Bass Boat Seat Belts

Mike Thomas

Re: Bass Boat Seat Belts

Post by Mike Thomas »

Personally, If I ever got in a boat wreck ( which I would prefer to avoid ) I would much rather get thrown out than go down with the ship
npangler

Post by npangler »

seatbelts, consider this sinerio, your boat filps over and you are knocked out.
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

Over the years as the passenger/observer on some big water, I would have loved to have a Velcro waist strap in any single console boat I ever rode in. I know a good butt-pounding is an occupational hazard, but I would be 6-3 today instead of 6-0 with that little addition. :wink:
Mike

Post by Mike »

In the case of a rollover they would not be good. But how many boats really go over?? Not many. In fact I have never heard of any. It is always hooking a corner or spearing a wave that throws the persons out of the boat. Almost always the boat stays upright. Therefore I would seriously thing about having a seat belt. Like Kramer said, maybe a 3" Velcro strap across your lap? I would rather Not get thrown out of my boat.
OG on WB since 1993
Team Pollard

Post by Team Pollard »

I agree with Mike, how many boats actually flip, none I heard of. But how many people get thrown out of the boat, alot. The accident last week on the Delta, maybe could of been a better scenerio with seat belts, or maybe Dobyns accident. Ask Dobyns what he thinks if his accident would possibly been a better out come if he had a seat belt, I for one would like them, especially as a passenger...Smoother ride, and I would feel safer...
Gone Fish'n Marine
Fish Hedz
Coldwell Banker
Nitro 901 CDX with Mercury 200 Verado
Mark Pollard
Lake

Post by Lake »

Back in the early 90's as a non boater. My boater flipped his skeeter and we were upside down still in the boat. Let me tell you first hand getting out from under an upside down boat is very, very difficult. We both made it out but barely. There is a ton of disorientation and obvious shock. I still have the images in my head of being underwater and trying to find a side to get out. Having to also release any kind of belt might not be possible. Not to mention if you had any head damage. You would be done. The lifevest actually made the situation worse as you couldn't swim under the railing to get out. If it were something on a boat, I would never wear it
WackySenko

Post by WackySenko »

In a car the seat belt is bolted to metal. What would the seat belts be bolted to in a bass boat? As the operator of the boat I do not get bounced around as much as my passenger. Even with the handle between the passenger's legs he still bounces some times. I think that retrofitting a bass boat with seat belts would give the passenger some better stability. I would worry about a false sense of security due to the seat belt not being mounted to metal. Instead of a 3" Velcro strap, how about a seat belt (single lap) with a quick disconnect similar to that in racing?
DG

Post by DG »

Danny
I would be very careful here. If the state hears of this I can see only approved devices allowed and with that only certain vendors allowed to be licensed to sell them. Also a new DFG approved stamp and license fee to mount the belt/s. An inspection (monthly)with $10 fee to insure you are equipped with the approved devices. You can see where I'm going with this. The "Governator" is licking his chops as I type!!!!!!

In all seriousness a better way (handles) should be looked at. The ones they have now are not very good in most boats. Maybe an ejection seat and chute would be better for some of the idiots I see going 60 at Clear Lake with 4 footers!
"And Jesus said unto them,come ye after me and I will make you become fishers of men"
<+}}}><
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Going with the fact that bass boats rarely ever flip over....I think an easy access seatbelt might be a good idea.

We hear way too many stories about boats "bow hooking", catching a wave wrong, going sideways etc, etc.. where the passengers get ejected and injured. But we rarely hear about bass boat "flip overs".

A seat belt might have prevented my injuries from one of these catastrophic accidents in '05 and spared me from all the surgeries I have endured over the last 3+ years. My shoulders and neck are still screwed up and I may never fully recover. My days of throwing giant jerkbaits are probably over. So, yeah!!! I think seatbelts should be studied as a possible new safety device for bass boats.

That's my $.02 worth.
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
CATCHEMCARO

Post by CATCHEMCARO »

I'm not sure about being seat belted in, but it would be great for us non-boats if some of those rockets had better Oh Sh%t handle. More often then not it's just a handle on the left side and I have to bend over to find the bottom of the seat rim with my right hand. It was real scary at first, but I got over it with time, a little. But as far as being totally seat belted in, I don't know.
Rich
WWW.SCBBBC.COM
http://catchemcarobaits.com/index.html
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

Seems to me belts could be designed to take into account a roll-over or under water situation and automatically disengage.

