Would you protest another angler during a tournament*NM**NM*

Would you protest a fellow angler for not wearing a pfd while the big motor was running?

Yes
26%
No
11%
Yes but only if I didn't like him.
5%
I would not protest anyone unless they were cheating or endangering some ones safety.
58%

Total votes: 105

2ndsuks

Would you protest another angler during a tournament*NM**NM*

Post by 2ndsuks »

*NM*
2ndsuks

Re: Would you protest another angler during a tournament*NM*

Post by 2ndsuks »

I can't count the times I've seen guys forget to wear their vest when they fired up their big motor, including myself, I just tug my vest to remind them and usually get a thanks. Protesting a competitor for something other than cheating or endangering others is petty in my book.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I agree with your thinking.
But that's just me, and if someone came up to my TD at a tournament to protest another angler running without a PFD, and he had another angler as a witness, I'm pretty sure it would be a DQ.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Stretch1

Post by Stretch1 »

i think that if your in the 5 and getting a bag off a dock or putting the boat on the trailer then you can take off the jacket...a rule is a rule no matter how big or small and all rules need to be enforced...TD's put the rules in effect for a reason we as anglers cant pick and choose what ones to follow and not follow...heck blowing a 5 isnt a big deal harms nobody yet its the most common one abused...its hard to "forget" to wear your life jacket because unless you "stow" it when you get that first spot and take it off it goes on the seat your sitting in so you need to pick it up to sit back down and head to the next spot and if its on the deck it will blow off when your running so hard to forget to wear it...petty to DQ someone for that but still a rule that needs to be enforced
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

I say protest the whiners :lol:
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Maybe instead of DQ someone for something petty they should just take off a pre determined amount of weight from their total depending on the infraction.
It's wrong to toss a guys bag out for forgetting to wear a vest.
longshot

Post by longshot »

seriously there is that many snitches out there???? Glad that i pay attention and make sure i wear mine at all times BUT honestly I think the "yes" guys are havin fun with it cause I see it all the time and have never heard of a DQ because of it.
I do worry about cheaters (caged fish, tied up fish, hidden fish, live bait ect ect) BUT even on a lake that has a 50 mph speed limit the TD says unless you get a ticket do as you do. That kinda bothers me because there is a big advantage BUT pfd mistake geez.
Hell if I wanted to wonder around I could probably find an infraction on everyone DQ em all and then I could win the tourny hmmmmmmm :P
LS
JT-Madera

Post by JT-Madera »

So let me understand you guys, the rules don't really mean anything to you unless you agree with them? So why have any rules. If you think it is petty then it doesn't count and it can be ignored.. so are you going to put a sign on your boat telling everyone which rules you will protest another angler for so we will know in advance.. or is that just another rule..

JT
JT-Madera

Post by JT-Madera »

Just so you all know I was protested because my nonboater removed his PDF inside the 5 zone to jump off the boat and go get my truck and I was DQ'ed.... we were pulling up to the dock.. I accepted the DQ because the rule was a rule..so in the future if I see someone not wearing a PDF, first I warn you then I protest..if I'm going to be DQ'd then so are you.. the poor TD had no choice in the DQ because the guy was a dick and wouldn't let it slide, yes I had the winning weight on my boat, so now I warn you..follow the rules..there is always a dick floating around...

JT
tALLkAN

Post by tALLkAN »

there is always a dick floating around...

JT[/quote]

what water are you fishing in..thats kinda gay dude :wink:
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

This rule I do not agree with, I feel it should be changed to, If the boat is on the pad you must have it on or it must be on at all times on the boat. We are at far more risk operating the TM. in front than when the boat is moving a short distance at idle speeds. Just my two cents.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

It may not be popular, but I'm tired of all the rules. I remember riding in the back of a 240z ..no. seat no seat belt.... its safer to do it right, insurance. Companies and organizations are correct to promote safety. But I'm. Tired of the rules. The CBC has PFD's fuulltime...that good too. I wouldnt bust somebody unless they endangered somebody else or cheated blatantly.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

JT,

Sorry but you don't make a damn bit of sense at all.
In your first post you make it clear that you respect all the rules, but in your second post you call the guy that protested you a dick!
So from now on you want to be that dick? :lol:
TAP25

Post by TAP25 »

I think the rule should be from blast off to check in (when big motor is on). Once checked in you usually are in the 5 and for most anglers are going to load up your boat after weighing in.
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

Anyone who would protest something like not having a PFD is a whining little baby ...Sad to say but there are a lot of these types of people in the sport of bass fishing..Some folks need to let their balls drop and man up...
WackySenko

Post by WackySenko »

JT wrote:
Just so you all know I was protested because my nonboater removed his PDF inside the 5 zone to jump off the boat and go get my truck and I was DQ'ed.... we were pulling up to the dock..

