Need Advice. Moving to Norrthern CA.

cull25

Need Advice. Moving to Norrthern CA.

Post by cull25 »

Hey guys,
My company is moving me to San Fran Bay area and I was looking for some advice on areas to live. They will be putting me up in an apartment and will be renting for a little while. I am a single 29 year old male and would like to be in an area that is safe and a lot to offer. I would like a place that has some restraunts bars and/or night life close by. Not looking to move into the downtown area of San Fran but anywhere within say 30 mins. Also if you could pass on some lakes that are in the areas as well I would appreciate it. I currently fish in the NJ B.A.S.S Federation and will probably be joining out there as well. Also is there another place I can look up info on local clubs? Thanks
ASD

Re: Need Advice. Moving to Norrthern CA.

Post by ASD »

Burlingame Ca, 94010
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

Concord or Wallnut Creek. You will be close to the Delta, Berryessa, Clear Lake, Contra Loma, Lafayette Res., Del Valle, Sonoma, Chabot etc. Antioch and Brentwood are not too bad either, night life kinda lacks in brentwood but Antioch has plenty of bars and what not along A street (Mutiny is probably the best one and owned by a friend of mine :))
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
Captain Morgan

Post by Captain Morgan »

Walnut Creek. If you're working in downtown SF BART stops there, it has some pretty good bars (not to mention a very healthy cougar population), close to local lakes and the delta, and it's affordable and safe.
bob tratar

Post by bob tratar »

Even though this is not the political forum it's sad that your company would put you right in the middle of Pelosi, Boxer, and Feinstien. Being from Ohio this is the greatest state for climate and FISHING. Welcome!
Topwater Terry

you're right Bob...

Post by Topwater Terry »

this aint the political forum...
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

cull25 wrote:I would like a place that has some restraunts bars and/or night life close by. Not looking to move into the downtown area of San Fran but anywhere within say 30 mins.
The Mission District if you're young. Gentrification has been happening long enough so you'll get a good blend of the more hip/contemporary cultural diversions mixed with some of the rougher, original neighborhood flavor (kinda like Williamsburg in Brooklyn maybe). Known for good book, record and thrift stores, coffee joints o' plenty, great movie houses (The Roxie and The Castro), cheap eats, high end eats, all kinds of bars and best of all: plenty of taquerias (Super Burritos!!!) These are all within easy walking distance. To commute downtown, BART and Muni are nearby if you don't drive. Parking can be a real pain though--but you're from NJ so the urban environment isn't anything new.

SF is fun at your age. The Rockridge area of Berkeley may fit your needs as well.
Flippinjigs

Post by Flippinjigs »

Vehicle traffic really is really bad in the Bat Area. To keep you sanity you might want to look for living quarters as close as possible to your employer. Just my $0.02. Good Luck And welcome aboard.

Good Fishin
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

cull25 wrote:Not looking to move into the downtown area of San Fran but anywhere within say 30 mins.
There are not too many places, outside of SF, that you can comute to and from, with in 30 minutes. The Bay Bridge is 12 miles long, rarely average 10 mph during rush hours, and will spend at least 20 minutes at the Toll gate coming in and 20 minutes gettin on the free way after work. 101 from the south bay is a nightmare and to the North in Marin is prolly too rcih for a young 29 year old adult. Realisticly, yer gonna have ta broden the distance away from The City if'n ya don't wanna live there.

Ya are in fer a treat with the bass fisheries up here in the north! Just check out our Fishing reports pages, they are all listed there! Welcome and good luck!
drew

Post by drew »

I would pick a place that is relatively close to the Delta (priorities) and near a Bart station that is as close as possible to SF. NJ is like a mini-CA they might be the second most regulated state. I'm sure you will be used to the local NorCal politics. Below are my suggestions. Good luck.

Pleasant Hill
Walnut Crk
Lafayette
Orinda
Concord
Martinez

http://www.bart.gov/stations/index.aspx
Last edited by drew on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

The first question that needs to be asked is - do you have a car/ truck/ or boat? If so, I would avoid moving into the city. Most places in SF parking is not included in rent and you're looking at around $300 a month to park a car.

I do have some friends that have boats out here but they own homes and have garages.

As for traffic across the Bay Bridge, it's not THAT bad but it definitely helps to have a FastPass (electronic toll pass).

In the mornings it takes me about 1hr to get to the Delta. Berryessa is about 1.5hrs and Clear Lake is 2.5hrs. There's a bunch of other little reservoirs in between any of those destinations.

If you're looking for the late night social scene in SF I would look at Daly City or the Richmond district. Both are easy cab rides home at 3am when you can't tell up from down. Trips would cost you about $20-30 in a cab. Keep in mind that BART stops running at 1230am.

