Fizzing bass info

bmshepherd

Fizzing bass info

Post by bmshepherd »

I think that most bass fisherman know little or nothing about fizzing bass. When fish are caught in deep water and brought up quick the swim bladder fills with air and the fish can not swim right side up.At my last tournament I realized how important it is to let the air out. Many fish were brought in that were in poor condition or dead. Its not that anyone purposely harmed the fish but I feel that anglers are not educated on how to fizz a bass correctly or are nervous about harming the fish further. I have watched several videos and read different articles on this but I will admit it is still intimidating to poke a hole in a fish. However, anyone who plans on bass fishing needs to know how to do it correctly and experienced anglers should take the time to teach as many others as they can. Even if it means gathering everyone before a tournament to give instructions. I would like to thank Jared Lintner for bringing needles for everyone and the Pacific Coast ABA tournament directors for handing them out and telling everyone that they would assist in fizzing the bass. It was disheartening to see that some anglers did not take advantage of this and I hope that everyone will try to spread the message of how crucial this is to preserving our sport. Some say that fizzing through the mouth is better but it seems like most think that through the side of the fish is best. From my reading I found that through the mouth can puncture the fishes stomach and that smallmouth and spotted bass have an artery near the area where the needle is inserted. I also read that that if a fish is bleeding you can poor a small amount of 7up or mountain dew on it to stop bleeding but I'm not certain if this is safe or even works at all. YouTube has some good videos to watch and there are many articles all over the internet so please take the time to learn and teach others......below are some good links to look at....if anyone has more info please let me know. Thanks, Brad Shepherd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2etof7_x8NE
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bass ... _procedure
http://www.bassintips.com/fizzingbass.html
dobynsrods.com
propointlures.com
bassaddicted

Re: Fizzing bass info

Post by bassaddicted »

If your worried about hurting the fish it's going to die if you don't fizz it. So try it its not really that hard through the side. The one I have has a diagram to show how to go through the side. So easy even a bass angler can do it.
fishing freak

Post by fishing freak »

Thanx for sharing the info its good for other anglers to understand how this effects the fish. This has happen to me an never new about fizzing.thanx now I know!
IF IT SWIMS, I'M FISHING FOR IT!
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

Thank you for this information.
I have to admit (hate to admit) that I am one of those aglers who does not know how. I have tried and will continue but thus far all I can accomplish is a fish with more holes than when i started.

Last Saturday we had our end of the year tournament on lake Berryessa, the draw had me fishing alone. As it happens I could not catch fish shallow (my preference) and had to fish a deep ledge to get bites, I got 4 total off that ledge.
My fish were sideways from the bladder issue and I was unsuccesful (again).

I decided to run around the lake asking other anglers for assistance, I found one team from the Contra Costa Bass Club who helped me out and all was well. A HUGE THANK YOU for taking time out of your day for the assist.
sky88s

Post by sky88s »

talk about fizzing...

man sundays fish at pine flat all came from around 60ft..LOL..them things were plumped..

easy as one 2 3..

one of them was so plumped that you could actually hear it pop..thought that was pretty funny..

but seriously this is a very important know how that everyone should know..
FLW College Series Record Holder (10.9 California Delta 05/30/2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSC7gpsIY0s
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Google; Doug Hannon video on fizzing bass.
The only reason to fizz a bass is to keep it in a livewell for tournaments.
You can use the torpedo weight method to immediately release bass;
Clip on a 8 to 12 oz torpedo weight onto another rod/reel, put the weight into the basses mouth, slightly down the throat. Lower the bass down to the depth it was hooked, lift the rod and the weight will come back up without the bass.
Tom
PS; a high % of fizzed bass will not survive when taken out of water deeper than 45'; post mortality rates are between 10 to 25% due to a combination of brain damage, bacteria and livewell stress.
bassaddicted

Post by bassaddicted »

fizzpic.jpg
fizzpic.jpg (21.64 KiB) Viewed 1058 times