Advice on fiberglass repair in or near San Jose?

ChuckP

Advice on fiberglass repair in or near San Jose?

Post by ChuckP »

I hit an unmarked rock pile at lake Coyote and have 2 gouges in the keel about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch deep and numerous shallow scratches all on the bottom. The bottom is black with no glitter and should be easy to color match. Sides with glitter are not damaged.

Any recommendations for a good fiberglass shop in or near San Jose? I would like to keep the cost down and think that color matching should not be difficult. Is do it yourself a good option?

Thanks much
Chuck
Last edited by ChuckP on Sun May 02, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASD

Re: Good and inexpensive fiberglass repair in or near San Jo

Post by ASD »

"Good and inexpensive" :roll: try craigs list :wink:
NoCAL

Re: Good and inexpensive fiberglass repair in or near San Jo

Post by NoCAL »

I did the same thing in Little Franks. I bought some mylar sheets, gel coat, catalyst, sanding blocks, and some black gel coat tint and did it myself. There wasn't really that much too it. With the correct sandpaper and some good rubbing compound you can do it. I had a number of scratches/gouges on my bottom. Most I did with gel coat but one near the back I filled with grey Marine Tex tinted black. That one doesn't look as good as the gel coated ones cause it's not as shiny but on the bottom it doesn't make much difference. You can see a very good and informative video on the TAPS fiberglass site. If you don't do it yourself, I have found good fiberglass work just plain doesn't come cheap. Bragg's Marine in Anderson has the best prices and does great work but you said you wanted someone in the Bay Area so I think you will end up paying for it or DIY.

NoCAL
TonyM

Re: Advice on fiberglass repair in or near San Jose?

Post by TonyM »

Smooth as Glass in Riverbank was highly recommended to me by several people. Very happy with their service and work. Not sure if they still do, but they used to do warantee glass work for several bass boat companies.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

pro fiberglass in livermore. My boat is there now! 925-447-0884.

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

DanIsaac wrote:pro fiberglass in livermore. My boat is there now! 925-447-0884.

Dan
Make sure you bring lots of money. LOTS :roll:
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

Dan
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

Dan
Fast 492

Post by Fast 492 »

Come on Reza is not that far off on his prices and the service is worth the little extra, Pro Fiberglass in Livermore is who I recommend... :wink:
The only sport besides golf that you can only blame yourself !!!

Jason Bubier-Director
NorCal90 Fishing
WildWestBassTrail, CA
530-230-8868
530-589-2601
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

Fast 492 wrote:Come on Reza is not that far off on his prices and the service is worth the little extra, Pro Fiberglass in Livermore is who I recommend... :wink:

UHHHH........................ OK :roll: :roll: :roll: If you need gel coat work maybe. Try gettin some real glass work done and get back to me. TOTAL JOKE....... FACT
rexford

Post by rexford »

Let me guess. Was that little rock pile on the left hand corner
of the dam? If so I have hit it too. If not. Keep an eye out for
it.
ChuckP

Post by ChuckP »

Yes, the rock pile ia near the dam, on the ramp side of the lake, about 10 yards past the 5 mph buoy and 15 yards from the shoreline. With the water somewhat muddy it is very hard to see. Rocks are only about 6 inches under the water. I hit them at about 3 mph enough to do real damage. No hazard buoy. I have emailed the head ranger asking that they place a hazard buoy there. No response so far.
ChuckP

Post by ChuckP »

Has anyone ever used BOATFIXERGUY,COM Bob Coons?

He claims to do Mobile Fiberglass Repair and Mobile Gel Coat Repair and Refinishing. have over 30 years professional Marine experience to help you with all of your boating needs.
JRS71

Post by JRS71 »

I hit the same bleeping rock yesterday!!! :evil: Cruising from the dam towards the 5 mph bouy with my 2 year old and mom and WHAM!!! Chipped the skeg and ruined the SS prop!! That was a $600 mistake!!! Also took a little gel coat off the bottom but the prop took the brunt of the abuse.

Somebody is going to really get hurt if they don't do something. I told the inspector that they really need to put a hazard bouy on that spot and he said "ohhh...here is your quaga mussel band".

Jim S.
Jim S.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I know it's a drive for you but Braggs Marine in Anderson has GREAT prices and does FLAWLESS work. I just had a screw up a few weeks ago, right before selling the boat naturally. I showed the new buyer then had Bob fix it. FLAWLESS as always. After a bad repair and 6 return trips years ago, that never fixed it right. I drive to Braggs only. I'm sure there are other great ones, but Bob Bragg is who I have experience with for the last dozen years or so. KB and a pile of others will vouch for him as well.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

without a doubt Bob is among the best, and I too have always used him for all my repairs. I just can't do those 9 hr turnaround drives anymore!

Either way both do excellent work!

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com