Braid with fluoro leader...

R.Cook

Braid with fluoro leader...

Post by R.Cook »

I have been playing around with the braid to fluoro leader on my spinning reels and am liking it so far. The question I have is I'm looking for some feedback on doing it on casting gear. Like throwing jigs, shakey heads etc.... anyone doing it? What are the Pros/Cons? Just trying to get some feedback. Thanks
Kelly Ripa

Re: Braid with fluoro leader...

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Ya can't get a backlash on spinning gear with the knot going through the guides...while it is a-typical it can happen with the baitcaster and in general any backlsh in braid ain't good.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Most of my rigs up here on the Delta are now either straight braid or braid with a leader... including my casting gear. Works fine... for flipping rigs I usually use a short leader, and with casting bait setups I use longer leaders. Unless you're using heavy braid with heavy leader, the knot is usually fairly small and can pass through the guides just fine.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I have put Fireline crystal on most of my reels (spin and baitcasters) and then use a floroclear leader and like it very well set up this way.
No memory, casts well and feel is much better, I believe. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
barse41

Post by barse41 »

i dont like the shorter leaders. i think the braid puts too much shock on the knot during the hookset. what kind of knot do you guys use? i use a uni uni. every time iv felt that good thump i broke off on the hooset at the knot.
theres a fine line between fishin and standin on a boat like an idiot
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

If you are winding your knots in opposite directions when you tie the dbl. uni you should never brake off on the hook set.
LET'S GO BRANDON
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

i have used the braid to floro leaders on a casting set up and love it. Good feel and lots of power.

I use the Seaguar knot to connect the lines and don't have any problems at all. No slipping or anything and holds very strong!

I usually use a short leader of 2-3 ft at most and have no issues with the line going through the guides at all.

:D
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Anyone using the Hollow Spectra that is now coming out in smaller diameters, such as 80lb? The initail cost is expensive, but looks like you would save $$ over time.
barse41

Post by barse41 »

Kelly Ripa wrote:If you are winding your knots in opposite directions when you tie the dbl. uni you should never brake off on the hook set.
Thanks, ill try that
theres a fine line between fishin and standin on a boat like an idiot
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

The hollow spectra is big on the offshore boats. They can load up the reel with smaller diameter stronger line put in the no knot flouro top shot and it's time to wench some tuna. I only had one issue with a knot going through the guides. I was trying to throw hudds with a short leader and like 40 flouro and *snap* away she goes. I never had a problem with say 30 pound to 15 flouro when I used it. I use my dropshot rod (820s Loomis) to use shakey heads with 10 pound to 8 pound....no problems...Course I'm not fishing Clear Lake or the Delta either... :wink:

But if I was I have plenty of confidence with that set up and that's the way I fish it. 10#Power Pro - 8# Seagar Carbon pro...The knots smaller.
LET'S GO BRANDON
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I am thinking about loading up one of my sticks with the hollow spectra for next year and trying it out as a top shot.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Next time you're over, remind me to let you check out some of my salt stuff... I have many of them (all my Internationals, and a couple of handfulls of Daiwa Satists) loaded with hollow braid (Line One Spectra).

Changing/replacing the leader on hollow braid is a bit of a PITA and is pretty time-consuming, as you have to use needles to open the braid enough, far enough, to get the leader inside. You also have to polish the end of the flourocarbon so that it is smooth and will push through the 'tunnel'.

You then seize the splice with thread or floss, and can optionally also use glue to finish the splice joint.

Works great though... very small diameter joint and strong as hell when done correctly.

Roger
S. Bailey

Post by S. Bailey »

if you guys are having a problem with breaking off fish on a flouro leader its no surprise. The flouro we use to tie leaders is for sure not good enough. Mono is the only way to go when tying a leader. When I DO use flouro leaders ITS SALTWATER SEAGUAR LEADER LINE or any other saltwater flouro leader company. Salt water leader material as most of you know is super expensive ! Like 20 buck for 50 yards or something. And if you ever wondered why its because saltwater flouro is much better grade of flouro . Better than any of our fresh water bulk flouro companies offer. I broke off fish on hooksets for 2 years on all size leaders big and small until an expert laughed at me and told me why. Hope this helps guys
****BASS AKWARDS PRODUCTIONS **** Presents : The Big Bait Posse...Volume 1
The craziest Swimbait video in History. You have never seen so many giant swimbait fish jammed into one Action Packed DVD. Hope everybody enjoy's !!
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Unlike most bass anglers today, I learned to cast a baitcaster with dacron braid. Nylon momofilament leader came out and we did what everyone is doing today with superbraids; added a leader.
The question could be "do I need a fluoro leader with superbraid"?
The answer may superprise you; no! most of the time the small diameter superbraid doesn't spook the bass or reduce strikes.
2 knots can and will fail with FC leader attachments, aviod it if possible.
Tom
rexford

Post by rexford »

If your fishing braid around structure you need a leader. Drag
it across a rock or two and it is compromised and will likely fail
on hook set. Blood knot is a pain to tie but in 10 years it has
never failed me. I have not tried the uni knot