If the PFD was removed as JT was pulling up to the dock. I think that the IDIOT that protested needs to find something else to do, like get into a ladies sewing circle. I am willing to bet that the protester's nonboater or partner has done the same thing, quite a few times. I fish tournaments with my brother or my wife. I always remove my PFD as I get close to the dock and have them take the wheel, so that I can get the truck and trailer. I guess if there is an IDIOT out there like that, I will not be removing my PFD until I am on the dock. Some people have no common sense.
robertthornton

Post by robertthornton »

The rule is originally for liability and insurance reasons, and to make sure no one gets hurt, or killed. There is no way not wearing a life jacket gives you a competitive edge, so if you try to get someone DQ’d its because you are a jealous hater, or just a big cry baby.
texas john

Post by texas john »

So all you guys are saying you are going to get the truck...So you are weighed in???Seems to me it just makes more sense to turn off the big motor, get of the boat with your fish, go weigh in then your done. Once you have weighed in the tournament for you is over. I guess im confused when you say "my nonboater removed his PDF inside the 5 zone to jump off the boat and go get my truck and I was DQ'ed" by this statement it is saying to me that you have your fish weighed in....so it would be a BS DQ. All rules including the PFD one are only applicable until you weigh your fish.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
Marty

Post by Marty »

That is why you have a beer after the weigh-in!
FWebb

Post by FWebb »

I cant believe this is even an issue. Anyone who would protest another angler for removing their pfd in the no wake zone to get off the boat or stow tackle is a whiny bitch and needs to take up golf or like someone else suggested maybe knitting would be a better fit...
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

The tournament only runs from check-in until weigh-in. Maybe we should start checking guys for seatbelts or cell phone usage while driving down the ramp. What about speeding to or from the lake? To quote the famous John Curry this proposal is GHEY!!!! Real rules should be followed but not one Org. has rules in place that fall outside of the competition or official practice hours.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

2ndsuks wrote:I can't count the times I've seen guys forget to wear their vest when they fired up their big motor, including myself, I just tug my vest to remind them and usually get a thanks. Protesting a competitor for something other than cheating or endangering others is petty in my book.
I agree with this statement. In all my tournaments I filed one protest in a BASS event only after I warned the guy of the problem for the THIRD day in a row. I have talked to a dozen or so on the water instead of filing a protest. I made my point and a guy in the wrong is easily convinced. All of these ( except the BASS event) were for passing in the 5 MPH zones or going into an off-limits area to fish. I always make it a point to tell them before they cast. Only once did an angler give me shi*. I told okay fish there then........... He then tells me he did not make a cast so I could not file a protest. I laughed and said if i had wanted to protest you, I'd of waited until you made a cast to inform you that in were in an off limits area. He led the tournament that day.
sTony

Post by sTony »

JT-Madera wrote:So let me understand you guys, the rules don't really mean anything to you unless you agree with them? So why have any rules. If you think it is petty then it doesn't count and it can be ignored.. so are you going to put a sign on your boat telling everyone which rules you will protest another angler for so we will know in advance.. or is that just another rule..

JT
Very selective on the rules-following for sure.

Rather then delete it I want to point out the vulgarities and the personal attacks to contrary opinion is getting a bit out of control. Isn't it possible to debate points without adding personal insult? Not trying to stop the process but wanted to again point out that the thread could, and in some people's minds should, have been punted.

Funny thing. Three of us were standing there at the docks at Russo's on Sunday watching some boats coming in extremely early. One boat comes in with both anglers not wearing a PFD, one steering, big motor in operation, with his partner standing on the deck getting ready to step off. All three of us looked at each other and said the same thing, "I wonder if they're in the tournament?" The boat was past the check in point, well early so there was no check in boat present, and in the 5MPH.

