Boat in the garage???

kopper_bass

Boat in the garage???

Post by kopper_bass »

OK,
I just moved and now i have a big as* 3 car garage, so for the 1st time my boat is now indoors.... SWEET!

So here is a question for you guys.

Is there any concern for the back of the boat being too close to the Hot Water Heater or the Furnace? My boat is pretty tight, so i dont have leaking gas or anything, but due to the angle my motor and the transom are right up against them. i cant angle it the other way because the workbench is in the way.

should i be concerned? :roll:

Kopper
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
brambo0311

Re: Boat in the garage???

Post by brambo0311 »

Would you worry about your car being parked that close?

I wouldn't worry about it. Water heaters don't get all freaky and jump on bass boats very often. I have over a 200,000 rounds stored next to mine. If I'm pink mist tomorrow, disregard this message.
LL
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

brambo0311 wrote:Would you worry about your car being parked that close?

I wouldn't worry about it. Water heaters don't get all freaky and jump on bass boats very often. I have over a 200,000 rounds stored next to mine. If I'm pink mist tomorrow, disregard this message.
No wonder folks had a hard time finding primers a while back :lol:
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

If push comes to shove... you may wan to consider replacing your water heater with a tankless water heater. They are very small, efficient and will actually save you money down the road.

I am getting ready to install one myself. The ROI is less than 3 years from what I can gather. I wish there was a similar solution for the furnace.

http://www.tanklesswaterheaterguide.com/
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
davet.

Post by davet. »

Just be careful backing it in. Maybe paint some lines on the floor to follow with a stopping point.
I should know, there's bunch of half moon shaped holes in the sheetrock behind my boat from the prop.
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

You water heater should be up 18" off the floor on a platform, and so should your furnace.
Garages are supposed to have venting to the outside within 12" of the floor, to prevent the build up of carbon monoxide, and the appliances are purposely held above that level so the CO won't be able to smother their pilot lights.
Be sure you have ventilation, and that it's not blocked by stuff stored in front of it, or plants and dirt on the outside.
Depending on how old your home is, there may also be a pipe bollard in front of the water heater and furnace, to keep you from backing into them. That's probably more of a danger than fumes from your boat being ignited by the water heater or furnace. Most furnaces today have electric ignition, not pilot lights, anyway, but they could still ignite fumes when they do fire up.
Leaking gas fumes are dangerous, so just be sure you boat isn't leaking, and you should be fine. If you smell something, check it out.
I have a few friends who garage their boats, and they haven't had any problems.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Marty

Post by Marty »

Kopper,

Get a small rubber ball and hang it from the ceiling over the back of your motor. You will have to adjust it to be able to see the ball while backing in your boat. Have it set to where the ball hits (moves) when the back of your motor touches it – this will let you know to stop with out hitting the wall of your garage. Save time and your back from pushing the boat to the desired position.

Put a mark on the back of your wall to align your back up position of your boat – it is easier to see then lines on the floor. What I use is a photo of my “Personnel Bestâ€
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

Damn Marty....thats some complicated shiot. How about those Punch Rig directions you gave a year ago or so (need an engineering degree to sort through those).....Dude get a sack and back that mutha in.....nothing in the garage is gonna catch fire. Takes me all of 2 minutes to back it into my garage (at an angle) right next to the water heater. Throw the jack down and kick the wheel to the side and your off.
LL South
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Joe,
Nice to finally hear that Skeeter will be sleeping in a garage...
I got an easy fix for you...you said you got a 3 car garage now...just put the boat on the side that does not have the water heater there... :lol: problem solved sir ~ if you can't do that, you should not have a problem close to the wtr/htr...I have had mine within about 6 inches of my water heater for over 2 years now and there have been no problems reflected to the boat/motor...just don't hit the water heater...unless you want to stand on the deck of your boat in the garage and practice casting into "actual water" :lol:

Randy
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
bassmonkey

Post by bassmonkey »

I park mine in the garage near the water heater and so does a buddy. I worry about it sometimes as I have heard of one explosion about 8 years due to fuel vapors from the bass boat igniting by the water heater. It does happen, but pretty rare I am sure. I crack the garage door and open the side door when I am home to let any fumes escape. Your fuel cap has a vent built into it and does let fumes out.
adman

Post by adman »

And make sure you leave the hatch open when you are charging your batteries!
adman

Post by adman »

And make sure you leave the hatch open when you are charging your batteries!
Flippinjigs

Post by Flippinjigs »

I have kept my boats in the garage for over 30 years. The motor within four feet of my water heater now. And one boat (motor) within one foot of the gas water heater. I had that boat for over 18 years. I never had an issue. Of course that dosn't mean something can't happen. Water heaters are elevated because gas vapor hover low to the ground and in low points or davits. Like most here it has crossed my mind of just how close my engine is to the gas water heater. As long as I don't have any leaking fuel, and the cowling is installed I don, see an issue.

Good Fsihin