot of links to pertinent information.

You can start here:

restorethedelta.org
stopcanal.org
calsport.org
water4fish.org
pcffa.org

sTony
Last edited by sTony on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

You may also want to look up the other canal options that are being considered.

They're no longer after a canal that skirts the Delta's periphery--DWR is seriously considering an $11B tunnel running through the heart of the Delta into the main pumping station. Is it because Delta landowners don't have rights beneath their property (the government holds the mineral rights) and does a tunnel make the water theft more palatable in an "out of sight, out of mind" sort of way?
LuckyToo

Post by LuckyToo »

DWR Headquarters, 1416 9th Street, Sacramento, Ca
The library has information on the State Water Project. The library is available to students.
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

[quote="fish_food"]You may also want to look up the other canal options that are being considered.

They're no longer after a canal that skirts the Delta's periphery--DWR is seriously considering an $11B tunnel running through the heart of the Delta into the main pumping station. Is it because Delta landowners don't have rights beneath their property (the government holds the mineral rights) and does a tunnel make the water theft more palatable in an "out of sight, out of mind" sort of way?[/quote]

Didn't know that was the case, but playing devils advocate, that is a really good idea. As you said "out of sight, out of mind" unfortunately is often successful in this day and age. :evil:
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

Thanks for the info guys!!!
Derrick Hicks

I Proudly Endorse:
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

BassManDan wrote:Didn't know that was the case, but playing devils advocate, that is a really good idea. As you said "out of sight, out of mind" unfortunately is often successful in this day and age. :evil:
Yup, many Delta landowners are reluctant to let canal surveyors onto their property and tunneling could be one of the state's solutions to that obstacle. The tunneling committee meets monthly at 901 P Street.

Here's a recent article on the tunnel option from the Sacramento Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/02/12/253188 ... loser.html
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

From the interviews at the site that was broadcast about a month ago:

There are 11 pumps at Banks Pumping on the Clifton Forebay. They started off with 7 and then wanted more, so they added 4 more.

It takes 26 Megawatts to run each pump.
Remember 805 lbs of CO2 emissions per megawatt-hour
5,914 kilowatts is the avarage residential use per YEAR!

Each pumps 30,000,000 gallons per hour (that's right, 30 million!)

I always knew the aquaduct has some current in it when I tried to fish it, and it took really big weights to get the bait down, but this interview (I taped it) really opened my eyes.

Morgan
steve0806

Post by steve0806 »

Here are some sites which will give you viewpoints you will not receive from most members on this forum. I assume you want a "balanced" view.

http/www.ppic.org

http/www.cdec.water.ca.gov

[url]http/www.sustainabledelta.com

Good luck!!