Here's the AC/WRL rule:

SAFETY: Boating safety must be observed at all times during practice and competition. A US Coast Guard approved chest type life preserver (PFD) Type III or higher, must be worn and properly fastened any time the combustible engine is operative and the kill switch must be attached to the driver with a lanyard no longer than forty-eight (48) inches.

Here's the CBC rule:

Each contestant is required to wear a fastened U.S. Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device anytime the combustion engine is in operation from boat check until weigh-in each day of the tournament.

Now by both of these rules and contrary to most posts here, these guys could have been DQ'd for not wearing their vests and there shouldn't be an argument about it. There is no designation other then for one 'when the engine is on', which it was, and and the other is from 'boat check until weigh-in', which they were still in between having not weighed in their fish.

With the advent of SOSpenders and Mustang jackets and what not, doesn't this whole argument seem kind of dumb? Isn't it easier to put one on and keep it on, now more so then ever before? And it's really not about nit-picking but actually reading, comprehending and then following the rules set forth. All of them. Not just the one's that sound good to you or fit in with your sensibilities.

Rules define your contest, without them, you simply aren't participating in a sporting event. And the rules are there for YOUR safety as well as those around you.

I gotta wonder what y'all think when someone falls in during a tournament, at the docks, from their boat, and drowns. You think the relatives aren't going to come after the organization involved with that event? Not in this day and age baby. The lawyers will all line up and tell 'em that they have to sue each and every person working the event, the org running it, the marina hosting it and so on.

That's the biggest part of why you're supposed to keep your life vests on even when you think it isn't necessary. Most insurance companies think you do.

sTony
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

Then the rule should be changed, to have it on at all times, That would make it very simple. Picture this, 40 degree water 35 degree air temps, fishing by yourself because your partner did not show up and you fall over. With the clothing you have on your odds of survival are poor at best. Yet the rules allow us to do just that. I think we need to re think some rule, for instance I believe a hand throttle on a bass boat puts anglers at far more risk than not wearing a PFD at low speed.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

sTony wrote::

With the advent of SOSpenders and Mustang jackets and what not, doesn't this whole argument seem kind of dumb?

sTony

Not a dumb argument at all, it's pretty clear if you read the poll question.

The whole premise behind this debate is, would a tournament angler protest another contestant for not wearing a pfd, I think we all agree to wear them.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

sTony wrote: Funny thing. Three of us were standing there at the docks at Russo's on Sunday watching some boats coming in extremely early. One boat comes in with both anglers not wearing a PFD, one steering, big motor in operation, with his partner standing on the deck getting ready to step off. All three of us looked at each other and said the same thing, "I wonder if they're in the tournament?" The boat was past the check in point, well early so there was no check in boat present, and in the 5MPH.
Were they in the tournament? It seems to me, by the rules, that would be a DQ. As far as the "sue" thing where does it stop? What if you ate one of the hamburgers at the awards then got cramps and wrecked your truck driving home do you sue the cook?

Wearing a PFD is a rule but it is not going to save a life in every instance. Rules are rules and every one is as important as the other but let's keep this in perspective. Wearing a PFD is not a law. Possessing more than 5 fish or blowing a 5 zone is. I believe the rules concerning PFD's show sufficient protection of the angler's safety by the Org. That is the rule's intent. Show the Org is practing safe boating during competition and the timeframe for competition is from boat check until weigh-in. Wearing it to trailer your boat after the fish have left the boat is unnecessary unless the second part of the event is a hamburger eating contest.
some guy

Post by some guy »

Robert F wrote:The tournament only runs from check-in until weigh-in. Maybe we should start checking guys for seatbelts or cell phone usage while driving down the ramp. What about speeding to or from the lake? To quote the famous John Curry this proposal is GHEY!!!! Real rules should be followed but not one Org. has rules in place that fall outside of the competition or official practice hours.

who told you I was famous? They lied. :lol:
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
some guy

Post by some guy »

but you are dead on...