Kind of like the way the auto-inflate life vests work.
Kurt
offduty

Post by offduty »

StockOption wrote:Seems to me belts could be designed to take into account a roll-over or under water situation and automatically disengage.

Kind of like the way the auto-inflate life vests work.
+1

They could activate like an airbag does but with a timed delay to disengage say 5 to 7 seconds after impact.

Rich
lunkerdaddy

Post by lunkerdaddy »

One can make a case for having a seat belt, or not having a seat belt on our bass boats. It really depends on the type of accident that takes place as to weather or not the seat belt would help or hurt.

I have had a few experiences of being in race car accidents that have disorientated or completely knocked me out, and I’m still here today because of safety equipment that was developed because of accidents that took others lives.

I was still racing full time out here on the West Coast in the NASCAR tours when Dale Earnhardt was killed at Daytona, and from his accident there was an explosion of research that followed. Shortly after we had new seats that were more like sitting in a capsule, or a cocoon, we also had the new “HANSâ€
cib11b

Post by cib11b »

I know when I go fishin with my buddy in his Champion with the white caps all over and hes doing close to 70, the words "nothing rides like a champion" don't keep my *** from flying out! I wouldnt mind a seatbelt sometimes.

P.S. I would still have my father and grandfather if they had worn a simple seatbelt...
Ohh son!! That's a 4, 5 ,7 8, 12 punder son!!

2016 Ranger Z175 Lime Green Fusion!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I'm with Mike on this one. Most times boats don't flip. There have been some great ideas on this thread already. A seat belt would of saved me. Here is the problem, I probably wouldn't of had it on. Just being honest. Never had been close to an accident, and I wasn't wearing a PFD.

Today?? I would wear a seat belt and a PFD. I am a slow learner BUT I do learn :shock: Honestly, I hope others learned from my screw up and really believe I was EXTREMELY LUCKY that day.

We've had enough accidents the last few years, that have been publicized to know, they do happen and we need to wear a PFD at least. Seat belts, maybe with a modification or two could save lives.
bassaddicted

Post by bassaddicted »

What about a cylinder containing a ball bearing and filled with an oily substance that when upside down will slowly fall (1 ta 2 seconds) and make contact with a switch that will pop the belt off. (oily substance is to prevent ball bearing from free flowing so easy in big water).
gt1984

Post by gt1984 »

What about driving at appropriate speeds in rough water, taking wider angles on turns, and using some common sense. There are times when you can let it fly and still be safe. I have been a boater for along time in high powered bass boats. Have been a non boater previous to that. I have never been thrown and have never had an accident. I am grateful. Human error will always be a factor in some accidents, but common sense will avoid most. Some accidents can happen and its nobodys fault. Very few though. Know your machine, what it is capable of, and what you are capable of. Only one time have I been with an idiot boater in which we were running up a river arm at a lake in the spring. The water was high and heavy debris was floating and he was still trying to run 70 on 2 fters and I told him to slow it down. Common sense!!
BassFever7oh2

Post by BassFever7oh2 »

This is a topic that can go either way and it is hard to say what is the best.

I understand bass boats don't flip often. What if you were belted in and speared a wave and knocked yourself out. If you don't get ejected, the kill switch doesn't engage. Now you are past out in an out of controll boat.

I think the best way is to always wear your PFD and always get the kill switch strap attached. The most important thing is SLOW DOWN!

As for non-boaters, there should be some beefy handles. I know the new nitros have some nice handles between the seats.

Maybe some deeper seats and a good foot rest so you can hold yourself in.
Bsapp

Post by Bsapp »

I think the deep seats that sit you low help hold you in. The newer rangers you sit so high you feel like your gonna fly out. I agree a seat belt would probaly thrash you a lot more against the consoles and snap your head around.Kill switch lifevest. I've really been trying to Wear mine all the time. Allmost flipping my champion end over end a few years back after all my engine mounts broke coming back in big waves at clearlake really put things into perspective. You guys probaly saw some pics of that. Pretty scary.
b2customrods

Post by b2customrods »

As a licensed NHRA driver over the years there have been a ton of new safety devices added or changed. How long has it been since the consoles and seating on these boats have been changed? For the most part anyone over 6 feet tall may have issues sitting in the passenger seat.

What about the windscreen? I notice some are getting lower and lower.

These boats need to have deeper wider seats better leg and knee room for taller people and a better designed windscreen. The addition of good handholds for the passenger designed for one on each side of the seat that are thigh level would be a big plus in my book.

