Jigs that don't fall apart

jazzwannabe

Jigs that don't fall apart

Post by jazzwannabe »

I've been using some brands that have rubber or some other material for the collar, and sooner or later the skirts start sliding off or get all boogered up. Any recommendations? What about wire ties and silicon vs. rubber skirt material?
Golden Empire Bass Club
Jason C.

Re: Jigs that don't fall apart

Post by Jason C. »

If you like the brand you are currently buying, take some braid, nothing bigger than say 50lb test, and just wrap it around a couple times, pull it down tight and just tie a couple over hand knots. Finish off with a dab of super glue, and that skirt will never come off. Now if you are looking to switch companies of jigs, check out TNT Jigs, Bobby D's or any other hand tied jigs out there. Hand tied skirts wont slip off the hook. I hope this helps ya out!
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
smpboy

Post by smpboy »

same thing with spinner baits they get hot and melt and or get brittle over the years and break the braid is a good idea
ken L.

Post by ken L. »

You may also want to get some mini zip ties, I picked up a package at Knowles
and it is fast and easy. I got both black and white to match the skirt.
Mike

Post by Mike »

OG on WB since 1993
Eric Ocampo

Post by Eric Ocampo »

just tie your own... super easy. The quality of layering you can do with a hand tie will always be better then those silly rubberbands.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

For flipping and pitching jigs the TNT or Bobby D's with the hand tied skirts are the way to go. All of my jigs have hand tied skirts.
For Footballs I have somone pour them for me but off the shelf the BassPatrol will work in a pinch, they dont hand tie but they use a small wire that is wrapped in place. The rubber bands get old and brittle and need to eb replaced from time to time, for spinnerbaits I just replace the bands.
basslayer

Post by basslayer »

Johnny C's jigs are excellent quality and he's got great colors. i've never had any problems with them. He also takes custom orders, just give him a call and im sure he can make anything you want.
http://www.powellco.com
www.eyesurrendernow.com
Saulsbury's Earthmovers

Adam Ochoa
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

The rubber collars should last a few years, however will split if they are installed on a jig and get over heated. The rubber collars gives you the option to install and remove skirts with ease while on the water. This allows you to have plain jigs and a box of skirts to make up when needed.
Tied on skirts are permanent until you retie them. The down side is you must have individaul jigs the right weight, shape and colors before you are on the water. I fish with custom tied hair jigs and living rubber jigs that are hand tied and keep a good selection of silicone rubber skirts and plain painted jigs to make up as needed and rarely have any problems with collars splitting.
Tom
davet.

Post by davet. »

Monster Jigs are tied with coated wire. Will never rust or fall off. Top quality craftsmanship throughout.
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

Check out Ganns Performance Tackle's jig's. They are hand tied ( with thread ) Silicone skirts, Gamakatsu hooks on three different head designs in 26 different colors.
http://www.gannstackle.com/
GAnderson

Post by GAnderson »

+1 on Johnny Cs jigs if he doesnt already have your color he will definantly make what you want and these jigs are the most durable Ive ever thrown! :D
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

davet. wrote:Monster Jigs are tied with coated wire. Will never rust or fall off. Top quality craftsmanship throughout.
++ 1

and, they are a site sponsor.

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Takedown

Post by Takedown »

Outdoor Pro Shop;
Has some great replacement skirts that will last as long as the hand tied.
We make these with solid rubber core that is bonded to the silicone skirt.
These make the perfect mop skirts or trim to desired length.

http://www.outdoorproshop.com/D-M-Punch ... skirts.htm
bassmaster89

Post by bassmaster89 »

Johnny C at California Reservoir Lures makes awesome jigs! From deep rocky lakes to shallow slime covered weeds on the delta, Johnny has a jig for you. He makes a ton of awesome colors, and you can custom order any color you want!
aaronyun

Post by aaronyun »

Khanbaits have the best quality jigs in terms of skirt tying. Their jigs are hand tied one layer by layer which differs from any other jigs out there.
The rubber will flair evenly creating ball like shape when put in water.
Last edited by aaronyun on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offduty

Post by offduty »

aaronyun wrote:Khanbaits have the best quality jigs in term of skirt tying. Their jigs are hand tied one layer by layer which differs from any other jigs out there.
The rubber will flair evenly creating ball like shape when put in water.
I thought I would look for the Khanbaits and all the site links say the site will harm the computer.
Rich
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

I use upholstery thread. Works like a champ for me.
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
Eric Ocampo

Post by Eric Ocampo »

Same here. You can find it in a lot of colors to match as well.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

What happened to Puffball Jigs?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

If you catch fish, all skirts will eventually thin out. Fish clamping down on the skirts will tear off the rubber or silicone strands no matter what you tie them with. I have been making my own skirts for over twenty years and I use wire. I especially hate the rubberband collars because they break in the heat in my garage during the summer in La Quinta without ever catching fish. It doesn't really matter if you use thread or wire because they will both outlast the strands of rubber or silicone you use for skirt material. 26 guage silver craft wire comes in spools and it can be found at craft stores or Walmart. You simply wrap the wire around the jig and skirt material a couple of times and then twist the two ends around each other a couple of times and fold it down flush with the wraps. Use this wire on jigs that already have rubberband collars and you won't have to replace them when the collar breaks. When you unhook a fish, try not to wedge the jig against the fishes mouth because this pressure rips off a few strands each fish and you will have to replace your skirt much earlier. Most of my skirts will last at least 30 fish before they start getting too thin for my taste!
JohnnyG1

Post by JohnnyG1 »

Another vote for Johnny C's jigs he makes one hell of a jig any color you want he can do it. And I don't know what he does to make the paint from chipping but that stuff does not chip at all I have tried. Not to get off the subject check out his Toad Trasher they are good.
http://www.californiareservoirlures.com/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lumQuCuo ... r_embedded
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

Tie your own. Use a good base of upholstry thread and it will never slip.
LL
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

BOBBY D'S JIGS ARE GREAT!!! Hand Tied, arkie style head, awesome strong hook and with or without rattles........

Steven
snapitoff2002

Post by snapitoff2002 »

I have to tell you, that if you buy a Gann's product, it will be built to last. Nothing they make has a collar, or rubber band to hold a skirt in place. Instead, they use the highest quality thread, and I have some jigs that started out as 1/2 oz, but have polished so many rocks that they are probably 3/8 now. Still, the skirt is perfect, and they have probably caught 60-80 fish on each jig. Still sharp, and still in my box. On the other hand, I have some that had a rubber collar, and when I went to tie them on, the whole skirt was left in the box.. never used. I hate that!
Josh Palmer

"Champions keep playing till they get it right"