GHEY.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Maybe I am wrong, but it appears that a lot of the posts call the rule PETTY. It is a rule in tournaments and meant to save lives.
Is life PETTY ? It may not be a major violation, but it is a rule violation and everyone knows when they sign up what the rules are and what violation can mean i.e. being disqualified. Where do you draw the line of reporting a rule violation, might as well just drop all the rules and go for it, under your wishes.
I believe any rule violation should be reported, then there will never be arguments, etc. at weigh=in. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
JT-Madera

Post by JT-Madera »

Let me explain how the TD stated the rules infraction " I should have had my Am wait to remove his PDF until after he stepped on the dock, by allowing him to remove his PDF I endangered his life, because he could have fallen into the water and been injured." The TD was correct..I broke the rules and the DQ was correct. Was the guy a dick in my opinion, yes, but he was following the rules as stated. he has done this before, so beware, he still fishes tournaments. would I be a dick if I protested you for the same infraction, yep, I would. beware of the dicks in this world..or follow all the rules or change them.
all the rules are there for a reason, some we understand and some we think are foolish, but if we don't like them, it is still no excuse to ignore them or selectively ignore them..

JT
gofish42189

Post by gofish42189 »

If they just forgot and it was inside the 5mph buoys or at a safe time, such as during weigh-in, then I would simply remind them. If they were on plane or causing danger for anyone, then probably. I don't like to be the one to cause drama, but there are rule for a reason.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

the only time I'd even think about protesting is for anglers crossing over the out of bounds areas to land a fish or cast. Happens too many times to count where I fish...but even then i've not protested...yet I've backed up a protester as the fish landed WON the derby for the guy and was derby big bass.

but the guy wasn't DQ'd....not even warned. His buddy no where near the incident said he was good and the director was fine with it.

whatever...thats what taught me that even if you protest whats a director going to do? take sides from what i've seen.

Follow the rules...its really easy!!! we are all adults here..and yes the PDF thing happens but shouldn't be an issue.
swank

Post by swank »

So as the rule states every co-angler better have his pfd on when stepping on the boat if the driver is on the big motor when picking them up. So i'm pretty sure every tournament i've been in every boat should be DQ'ed i've only seen it a couple times period where a guy/gal is walking to board their boat with the jacket on. Pretty much the same deal when exiting the boat the co-angler better wear the pfd until land ho! My partner and i will wear our jackets in the truck upon backing in until pulling out the boat no big deal at all- it's the rules so both pfd's on in the truck on entry and exit. And i would never protest anyone else for this particular violation.
DPetty

Post by DPetty »

texas john wrote:So all you guys are saying you are going to get the truck...So you are weighed in???Seems to me it just makes more sense to turn off the big motor, get of the boat with your fish, go weigh in then your done. Once you have weighed in the tournament for you is over. I guess im confused when you say "my nonboater removed his PDF inside the 5 zone to jump off the boat and go get my truck and I was DQ'ed" by this statement it is saying to me that you have your fish weighed in....so it would be a BS DQ. All rules including the PFD one are only applicable until you weigh your fish.
Since you guys keep bringing up my name I'll chime in. :)

John,

Just because YOU weigh in does not necessarily mean the tourney is over. It is my understanding the tourney is over after the last contestants fish have been weighed and the weighmaster and/or director officially ends the tourney. During which time any number of accidents could occur envolving PFD's. Thus the liability and the reason for the rule.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Let me see if I get this straight! Rules copied from Tony post!
Here's the AC/WRL rule:

SAFETY: Boating safety must be observed at all times during practice and competition. A US Coast Guard approved chest type life preserver (PFD) Type III or higher, must be worn and properly fastened any time the combustible engine is operative and the kill switch must be attached to the driver with a lanyard no longer than forty-eight (4 inches).
I know I have did one or more of the below – how about you?

- On the day before the tournament while pre-fishing, I have jump on the big motor to move across the river without putting on my PFD!
- In the morning while the Co-Angler drives the truck and drops you at the ramp and you fire the big motor to get off the trailer! I have seen this by at least 95% of the field.
- Waiting for blast-off, the big motor is on and you’re on the TM with your PDF on but you’re not attached to the kill switch!
- Your lanyard is more then 48 inches long! (I have not measured my but will have too). Question, is that pulled all the way out or while it is still compressed?
- Your PDF is not fastened on the last latch because your gut is too big! That is not me but I have a few friends that cover that one.
- In winter you are tie-off to the dock but you’re warming up your motor but don’t have PFD’s on and in the boat getting your rods out!

