Big Break owner files for bankruptcy

sTony

Post by sTony »

By Hannah Dreier
Contra Costa Times

OAKLEY -- After years of slow business, Big Break Marina owner Dave Biron has filed for bankruptcy.

Despite the filing, Biron said he has no plans to sell the marina but instead intends to expand the business. Biron did not give further details about the planned expansion.

"Like General Motors, we will be restructuring construction debt," he wrote in an e-mail.

Court records show that the David Biron Corp. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in Oakland on Dec. 22. The Contra Costa County clerk's office shows a lien against his property as of October.

A Discovery Bay developer, Biron purchased the 32-acre site in 2002 from DuPont, which operated the former manufacturing plant nearby. In an earlier interview, Biron said business has fallen 75 percent in the past five years.

"We used to do tournaments every weekend," he said. "We used to pack the place."

One of Oakley's few marinas, Big Break was once home to national tournaments such as the blockbuster bass contests Bassmaster and FLW. The Big Break waters along Oakley's Delta coastline are nationally known for black bass, as well as sturgeon and many other types of fish.

Some anglers requested a different tournament venue after Biron took over the marina, according to FLW coordinator Don Lee. In 2004, both bass fishing circuits began holding professional tournaments at Russo's in Bethel Island, with Oakley's sponsorship.

Biron blames former councilman Bruce Connelley for steering city money to Bethel Island and causing a drop-off in business at his marina. Connelley, who is suing Biron over a property dispute, denied this.

"I have never spoken to or encouraged a tournament to go to Bethel Island," he said.

In 2006, after more than a year of trying to convince Biron to deal with what it claimed were illegal and unsafe conditions on his property, the city ordered the removal of three buildings that it called a public nuisance. Biron ultimately remedied the problem and the buildings were not demolished, according to City Manager Bryan Montgomery.

East Bay Regional Parks had considered purchasing the marina when DuPont put it on the market in 2001 but is no longer interested in the property.

"It's an expensive proposition to keep a marina functioning and running," land acquisition manager Nancy Wenninger said.
massbaster

Re: Big Break owner files for bankruptcy

Post by massbaster »

This guy has nobody to blame but himself.
DL

Post by DL »

I wish I was wealthy enough to file for bankruptcy and expand my business at the same time :roll: Maybe I could restructure my boat loan, rent, and cc debt into a new condominium complex and shopping center...

Where is Matthew Lesko when you need him...?
"Feel the steel"
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

one word,,,,,,UNBELIEVABLE. NO one left. IMHO He chased em' away!
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
B. Worm

Post by B. Worm »

Not the least bit suprised. Dave has run that place into the dump. He has no clue what he is doing down there. Big Break is so run down and over grown its stupid.... I've been goin there for over 25 yrs. my old man use to live there back in the day, that place use to be great....use to be..... now its for the spiders and poachers that he does nothin about, he lets them launch right there and just watches them....But when I show up at 7.....8.....9......and have to lay on my horn for 20 min for someone to open the gate.... he just uses that place for his big ol' tug, must cost a fortune to store that thing.for get about it,When I fish that side its Lauritzen for me.
Tarpon120

Post by Tarpon120 »

I often fish those waters and have spent more time in BB than pretty much any other part of the delta. It kind of feels like my home base (the water that is, not the marina). I see alot of poacher types out there and share the same sick feeling about them as most of you do. I really wish they would be turned away, but don't know if that is even possible. I have often thought about starting a fund to split up between marina owners to compensate them for not allowing poachers to launch! They would probably just launch their crappy aluminum boat from shore somewhere anyway.

Just out of curiosity, why does the majority seem to have an issue with the marina staff? They have always been nice to me and never did me wrong. I must have missed some drama a while back or somthing. PM if you prefer, thanks.

By the way, it might seem like a pain in the @ss, but you could always call the phone number posted on the office door to get the gate opened for ya instead of laying on the horn!
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Tarpon - I gave up having to wait in line for him to open the gates to come get my launch fee. (witch he can do from his houseboat - and collect the launch fee's on our way out)

Plus I don't like my trailor dropping off the ramp on low tide. :evil:

I launch at Lauritzen's now and wish I would of ventured there many MANY years ago ! Weekday launch is $8 and they have a handicap and Sr. rate as well for even less when I get to fish with my pop's. Lauritzens has clean flushing toilets, EXCELENT STAFF ! Recorded CCTV of the parking lot and other area, Easy parking, Great ramps and alot more going for it ! I only wish they offered the Yearly launch pass like Russo's does.