A passenger or driver need to be lower and more set into the seat offering better lateral support. I found the newer Triton seats fit me much better than any others I have been in and helped me from jumping around in rough water on like Clear Lake.

The windscreen needs to be made to provide good face protection to protect against water, debris, and bird strikes. With the speeds some of these boats are going could you imagine hitting a mud hen on the delta at 80mph! :shock:

As far as seat belts go. Im on the fence with this one. If the seating area was better designed I think there would not be need for them but I do feel that it would be a good idea to be an option when one purchases a new boat.
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

Kenny,
Excellent points and exactly what i was going to post.

Just retaining yourself to the boat in an accident is not suffice to ensure you are safe. a violent turn when a boat catches and edge can generate a lot of G's that can really injure you if you had just a lap belt on. it would bend you like GUMBY! T0-hat would be far worse than going out the boat and slowing your accelleration with a tumbling impact to the water.

That may sound worse to some, and it surely isnt going to be a pillow landing, but i promise you its still better than a sudden stop from a lap belt at 70MPH.

i personally dont think it makes sense. accidents happen, and they always will. no restraints are going to keep an unfortunate incident from happening.

BUT - if your driving so crazy all the time that its a constant concern and seatbelts seem like a great idea, then maybe you should re-consider how your driving.

Kopper
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
JRock

Post by JRock »

I believe if boats had seat belts operators would drive even crazier than they already do. :idea: :idea: :idea:
davet.

Post by davet. »

I think a helmet would get more use than a seat belt. Watch that video of the bass boat crash and you can see the guys head slam into the boat.
At least with a seat belt, the divers wouldn't have to search the whole lake for the body.
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I can't tell if seat belts would have mattered here. Whats your opinion? Accident is at about 1 min 30 secs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

Then in this one the boat did capsize, but not a bass boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQs9tloTzTM
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
rmbumpus

Post by rmbumpus »

My first bass boat was a 40 horse tracker. Honestly I think I caught more fish from it than I do out of my 225 horse Triton. The older I get the slower I drive. As a retired Deputy Sheriff I have been to a very large number of fatal accidents and I was the one who had to bag the bodies of the victims and notify next of kin. In almost all of the incidents I delt with excessive SPEED was the main fatal issue. Its the same on the water. This sport ain't worth getting killed over. Thus in my opionion more lives would be saved by driving slower than wearing a seat belt. However if I had belts on my boat there are times when I would wear it. It should be an over the shoulder type harness anchored to a detachable seat that would float you upright with your head out of the water when ejected. Also my buddy, lets call him "juan hung low" would wear it when the lake gets rough. He really makes some awful sounds when the boat is slapping the water. I know I need to slow down. Thanks for making safety an issue. Food for thought. [/url][/b]
offduty

Post by offduty »

As a firefighter I hear you loud and clear and agree 100%. Excessive speed is usually the real issue or just plain doing something stupid. I think most people know you can't fix stupid. So not much is gonna change. In the case of Mr Cornish's post both boat drivers were doing something stupid.
Rich
rmbumpus wrote:My first bass boat was a 40 horse tracker. Honestly I think I caught more fish from it than I do out of my 225 horse Triton. The older I get the slower I drive. As a retired Deputy Sheriff I have been to a very large number of fatal accidents and I was the one who had to bag the bodies of the victims and notify next of kin. In almost all of the incidents I delt with excessive SPEED was the main fatal issue. Its the same on the water. This sport ain't worth getting killed over. Thus in my opionion more lives would be saved by driving slower than wearing a seat belt. However if I had belts on my boat there are times when I would wear it. It should be an over the shoulder type harness anchored to a detachable seat that would float you upright with your head out of the water when ejected. Also my buddy, lets call him "juan hung low" would wear it when the lake gets rough. He really makes some awful sounds when the boat is slapping the water. I know I need to slow down. Thanks for making safety an issue. Food for thought. [/url][/b]
bassman619

Post by bassman619 »

[quote="GKramer"] I know a good butt-pounding is an occupational hazard, but I would be 6-3 today instead of 6-0 with that little addition. :wink:[/quote

Damn george :lol:
yeah thats right
bassman619

Post by bassman619 »

[quote="GKramer"] I know a good butt-pounding is an occupational hazard, but I would be 6-3 today instead of 6-0 with that little addition. :wink:[/quote

Damn george :lol:
yeah thats right
Flippinjigs

Post by Flippinjigs »

I would much rather have an ejection seat that you can pull a "D" ring and be tossed into the air clear of everthing! :lol:
If you do nothing expect nothing!
bass343

Post by bass343 »

It's for the same reasons they don't have seat belt's on motorcycles it's not practical and because it would cause more harm than good. That's my two cents.

