Shimano CU-201E7 Brake Collars?

Flippinjigs

Shimano CU-201E7 Brake Collars?

Post by Flippinjigs »

I've owned Shimano Reels seems like forever. My first Shimano reel was a spinning reel MLX 200 which I believe to be the first spinning reel ever to have the Quick fire lever on the bail. Purchased it in 1982. I still have it with the manual and few extra bail return springs that fits the MLX 300 also. So should anyone out there have one of these reels and need a quick fire bail return spring I have about three of the exrta heavy springs (PM me). Any way as I said I own many Shimano reels: My list grew larger with the second CU-201E7 added to my equipment today. I even have a dedicated flippin reel Shimano put out in 80's Call the Brush Buster 10 Plus with a fighting drag. And who could forget the Black Magnum GT, and the Black Magnum GT w/fightin drag.

Well anyway I have a question? As I said I purchased my second Shimano CU-201E7 today got a real good deal from www.ohya.com. In the box with the reel is a small plastic bag with oil, Red and Green brake collars. Who can tell me why one set of collars are Red and one set of the collars are GREEN. The manual don't address the colors. I was thinking one was bigger or heavier so you can fine tune the reel? But "TO ME" they sure look the same size even under a magnifying glass.

Good Fishin
ClearCreek

Re: Shimano CU-201E7 Brake Collars?

Post by ClearCreek »

Here is what I have been told:

The Pink, Clear, and Smoke weights are lighter and are most commonly used for every application. The Green weights are heavier and for use with lures that require more braking action. The grey weights are even heavier for use with lures that need more braking action than what the green can provide.

Hope this helps,

ClearCreek
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

The difference in weight is very small. When you add this small amount of weight to a spool that only weighs 13 grams you will see a noticeable difference. The green weights have more mass between the OD and ID compared to the pink.
Flippinjigs

Post by Flippinjigs »

Ok Thank You for the info. I always used the spool tension knob to control lure weight. But toward the end a of a cast it makes sense that you might want to slow the spool speed down. My thumb works fine also.

Good Fishin
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

The brakes are for the beginning to middle of the cast. Your thumb or cast control can be used to adjust it for the end of the cast. I prefer to keep the cap a little on th eloose side and use the brakes for optimal casting performance.