I launch so much now out of Lauritzens or Holland that I only used my Russo's yearly launch pass mabey 10 times at the most this last year.

Best part about Lauritzens - Even though they have no dropbox (and I wish they did) ... Chris roll's on the "Honor System" - so if you launch at night one or more nights -- You simply "Honor" him and his staff by making due on the past launches the next time they are open. :D
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
dreyson

Post by dreyson »

The place really has gone to hell, His wise mouth kid is what turned me away, they should put some tools in that kids hands and put him to work
Cooch

It's really too bad.......

Post by Cooch »

it turned out this way. Big Break was an awesome facility that was supported by the bass fishing community for decades.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

yep, there's alot of good memories attached to the "break".....whether it's of JBug, the Viper madness, BASS, or just the many GIANTS caught there......it really is too bad!

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Hardshell

Re: It's really too bad.......

Post by Hardshell »

Lots of memories there! The one thing I don't miss is that run up the river on outgoing tide with the wind blowing in. To bad that dude let it go that way.

Hardshell
Cooch wrote:it turned out this way. Big Break was an awesome facility that was supported by the bass fishing community for decades.
ppickerell

Post by ppickerell »

Anyone know what he paid for that property? Seems like he ought to consider marking some of the barge remnants.

Captain Gugg
Us Coast Guard Big Break Marina, Oakley, Ca
San Francisco Region
1 Yerba Buena Island Boater Safety Hazard
San Francisco, Ca 94130-9309
SENT VIA TEL - FAX SERVICE
September 17th 2009 (415) - 399-3554

Dear Captain Gugg, pursuant to our conversation September 16th 2009 via telephone you stated
the Us Coast Guard can not mark the under water hazards due to the fact the hazards are not in
the federal water channel, however your office does provide search and rescue to that area..

According to the title company part of the area where the hazards are is owned by the east-bay
parks and recreation department and acquired them from Dupont Corporation . Also according
to public records the city of Oakley, and contra costa County own the other parts of the area in
question . Us Coast Guard has responded repeatedly to the big break marina to rescue boaters
that have hit these under water hazards . I feel your office also has a claim for time spent to

dispatch your officers in a area that has been a known identified problem from years and
nothing has been done to prevent injury and the loss of property your legal department
also needs to take action against the owners of this water way that continue to do nothing
about marking or removing the dangerous hazards in the big break marina area .

I will be further investigating for other owners and I will file a emergency order in the
contra costa county superior court here shortly after my attorney and my self get all the
information in order .

Thank you again for your time, and efforts to make the delta bay a safe place for all boaters .

Sincerely,
02 Champion 206 DC Elite
Bobber Lobber
dreyson

Post by dreyson »

I'm all for marking the wrecks, but would be very upset to see them removed these wrecks hold alot of fish that our youth have learned how to catch fish on.
XMAN

Post by XMAN »

Being that my fishing has tappered down the last couple of years, i sure hate to see THE BREAK go down like this..i have not lauched out of there for quite awhile and all us old hook-rats knew it was THE PLACE for premier cal fishing..IMO i think that after the D-B Corp bought it and would have let the prior experience run it, and with the city of Oakly's backing, this place could have been awesome...retired now, and gonna get back into it, i hope that all party's involved in this can rectify things...i think alot of rats miss the just hanging out and good times had by all..i sure miss it, plus i got all this time to do anything i want now..i'm done working at 57 and want to do what i did before.....just FISH.....XMAN
DDawg

The more things change

Post by DDawg »

The more they stay the same!

9 years since he bought the place. 8+ since he started running it into the ground, & he still refuses any personal responsibility for it!
I've been away from the scene since 04, & the argument sounds the same today as it did then.......... kinda like a soap opera, watch it one day & it's still the same story line as 8 years before!
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

Ahhhh "The Good 'Ol Days".. Big Break Marina and the old "Hook". I still remember the first day I walked into the baitshop and everybody just shut up and stared! HA! rough crowd for newbie but what a place. I miss those days.
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
Fly'in V

Re: Those were the day my Friends

Post by Fly'in V »

The Old Big Break, with Gene-O at the helm.

The first time I walked through the door it felt like I walked in the "Cheers" except they had fishing tackle!

If they didn't know your name they'd yell Howdey Partner!

you could shop for tackle and have a beer!

Yes, reminds me of that old song...

Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end....
PISCIS DIEM (Fish the Day)