Help Fishing with Frogs

Fishingtime

Help Fishing with Frogs

Post by Fishingtime »

Hi All, Over the past couple years I have tried using frogs. I've gotten some but not alot. Whats the best way to fish them, what colors to choose for the body of water your fishing. I mainly fish Delta and Clearlake. Do you look for the real cheesy looking stuff, open water or the real weedy stuff? Any tips you can help with. I would really like to fish more with the frog. I would like to take my son out this weekend and have him see what the frog fishing is like. Is there any type of frog bite at the Delta? I plan on launching at Paridise point. Any good frog water around that area? Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Riplip

Re: Help Fishing with Frogs

Post by Riplip »

Keep it simple with colors. Something YOU can see well is a good place to start. Black or white will usually get bit. Look for any shade during midday, otherwise just thow it wherever you normally catch fish.The best thing about froggin is that you can throw it almost anywhere...like way back behind the tulles...and you can fish it fast. Hope this helps!
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com
rxfish

Post by rxfish »

The new May/June BassWestUSA magazine has a lot of interesting stuff on frog fishing some of which you might be able to use.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Rip Lip is dead on in terms of starting colors Black and White...I would add tweety and bullfrog into the mix as well.

In terms of where to throw it, I look for mats that have holes and openings, be it cheese or thick grass. But Idealy the broken up grass that is just laying down or canopying over that has some water on top is typically broken up enough for the fish to come through.

Dead Lay down tulles, tulle pockets along the rip rap walls, open water like a spook, over hydrilla around chocked up docs. It really is a topwater bait that you can throw anywhere...if you get stuck in throwing it over cheese mats you are missing 3/4s of the bites.

Once you are out there throwing it you start reading the grass, too thick the fish will never get through....does the grass roll or displace water when you bait lands? When you see the mat roll or water movement does the water displace on top of the structure? Fry present, shad, bluegill, birds, any type of life activity? These are good starts.

Paying attention to edges and break lines is important too....changes in grass and weed types, points, coloration etc.... these transition changes are the same to me as when structure fishing in deep ponds bass tend to relate to a edges....each change or transition creates an opportunity for an edge = opportunity for a bass to relate to it.

Gawd that was a long response, and I hope you can gleen something worth while from it. Keep throwin that frog, until you become very combfortable in fishing it.

Ps I just started fishing Ish's Phat frog and really like how it walks, pops etc.... every frog is unique and will require some adjustments find one that is dialed in and mark it so that you know that is a winner!
rip555

Post by rip555 »

Ish's Phat Frog is awesome! In all of my whole experience fishing the frog (ONE TIME!), I was told one thing. Whatever you do, keep that tip up and don't let the fish turn. If you need to go get the fish in the junk, so be it. You might need to net up all the weeds and grass along with the fish once you get the fish stuck in the weeds.

Result: nice 7.5 lber
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Ash pretty much nailed it, good post.

One thing I would add is to put a split ring on the frog if it doesn't already have one. It makes it walk much easier when fishing open water.
scott h

Post by scott h »

The color thing is as simple as the posts above have mentioned, Kepp it simple if you are throwing white and not getting reactions or the fish are rolling on it but not taking it change to black and go over the same area again. Also on the delta the areas I try to target are tule points near current with small patches of grass in the little cuts in the tules, You have the elements big fish need, cover= tulles and grass= shade, current near by= oxygen and a avenue to push food to the bass.

Concentrate on high percentage areas to up the odds of bigger and more fish, another reason I like the areas mentioned vs dense grass mats is the hook-up percentage goes way up and tule points are alot less difficult to identify than vast grass flats.

As far as clear lake I look for the same things around the tules but also fish the bays that have big boulders,grass and tules and the only difference in retrieve is at clear lake it pays to work the frog all the way back to the boat, most of the time they will follow your frog a long ways in open water and crush it right at the boat.

Think of the bass you are fishing for to have the same wants and needs as humans, when it is hot they want shade and food.

Tight lines Scott h.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Rbass519

Post by Rbass519 »

There has been some good feed back so far for you. One thing I would add to these responses is, you should try a poppin' frog. Spro frogs have produced very well for me. Another thing I do is put scent on the frog. Bio edge makes a frog potion that seems to help.
The good part is frogs are cheap so you can buy 4 or 5 and experiment with the color without going broke. Good luck!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Rbass519 wrote:There has been some good feed back so far for you. One thing I would add to these responses is, you should try a poppin' frog. Spro frogs have produced very well for me. Another thing I do is put scent on the frog. Bio edge makes a frog potion that seems to help.
The good part is frogs are cheap so you can buy 4 or 5 and experiment with the color without going broke. Good luck!
Scent = lubrication - nice point yamamotos scent (not the megabass) is very slippery and stays on the frog for a while...the lube makes it easier for the froggy to go down the fishes gullet and slide out allowing for better hook penetration. Rbass is the Bioedge slick as snot?
Rbass519

Post by Rbass519 »

The potion is. I use the potion for lube (on my frog!! :oops: ) and the wand for longer lasting scent.
Fishingtime

Post by Fishingtime »

Thanks all for the great tips, I'll be trying these this weekend. :) I just received my basswestusa mag and will read up on that as well.

Thanks again all. I really appreciate it.