Spinning reels and Flouro.....

BASSTUD

Spinning reels and Flouro.....

Post by BASSTUD »

Back in the day when spinning gear was all i used, i never had a problem respooling my reels with mono, but now Im respooling my only spinning reel with 17lbs Berkley Vanish Flouro and i keep getting horable line twist, anyone have an idea why?? P.S. Please dont tell me it matters if the line is coming off the top or bottom of the line spool lol....thanks in advance.
Bill K

Re: Spinning reels and Flouro.....

Post by Bill K »

#1, unless you have a large spool any 100% fluro over about 8-10 lb will be hard to handle and use on a spin reel.
#2, for line twist, no matter, put a barrel swivel on the line and then use about 3-6 ft of leader to the lure, etc. this will aid in stopping line twist.
I really do not go above 8 lb on any spinning reel, other than the large one's I use for salmon and offshore. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Use a baitcaster and I'm not saying that to be a jerk or anything but 17lbs flouro is too stiff for any normal size spinning reel. I stopped using any flouro over 8lbs on spinning reels. Too much twist and it will just shoot off the reel like a slinky.
lil nitro

Post by lil nitro »

I recently bought 8# vanish cuz they didnt have 100% flouro. Big mistake first time out I had such horrible line twist I took it off and put on yozuri hybrid I had in the boat and it was night and day.... No more crazy line twist of course there is always twist. I believe the vanish is better suited for baitcasters imo.
flipit

Post by flipit »

I have no problems with the Vanish. However my general rule is nothing over 10lb on my 3500 Diawa spinning reels. 12 and above Id rather use a baitcaster anyway.
Fishing should be fun.
drew

Post by drew »

I agree.
Tin Can wrote:Use a baitcaster and I'm not saying that to be a jerk or anything but 17lbs flouro is too stiff for any normal size spinning reel. I stopped using any flouro over 8lbs on spinning reels. Too much twist and it will just shoot off the reel like a slinky.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

THe smart thing to do now is use a main line and flurocarbon leader atached with a double uni knot or albright knot. I prefer to use 10-20# braid , like prower pro or diawa samurai. the short length of FC wont twist or develop significant memory..the braid doesnt twist and lasts more than a year making its cost worth it. You would be suprised at the benedits this set up has beyond line preservation.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

acm95301 wrote:THe smart thing to do now is use a main line and flurocarbon leader atached with a double uni knot or albright knot. I prefer to use 10-20# braid , like prower pro or diawa samurai. the short length of FC wont twist or develop significant memory..the braid doesnt twist and lasts more than a year making its cost worth it. You would be suprised at the benedits this set up has beyond line preservation.
+1 If you want to use flurocarbon line this is the best way to go on a spinning reel IMHO.

I personally am still using my Bulk spool of 8 and 6# Sufix DNA copolymer line. I also use P Line Fluroclear in 8-10 also a copolymer line both have very little memory and have served me very well...especially that SUFIX DnA
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

+3, I use spyder wire 15lb crystyl with a 20 ft FC leader, The only way to fly. I would use power pro if I could find it in white.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

I also am interested in hi-vis braid, especialy for wacky rigged senkos...just have nopt done it yet.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

YYYUUUPPPP ! Braid is S W E E T ! for this application.I recently started using this set up myself,also ,at the union you can use your favorite knot,OR a small swivel , depending on app.
~ Tony