If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me. I live in downtown SF and I should be able to answer some of your questions about the nightlife and about getting out for fishing.

Cheers,

L
rich mendoza

Post by rich mendoza »

do your self a favor, quit your job and stay out of this p.o.s. state!
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

rich mendoza wrote:do your self a favor, quit your job and stay out of this p.o.s. state!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1
Kurt
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

rich mendoza wrote:do your self a favor, quit your job and stay out of this p.o.s. state!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking at 12 furlough days this year THANKS ARNOLD!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: And we spent how much $$$$$$$$$$$$to get Gray Davis out of office?????? MONEY WELL SPENT!!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!! Might even have to put the KittyCat up for sale just to make ends meet :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
Bill K

Re: you're right Bob...

Post by Bill K »

Topwater Terry wrote:this aint the political forum...
That is true Terry, but it is a fact, Those politicians are ruining the state, alongwith those with Mental health issues ( if you know what I mean) in S.F.
Now old Arnold and Brown was the judge to lift the ban on Prop 8, thought they took a oath to uphold and support the laws of the land, which the majority of the voters, voted in. ????
Bill K :lol: :roll:
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
Bassin

Post by Bassin »

If you like the BASS federation....you should also check out The CA Bass federation (TBF)....
Bryan Vogt..... Central Cal Bassin
cull25

Post by cull25 »

Thanks for all the help guys. I am coming out there blind and dont know a soul. I will actually be working from a home office and traveling all of Northern California in my sales position. So a morning rush hour commute is not really that big of a deal. I am just really looking forward to fishing out there.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

cull25 wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. I am coming out there blind and dont know a soul. I will actually be working from a home office and traveling all of Northern California in my sales position. So a morning rush hour commute is not really that big of a deal. I am just really looking forward to fishing out there.
Well we have a winter nutcase rally, where we freeze our balls off and go through the motions of fishin :lol: Thats a good start to meeting some guys, along with the many different bass clubs throughout NorCal....get settled a work, join a club and get to fishin.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Well if you are going to work from home a few days a week then I would say your best bet is getting a place near the Delta (East side of the Bay). I work in Sunnyvale and Live in Brentwood and the drive is a bitch but then I can be on the water in 20 minutes. I drive 62 miles from the front of my house to parking lot of work and it can take hour and 15 minutes to 3 hours on really bad days. The worst day to drive on is Friday everyone is trying to get out of the City and it adds to all of the Freeways (moving parking lots).

Two of the locations to live have not been mention and they have all of what you’re asking for and those are Livermore and Pleasanton. Fishing has been slow this year but living on the East side of the Bay you put yourself in the middle of some of the best fishing in the World. Others have already said the Cal Delta and Clear Lake but there are also the lakes in the Mother Load that are a short drive (hour to two hours).

One last thing – California is a great place to live and it does not get cold here (well except if you fish Shasta in January) but you will be paying to live here nothing is cheap and your taxes will be just as bad as in NJ, it might be even worst because you have a new governor in NJ that California sure could use. SF is its own State with their own laws.

You will need to upgrade your fishing tackle because our fish are big and pump iron! Start thinking of your personnel best of 10 lbs.
Taint

Post by Taint »

You should look at Richmond or east Oakland...really nice this time of year and low crime... :lol:
NObama
Susp3nc3

Post by Susp3nc3 »

Marin and take the ferry to work...best commute ever
My Fishing Blog:
http://www.Fraziers.com

Canyon Lake, CA Realtor
http://www.spencerfrazier.com
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

pacifica if you like the coast
San Mateo is nice 30min away ,redwood city is nice prob 45min away

These would be good choices stay on the west side of the bay.
San Mateo would be nice since then you can cross the bridge to escape the western bay to the east bay or valley.
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
rickd

Post by rickd »

I work is the City most of the week and moved from the east bay to the Peninsula, Burlingame. I'm home within 20 minutes every day.

Bridges suck! Plus it's $5.00 a day to drive over it. Live on the Peninsula, trust me.
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

+1 on Burlingame! I grew up there and it is now a mecca for restaurants/bars etc, is close to the city but just south of the fog belt.
Milbrae, San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, Redwood City can also be nice.
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

cull25 wrote:I will actually be working from a home office and traveling all of Northern California in my sales position.
So why do you want / need to be in the bay area then?
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

sent u a private message
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
ripb8ts

Post by ripb8ts »

Captain Morgan wrote:Walnut Creek. If you're working in downtown SF BART stops there, it has some pretty good bars (not to mention a very healthy cougar population), close to local lakes and the delta, and it's affordable and safe.
SOOOOOO TRUE!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JD