Trailer Leaf Springs ?

bassman1975

Trailer Leaf Springs ?

Post by bassman1975 »

The leaf springs on the trailer are squicking badly to the point you car hear them while traveling down the high way. Even loader when going slow and when the boat bounces around. Any suggestions on how to fix this. Can I just WD40 them. Any help would be appreciated.
MikeD

Re: Trailer Leaf Springs ?

Post by MikeD »

while there are those that say that WD40 is a lube I say it is a solvent - mix WD40 into some grease and stir the mix around to see the WD40 thin the mix out - and will remove any remaining lube left in your spring pack. it won't provide any long term lubrication and is the wrong product

in best to worst order -> axle grease, white lithium, silicon spray, 30wt - all would be better in my world vs WD40. you'll want to loosen the spring pack bolt to get the leafs apart in order to get some space for the grease to get in there - a needle tip on a grease gun would be money. But be careful not to pull that nut too far off the spring pack bolt else you'll end up with springs and crap flying everywhere and a real mess on your hands.

that said, usually there are slick plastic pads in the spring packs at the rub points, sounds like yours are worn out. any decent spring shop should be able to fix you up without much effort. better to do the right repair then just apply a band-aid, don't want to break a spring while towing and take the chance of destroying your boat.

"I'll just drop it on their head, and then rip their lips off with a TV hookset..." <i>unnamed angler when discussing how he fishes a jig</i>
bassman1975

Post by bassman1975 »

Thanks for your info
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

slick plastic pad = "Teflon leaf spring wear pad"
"I'll just drop it on their head, and then rip their lips off with a TV hookset..." <i>unnamed angler when discussing how he fishes a jig</i>
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

Before DHM Trailer closed their shop in Sacramento, they told me not to apply any lubricant to the bushings. I would replace the bushings and consider replacing the bolts as well. New leaf springs are not that expensive so if you are keeping this trailer you might want to consider that too. I did all mine myself and it made a world of difference.