Folsom Spots?

twister

Folsom Spots?

Post by twister »

Well its postspawn on Folsom and I can't seem to find the fish. I've tried the points and submerged trees with no success. The baits I used were Senkos, Spook, and 5" grubs. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm accustomed to the Delta not rocky lakes. :?:
Shadow

Re: Folsom Spots?

Post by Shadow »

well, i am new to this forum, and i fish off of the bank. but what you can try to do is throw a jig out there and work it along the bottom. works great. Good luck! :wink:
Dave A

Some thoughts

Post by Dave A »

My typical advice for Foslom would be to look for areas with chunk rock banks and a steep dropoffs to deeper water. There are a number of rockwalls in the south fork and a long rockwall up at Rattlesnake Bar in the North. These areas seem to consistently hold fish. Your bait selection sounds fine, perhaps try a dropshot or splitshot to at the least get a few bites and build confidence.

However, If the water is on the rise move back in the coves and fish the submerged brush. I have not been out to Folsom in a Month or so, not sure what the water level is like, I'm sure the lake is really high though. Just my thoughts, I'm sure others with more experience may have some better advice than I. Where is Kent Brown when you need him:) .
Hipster

Folsom and Spots!!!

Post by Hipster »

I used to Fish this lake two to three times a week but for some reason have got away from it this year. I was out at the lake today just watching and enjoying the mess at the launch ramp and walking around the marina looking for them large fish that live there. I will tell you this not all fish have spawned!!! I found many males on beds, lots of fingerlings swimming around nad cruising brutes as well.

If I was to fish Folsom right now I would go to the Pennisula and fish the deeper trees or the deep trees on the outside of the Rock garden and also go way up South past Jack's Shack and the old bridge where all the submerged trees are.

Bait choice would be a Senko, Dropshot or topwater.

Have fun!!
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
Charles

Post by Charles »

Fish the trees 10-20 feet. You wont get lots but you will get better quality.
Scott Shambre

Post spawn blues @ Folsom

Post by Scott Shambre »

Have been out a few times since the WON (5/21/05) and like the day of the tournament, lots of post spawn fish :P . The common thread for me has been locating rockpiles near submerged trees in about 15 to 20 ft. Dartheading and dropshotting have been the go to techniques using 4.5 " Robos in a wide array of colors. Was out Sunday AM and found a 11 or 12 lb. limit :D dartheading trees in and around the 5% area of Granite Bay. The lake is 3 feet from completely FULL and with nowhere else to go these fish will start to mill around and follow bait once again. Here today gone tomorrow will be the slogan until summer patterns hit full stride which will involve spooks all day and a darthead/dropshot bite on deep (20-25 ft.) rockpiles on the Penninsula. Hope this helps and good luck :D .

Scott Shambre
heetseeker

Post by heetseeker »

Had a great time with a white buzz bait in the a.m. near rattlesnake the other day. Nothing big, just lots of fish and a few missed strikes. Out fished a swim bait in a perch config 2:1. Must have been a reaction bite going on...
NaCl

It's spook time on Folsom.

Post by NaCl »

Try throwing a Super Spook now. Also, its a good time to cast a weightless worm into the pockets...position your boat outside some of the smaller coves in the north fork and cast a small weightless worm or 9-J Senko on very light line. If you can see the fish, then you're too close.

Good luck!

.....NaCl
dean

folsom

Post by dean »

I fish folsom almost exclusively and can tell you the spawn is far from over.A new wave of all species came up during the full moon and are spawning now.Last wend.thur.and friday I caught bed fish to four pounds all day long and seen a good half dozen bigs cruising the shallows.Keep looking shallow and go to the places that are the slowest to warm.Dike 8 and the south end of main body and many places on eastern bank.The warmer areas(ie those that have spawning fish first) is where you will find the post spawn fish.The western banks of main body and the western banks of north fork.Look for me out there and I'll show them to you.Red pro craft with a 175merc.I'm out there on wend.thurs. and friday as a general rule.See ya on the water.dean
dean
heetseeker

Post by heetseeker »

Dean,

Great info and i'll take you up on that if you don't mind sharing the info... I'm not as confident with plastics like I should be and want to increase my consistancy. I think the post spawn would be a great opportunity to get hooked on the techniques. Are you on VHF or cell?

Thanks,

steve.

209-607-2859
2000 nitro 882
twister

Post by twister »

Hey guys. All great advice. Thanks. :P
twister

Post by twister »

Kent Brown will be speaking at Fisherman's Warehouse in Rocklin. Not that I don't appreciate your guy's advice, Kent Brown is suppose to be the guru of Folsom.

June 10th: Bass Fishing Lakes with Kent Brown
June 17th: Shad Fishing with Alan
Triton Mike

Spots

Post by Triton Mike »

I don't know folsom but I do know Spots ;)~ If you want to find the most reliable place to find spots in post spawn look no further than bluff walls. They don't have to be super steep but the key is to work as much depth range as you can to find out where they are holing up. Typically there's a little bit of a lag time once the spawn is over before the good post spawn topwater bite gets going. Maybe a week at the most. But someone mentioned dropshot and that would be my choice for during that lag time period. Second would be the senko on light line like Dean mentioned but let it sink FOREVER! Once they recover from the spawn our Georgia spots go nuts over Sammy's and Sugoi Splash! Also the Mini Me Spinnerbaits and Flashminnow 95 MR's are great for the windy days.

T Mike
TheFLY

I'm Far From a Folsom Expert

Post by TheFLY »

But I have had some very good days there. It is the most hot and cold lake I fish. Seems like I can always find fish on the other clear canyon lakes ... but some days on Folsom will just FRUSTRATE!!!

All I can say is that 6 pound test green line is the largest I'll fish there. Turn off your boat and troll in quitely to the areas you want to fish. And the guy who said if you can see 'em ... you are too close was right on.

Steep walls are key. Wherever you see rocks touching water is good ... especially if there is wood nearby.

You should be fine with Senkos and Roboworms. I normally toss the little Senkos ... but know guys who do well with the bigger ones.

Lastly, I seem to get more bites on the shad colors there. In other lakes I try more colors ... seems like Folsom is silver, black, grey and white lake for you plastics.
dean

folsom

Post by dean »

sure heetseaker love to show you some spots out there now that the season is over for this year.Only got out one day this week caught a 4 10 on a rip and several others to 2.5 and caught a couple of three pound bed fish,largies,then finished with a few small mouths and spot bed fish all on main body.look for me out there next wend thur.or friday.dean
dean