Slow down in the 5's guys!...

Chad L. Dwyer

Slow down in the 5's guys!...

Post by Chad L. Dwyer »

I recently bought a houseboat on Oroville and this past weekend, there must have been a tournament but I haven't checked. I watched a guy blow several hundred yards inside the 5 at Bidwell. When he finally slowed down, he was still far over the 5 MPH/ No Wake limit. Motor was trimmed up, bow high in the air and nothing but a big 'ol wake capped with white water following him.

I haven't come on here to "out" this person as I don't know for a fact that he and his partner were actually fishing the event (assuming there was one). I don't know his name, but I know the boat.

As a former tournament angler I know how much grief can be caused by such actions for all fishermen in general. I get to listen to all the other houseboat owners complain about everyone that goes too fast thru the 5's and frankly, I agree.

I think, generally, fishermen have a better and more respectful reputation than all the "newbie" boat owners that don't know what a 5 is in the first place. I'd simply like to see it stay that way and that is the reason for my post.

Please guys, slow down when you know you are supposed to...especially when there are tons of people watching you!
cleb19

Re: Slow down in the 5's guys!...

Post by cleb19 »

5 MPH and a NO wake zone is a completely different thing. I too own a houseboat inside of Bidwell Marina on Oroville, and am also a tournament fisherman, 5 mph on a GPS speedometer will put out a decent size wake. Motor trimmed all the way down or all the way up. I have seen guys push the envelope many times as well, pisses me off, no wake zone is about 3 MPH. Not trying to correct you, but ive been yelled at by many houseboat owners to slow down, I simply point at the BUOY that says 5 MPH, take a look next time nothing about NO WAKE, unless there new out there this year. Just my .02
Chad L. Dwyer

Post by Chad L. Dwyer »

I've fished competitively for 20 years and been on the water as far back as I can remember, I am well aware of the difference between a 5 and a no wake. I am also aware that getting off pad 6-8 rows of houseboats into the 5 is bologna.

For the record, this guy was pushing a friggin Tsunami... My intent is to limit the "bad talk" about bassfishermen, that's all.
cib11b

Post by cib11b »

House boaters hate when people go to fast and boat owners hate driving 6 hours to the boat ramp going so damn slow! I say move the house boats!
Ohh son!! That's a 4, 5 ,7 8, 12 punder son!!

2016 Ranger Z175 Lime Green Fusion!
Jim Moulton

Re: Slow down in the 5's guys!...*NM*

Post by Jim Moulton »

*NM*
Last edited by Jim Moulton on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.teamccmarine.com
C & C Marine
Modesto Ca
209-526-4120
Ranger Boats
Norv

Post by Norv »

I was told by a law enforcement officer that regardless of the 5 MPH limit if you have "white" water capping on your wake that you are going too fast.
K Luby

Post by K Luby »

It seems to me that it has nothing to do with any kind of sign posting. I have been bass fishing for 20 years, what I have learned is that on the water common sense has been lost. Jet skies going between my boat and the bank I'm fishing. People blowing into a no- wake zone. I also have a 29' Magic. We go to a cove with five other boats (small cove) and some a$$hole comes in to drive around us doing 30mph. When I'm fishing if there is another dude I have to pass on the way out I will idle past him or her. I don't need a sign to tell me to use my head.
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

K Luby wrote:It seems to me that it has nothing to do with any kind of sign posting. I have been bass fishing for 20 years, what I have learned is that on the water common sense has been lost. Jet skies going between my boat and the bank I'm fishing. People blowing into a no- wake zone. I also have a 29' Magic. We go to a cove with five other boats (small cove) and some a$$hole comes in to drive around us doing 30mph. When I'm fishing if there is another dude I have to pass on the way out I will idle past him or her. I don't need a sign to tell me to use my head.
+1... Well said
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

K Luby wrote:It seems to me that it has nothing to do with any kind of sign posting. I have been bass fishing for 20 years, what I have learned is that on the water common sense has been lost.
Ahhh nobody seems to watch there speed when in a car either (speed limits Posted) Yet everyone speeds. People cut in front of you to put on the breaks and turn. They try to be in front. Make turns where it's posted NOT too. People do all these things with kids in the car. They are only teaching the kids do get away with what you can when law is not around. Think about it.

So what the hell makes you think it will be any better on the water?
Your kidding right?
Get used to it. It will only get worse.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
K Luby

Post by K Luby »

I don't think I ever said it should be any better on the water. It just seems like people that have the money to buy a water craft would have some kind of common sense. I was pre fishing the open up at T-bar and a big name guy came out of the back on full pad not 20 feet from my boat and never even slowed down. There was no sign telling him that he is putting me in danger. "The mind is a terrible thing to waste".
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

K Luby wrote:It just seems like people that have the money to buy a water craft would have some kind of common sense.
Common sense isn't common anymore. :lol:
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
K Luby

Post by K Luby »

Well said !!!!!!!