Here's the CBC rule:

Each contestant is required to wear a fastened U.S. Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device anytime the combustion engine is in operation from boat check until weigh-in each day of the tournament.
Don’t have to worry about pre-fishing!
Need a determination on operation, does that mean running my engine or that operation mean my motor is operational while it is off and not turned on. So do I still need to have a PDF on? If that is true, then right after boat check-in I have to have my PDF on.

Situation – I have done this before. In a strong current and the wind to our backs – boat is about to hit the rocks on a bank and my TM will not pull me out – I have jump on my big motor to prevent from beaching the boat and did not put on my PDF. DQ if someone calls me on it.

This is a whole new perspective on the rules and I have to now watch my back because some one is going to be chicken shlt and report me, ok I can live with that but I’m hoping the TD make the correct call and tells the guy or gal they are chicken shlt.

There is something I call the “Spirit of the Rulesâ€
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

I was watching bull riding on the TV last night...If the buzzer sounded and the rider was thrown he has the option to protest..then they watch a relay in slow motion to see if he made the 8 seconds before being thrown...If he did make it he was rewarded if not he had to pay a $500 dollar fine...

Maybe there should be a fine of sorts for the crybaby's and chickensheet wannabees that make these kind of protests during a fishing tourny.. :twisted:
ASD

Post by ASD »

:cry:
3rd sucks worse

Post by 3rd sucks worse »

I would only protest if the Raisin Man went in front of the island at shasta instead of goin around it.Then I would have dropped the protest if he did hot laps around the island on Sunday.Gettem 2nd
snapitoff2002

Post by snapitoff2002 »

JT-Madera wrote:Just so you all know I was protested because my nonboater removed his PDF inside the 5 zone to jump off the boat and go get my truck and I was DQ'ed.... we were pulling up to the dock.. I accepted the DQ because the rule was a rule..so in the future if I see someone not wearing a PDF, first I warn you then I protest..if I'm going to be DQ'd then so are you.. the poor TD had no choice in the DQ because the guy was a dick and wouldn't let it slide, yes I had the winning weight on my boat, so now I warn you..follow the rules..there is always a dick floating around...

JT
I'm sorry.. I'm a really nice guy, but I know I would be thinking of breaking that guy in HALF if this happened to me. I had a petty thing happen to me a couple years ago, and the guy bragged of how he DQ'd Cooch, and others.. I don't fish that circuit anymore.
Josh Palmer

"Champions keep playing till they get it right"
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Yes I would protest an angler who broke a rule that gave him a competitive advantage, or could endager himself, another competitor or the general public. Running a 5 on pad, running without a life jacket, fishing in an off limits area, etc...As far as protesting because someone takes there PFD off to hook the boat to the trailer, or a co stepping off the boat that seems ticky tack. Ray L changed the rules for Top Stick that is now very specific about PFD wear. Seems to make sense and maybe the other orgs should do the same to remove any questions about what the rule is.
Smitty
VJ

Post by VJ »

I was at Shasta over the weekend as a Am and i really think after your done weighing in ur fish your tournament rules should not apply. It is ridiculous to DQ someone after their done weighing in their fish. Life isnt something to take lightly but really how many people have died in the 5 mph zone going from their boat to the dock. Really we are all adults for the most part and to DQ someone for that is dumb. Rule are rules, that doesnt mean all rule make sense or shouldnt be changed.
sTony

Post by sTony »

VJ wrote:I was at Shasta over the weekend as a Am and i really think after your done weighing in ur fish your tournament rules should not apply. It is ridiculous to DQ someone after their done weighing in their fish. Life isnt something to take lightly but really how many people have died in the 5 mph zone going from their boat to the dock. Really we are all adults for the most part and to DQ someone for that is dumb. Rule are rules, that doesnt mean all rule make sense or shouldnt be changed.
Does a tournament's organizations responsibility to its anglers end when you weigh in your catch? I don't believe the insurance companies look at it that way at all.

sTony
VJ

Post by VJ »

Well if in the rules it read that after you weigh in ur fish, tournament rules don't apply because technically the tournament is over, wouldn't it be ur own responsibility if anything happened. Again we should all have enough experience especially on the Pro's side to make good judgment calls if a situation is unsafe. I really think the rule should be changed so when ur team receives their weigh in slip ur tournament day is over as well as Tourney rules applying.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

sTony wrote:
Rules define your contest, without them, you simply aren't participating in a sporting event.
sTony
A golfer leading a tournament for the big money hit a twig on his back swing and DQed himself the other day. What a stupid rule.