Be safe out there and where your seat belts.
leachman90

Post by leachman90 »

Team Pollard wrote:I agree with Mike, how many boats actually flip, none I heard of. But how many people get thrown out of the boat, alot. The accident last week on the Delta, maybe could of been a better scenerio with seat belts, or maybe Dobyns accident. Ask Dobyns what he thinks if his accident would possibly been a better out come if he had a seat belt, I for one would like them, especially as a passenger...Smoother ride, and I would feel safer...

Now really, Do we really think there is a strong enough seatbelt made that would have kept Gary in that boat? I'm just sayin. :twisted:
But on the other hand I have been told that I am on the light side. So I can remember a couple times where a seatbelt would have been very nice. And I have put some pretty big smiles on some of my boaters faces as they look over at me and I am 3/4 out of the boat just barely hanging on for dear life. :oops:
www.insideline.net/index.php/forum
wg274

Post by wg274 »

Strapped in a seat belt doing 60-75 mph? I'd think just the force of the water would be enough to snap your neck. No thanks...
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

Don't know if it would be safer. Sometimes it would come in handy.

I would add that most grab handles are in lousy places.

Best grab handle ever was a loop type handle, for the passenger, just under the seat for the right hand. Never did stick the loop around my wrist, that way I could let go. It keeps the passenger low, and toward the center of the boat. Thing worked great. It wasn't a seatbelt, but it made for a more secure ride in rough water. A guy could kind of bicep curl, and hang on.

Those other handles, too high, out in front, or over on the side of the boat up high on a gunnel or near to it just sucked.

Dead pedals are neat too, great idea.

If you want to be safer just kick it down a notch and slow down. Steve Sapp used to drive his boat around real slow and still win the tournaments.

.02 A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I've posed this same question twice before and was thoughly beaten up about it. I have suffered numerous tail bone and lower back injuryes due to poor opperator control and have had some pretty scary rides from others. I've even suffered the surprise of an unlikly wave spike too during a trip or two on Clear Lake and the Delta. I feel much safer when I'm the driver, but even then you can't be ready for everythig that can happen in the blink of a eye. I AM for some "kind" of seat restraint that would keep the driver and passenger from bouncing and ejection, yet have an acceptable release in case of a roll over.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Team Fugowee

Post by Team Fugowee »

Seat belts. No thank you. I have a XB2003 Allison and a 19' Champion. I feel safer in the Allison because of sitting down in the boat and in a true bucket seat. Yesterday I hooked the Allison at about 85 to 90. Wakes and backing out of the throttle to quickly were the reason. I can tell when it's going around and just tighten up on the steering wheel and hope it doesn't roll. 90 to 20 in less then 200' total travel.
I've hooked this boat probably 5 or 6 times. The tight high sided bucket keeps me in place.
I don't know enough, to leave well enough alone.
NoCompetition

Post by NoCompetition »

Having been in Law Enforcement in Florida for 7 years (Harbor Patrol), I have seen my fair share of carnage. Almost all involved excesive speed, bad driver error, and alcohol. Since most bass fisherman are not out there drinking, we can almost eliminate that. But excessive speed and driver error, usally by a boater with nominal hours behind the wheel, probably contribute to more deaths and accicdents than anything else.

Seat belts obviously help in cars, but only to an extent, just look at all the air bags in cars today, and protective cages and crumple zones. I think better designed seating, better designed grab handles, always using a PFD and kill switch will in the end help more than seat belts. Slowing down, learning how to properly handle and drive a boat will also cut down on injuries and deaths.

Two years ago in the Stren Series at the Delta I was fishing with Rob Reil on the 2cnd day. We were hauling A## back to weigh in. That day was glassy and calm, we were WOT, not a wave or wake in sight in a very narrow canal. All the sudden we hit a 4-5 roller out of the blue, Rob thought it might have been a tidal shift wave. But wow if I were not holding on to those Ranger grab handle's I would have been ejected out of the boat and if Rob did not have that wheel tight in his hands and if it were not for his excellent boat handling ablilities we would have seriously been injured. We both tweaked our backs on that one, but thats all. Just goes to show you have to be always ready while driving a boat at high speeds. Be smart and prepared.

Rob Bogin
Rob Bogin