Forrest Wood Cup photos #2

Robert F

Forrest Wood Cup photos #2

Post by Robert F »

My buddy from home and new tenant for my Guntersville house, Kevin Hawk, shows off a magnum spot for the crowd. I practiced with Kevin and for four days he made me shake these things off. :evil: If he wins I am going to raise his rent.

Thanh Le of San Diego fishes primarily eastern waters now. He had an awesome tournament finishing 14th and bagging a check for 20 grand.

Tournament favorite and Lanier local Tom Mann Jr is brought to tears as he is eliminated by the powerhouse western Pros.
Word is he had a crew of people that would maintain "his" brushpiles on the lake. Things are a little different out here. These guys go so far as to rip trees off the bank and drag them to their target depth. They "seed" them with dog food to bring the bait fish and GPS mark the location. There are fights over who "owns" a particular brush pile in local tournaments. The lake is so full of brush you can probably hit a pile from any cast.

How does this guy do it?

Hank Parker jokes with Brent about his leap over the field. Brent texted Kevin during practice that he was sick of this place and was headed to the Detroit River early. Kevin wants him to keep his word. :lol:

Coooody Meeeeyer walks off stage with the National Guard leader bag. All three days of the tournament have been lead by a western Pro. One more group of pics to follow.............
mark poulson

Re: Forrest Wood Cup photos #2

Post by mark poulson »

Good stuff. Thanks.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
biteme

Post by biteme »

NICE! What camera and lens?
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

I have the Nikon D300s, a 10-24 zoom and a 70-300. Still figuring out the digital thing. I used to shoot professionally back in the film days. It burned me out on the art for many years after quitting. I am trying to get back in to it.
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

Robert F wrote:I have the Nikon D300s, a 10-24 zoom and a 70-300. Still figuring out the digital thing. I used to shoot professionally back in the film days. It burned me out on the art for many years after quitting. I am trying to get back in to it.
I can tell you're shooting ambient light and the digital noise isn't too bad. What ISO/aperture?

Past 400, my Canon30D requires noise reduction software.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

I was mostly shooting 3200 with the long lens and trying to drop it back as close to 400 with the short lens because it is all handheld. Shutter speeds were really slow at that.

Arena lighting is usually good. At least compared to most ambient situations. I have a lot of experience under those conditions with film so just went with it. There may be a lot of color correction in the lighting as it is set up for TV. Not sure.

As I said I do not have too much digital experience so the images are raw. I was surprised how closely balanced the photo with the Video screen above the audience came out. Heading out the door to hit up the weigh-in. Looking for a Hawk/ Meyer one-two.
KPalmer

Post by KPalmer »

Send pictures from the strip club tonight when you bitches are celebrating Kevin's win....I would prefer those photos'didn't have you or any other dudes in them...haha.
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

The D300 is superior at low noise with long shutter speeds and high ISOs we have 4 D300s, 2 D3s (one of which is mine) and 4 D800s in my office. I feel ya on being burnt out on photography. I used to go out and shoot because I felt like it ... I have not felt like it in a long time.
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Palmer, check your FB message. Got you some info on the "after" party. Tom, Good to hear I went the right way on the camera choice. I was not going to drop 7 grand on the D3 :lol: but I was concerned about the DX format. Almost got the D700 for the full frame. I decided the DX format would be beneficial for long shots relating to fishing and dropped the extra money in to the 10-24 to cover my wide shot addiction.

For others that want to dwell on the "negatives" of WB, this is a token BUMP TO THE TOP for the biggest story in California bass fishing. Show your love. :roll: The personal attack site doen't have these photos. Only WB.
ASD

Post by ASD »

TTT
:wink:
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

TomAtkeson wrote:The D300 is superior at low noise with long shutter speeds and high ISOs we have 4 D300s, 2 D3s (one of which is mine) and 4 D800s in my office. I feel ya on being burnt out on photography. I used to go out and shoot because I felt like it ... I have not felt like it in a long time.
Robert F wrote:Palmer, check your FB message. Got you some info on the "after" party. Tom, Good to hear I went the right way on the camera choice. I was not going to drop 7 grand on the D3 :lol: but I was concerned about the DX format. Almost got the D700 for the full frame. I decided the DX format would be beneficial for long shots relating to fishing and dropped the extra money in to the 10-24 to cover my wide shot addiction.

For others that want to dwell on the "negatives" of WB, this is a token BUMP TO THE TOP for the biggest story in California bass fishing. Show your love. :roll: The personal attack site doen't have these photos. Only WB.
What's with all the NOINK love? Isn't there any Canon love in the house? :lol: My next purchase will be a Canon 5D mk II as an upgrade to my 30D. Unless of course I hold off for the 3rd generation 5D....

Robert, you could have gone the FF route with the Canon system instead of shooting crop with the D300. But I'll hand it to NOINK, their low light capability is awesome. The Nikon systems are pretty amazing.

I personally went down the Canon path when I took on digital photography. Their Rebel SLR is a hit as an entry level camera.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Long Nguyen wrote:What's with all the NOINK love? Isn't there any Canon love in the house? :lol: My next purchase will be a Canon 5D mk II as an upgrade to my 30D. Unless of course I hold off for the 3rd generation 5D....
Thought seriously about going the Canon route. I still have a couple of buddies in the photo biz and they gave me the hard sell on the 5D. Problem is I shot Nikon for 15 years professionally and have been brainwashed...........plus they never let me down. My phobia of the DX format is gone after a little use of the 10-24 and I saved a ton of bucks buying a DX format camera. Still going to be a while for me to really get the hang of the differences in film versus digital and see what I compromised in going DX. I will say that Canon is a nice camera.