I have the utmost respect for him

A fisherman in the Clearlake Bassmasters in contention for AOY found his rookie non boater had put a 6th fish in the live well. He could have slipped it out unnoticed. He DQed himself and his non boater to make a point and to be honest

Nothing but respect for the guy.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
egomaniac

Post by egomaniac »

Greg_Cornish wrote:
sTony wrote:
Rules define your contest, without them, you simply aren't participating in a sporting event.
sTony
A golfer leading a tournament for the big money hit a twig on his back swing and DQed himself the other day. What a stupid rule.

I have the utmost respect for him

A fisherman in the Clearlake Bassmasters in contention for AOY found his rookie non boater had put a 6th fish in the live well. He could have slipped it out unnoticed. He DQed himself and his non boater to make a point and to be honest

Nothing but respect for the guy.
Im with ya on that, truth hurts but doesnt make yo a loooooser!!
Plus hell I want to live to fish another day you dont know whats comming on the water.
Julian hernandez
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
ASD

Post by ASD »

VJ wrote:Well if in the rules it read that after you weigh in ur fish, tournament rules don't apply because technically the tournament is over, wouldn't it be ur own responsibility if anything happened. Again we should all have enough experience especially on the Pro's side to make good judgment calls if a situation is unsafe. I really think the rule should be changed so when ur team receives their weigh in slip ur tournament day is over as well as Tourney rules applying.
So dose this mean that after the weigh in and you get your slip that all the photos and press bs and getting your cheak is not part of the turrny?
egomaniac

Post by egomaniac »

[quote="VJ"]I was at Shasta over the weekend as a Am and i really think after your done weighing in ur fish your tournament rules should not apply. It is ridiculous to DQ someone after their done weighing in their fish. Life isnt something to take lightly but really how many people have died in the 5 mph zone going from their boat to the dock. Really we are all adults for the most part and to DQ someone for that is dumb. Rule are rules, that doesnt mean all rule make sense or shouldnt be changed.[/quote

Personal Conduct on or off the water. Rules, standards, laws.
Julian hernandez
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

I personally would not protest someone under these circumstances, but you have a right to. It is a rule and if someone calls you on it, your done. Yes it might piss you off, but you broke the rule and your done. Just my .02
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
VJ

Post by VJ »

Question asked : So dose this mean that after the weigh in and you get your slip that all the photos and press bs and getting your cheak is not part of the turrny?

Well i guess we should keep our life jackets on the dock too because what if we slip and hit our heads fall in the water and die. This should be a new rule, Right? I guess everyone has their own opinion but after the weigh in i feel it shouldnt matter. Again say what you want rules are definitely important but that doesnt make all rules right.
Everyone have great fishing days ahead and good luck.
sTony

Post by sTony »

ASD wrote: So dose this mean that after the weigh in and you get your slip that all the photos and press bs and getting your cheak is not part of the turrny?
Imagine this scenario. You finish in the top 5 that day and you get your checks and wood and the TD yells out that he'd like the top 5 teams to pose for a photo. Top 5 teams assemble on a deck and the TD gets ready to snap the photo and the deck collapses injuring several people. So for the org the tournament doesn't end until everyone has packed up and gone home. The competition ends when the scales are closed and protests are usually allowed for only so long once that happens.

As an organization I'm sure you'd like to believe that you'd have some coverage for yourself if that were to occur. In order to have that expectation you have to follow the deal as laid out by the carrier. In order to be insured for an on the water event, no mater where it were to occur, an insurance carrier is gonna want to know that you have such rules and that they're enforced. It's no mystery that insurance investigators work to find reasons not to pay out on a claim. Not wearing a PFD is an easy and likely one of the first questions asked when incidents occur on the water.

So we'd all likely be doing our tournament orgs a favor by putting on and wearing the vest before we ever turn the key or press the button that starts up that big motor.

Now, whether you protest a guy for something like is up to you and it seems most wouldn't. But it's also good to know that many would at the least say something to the guys so at least they're aware. If you think tragedy can't happen in a 5MPH or no wake zone, you're sadly mistaken. And even if the occurrence is rare, you just don't want to ever witness or experience something like that if it can be avoided.

sTony