Bassmaster Classic...

Rod Wynn

Bassmaster Classic...

Post by Rod Wynn »

Wow!!
Who was that person who just got smoked in that "B-Roll" footage during the classic right now..!?
The Yamaha SHO just zoomed right by him!

PS..LOL @ Ike.. "Never discount the queer stuff!"
LMAO!!
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..
str8upirish

Re: Bassmaster Classic...

Post by str8upirish »

I heard Ike say that. You got to love him. lol
Old Trapper Beef Jerky Best In the West
http://www.oldtrapper.com/
Phenix Rods
http://www.phenixrods.com/
River 2 Sea
http://www.river2seausa.com/
California Reservoir Lures
http://www.californiareservoirlures.com/
BHQ
http://bassanglerhq.com/
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

That was Mike Ike passing up Tommy Biffle like he was still tied to the dock. (heck like he still had his trailer attached).

In other words that was a BassCat mopping up a Ranger, B.A.S.S. showed that about 4 times......
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

As a former Bass Cat owner and current Ranger owner I can tell you they are both great boats. The Ranger I have now is widely considered the "hot rod" of their line, a 250 powered Z520. Although my Ranger is not slow by any stretch, it can't compare to a Bass Cat with equal power. The Kittys are just that much faster, plain and simple.
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

And the Kitty riders are beat to ****.......... while us Ranger riders are feeling comfy and not needing Doan's at the end of the day..... Kitty rides suck and throw people. We saw it, saved um,

then I drove it back to the ramp!!!! nuff said!!
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
JJCJR

Post by JJCJR »

When I talked with Aaron this afternoon he was tweaking his Phoenix Boat.

He talked pretty highly of that boat when on the stage the last day of the Classic.

Hopefully we'll have some time to talk with him about boat performance.

Come on aboard and listen this evening
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

Haha I heard that and commented to a friend. Glad I wasn't the only one to hear that thanks Rod!
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
moorecat

Post by moorecat »

@Hipster, put a 20 foot Bass Cat and a 20 foot Ranger in 5 foot rollers then tell me which one you HONESTLY think handles the rough water better. I fish Toledo Bend alot, and you have no choice but run the boat lanes and 3 to 5 foot waves are really common there, so there is no way to get out of the rough water. And I have been in every major bass boat manufacturer except for Phenix, and I will say that in my HONEST opinion that a Bass Cat Cougar FTD is a better riding boat then a Ranger Z520.

At the BFL ALL American they supplied us with Z520's with SHO's and ETEC HO's, those boats were awesome fishing platforms but the ride quality left a lot to be desired.

Oh and one more thing look at the top cap of any Ranger that has been in rough water, STRESS CRACKS everywhere. A buddy of mine that fished the FLW Tour and is now Fishing the Elites had Tape and Wire holding his console together in a 6 month old Z520 until he could get it fixed. And yes most all boats do end up with stress cracks, just seems like Ranger gets them at an accelerated rate.
www.zipperwormcompany.com
coupon code Jmz saves 20% on orders
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I put a fair amount of hours on a Ranger and have for years. I have no stress cracks. You love your Basscat and that's great (basscat family is friends of mine and build a GREAT boat) but publically trashing Ranger is crazy. They are the number #1 bass boat for a reason. They build a great product and stand behind it.
moorecat

Post by moorecat »

@Gary , I was not trashing Ranger, just saying they have a stress cracking problem and responding to a post that Hipster made about the ride quality of a Cat.

Everyone always thinks that the boat they have is better then every other boat out there, but I am not saying my Cat is better then any other boat out there. I am just saying that in equal length boats that the Cat is a better ride in my honest opinion. Yes I have been in another brand boat in the 20 foot range that I do believe is the best rough water boat I have been in.

Ranger is an awesome boat and as I stated in my opinion they have left some things in ride quality to be desired. Everyones opinion is different and that is why when I was talking of ride quality I stated that it was my opinion. The stress crack issue is in no way my opinion, I have seen it first hand on every one of my buddies Ranger's, but yes Ranger will fix them (sometimes, they told one of my buddy to claim insurance on it, that warranty does not cover the cap, and I can have him verify that to anyone in doubt).
moorecat

Post by moorecat »

@Hipster, it is also not the ride of a boat that throws someone out, it is the driver
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

Chevy-Ford, Bub-Coors, Ranger-Skeeter (The two best boats made) etc.....who cares! If your happy with your boat that should be all that matters! I do love my Ranger!
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
Eric Ocampo

Post by Eric Ocampo »

What was with the cheezy intro? God that was annoying!
offduty

Post by offduty »

I am sure someone will disagree with me or get their feathers ruffled to some degree but to me it is simple and basic farmer physics. Flatter bottom boats do not handle rough water as well as boats with more vee built in to the hull. The flatter bottom hulls slap down harder and the ones with more vee have a more cushioned effect.

I have ridden in different boats and will not mention brand names but after having a boat with less vee I decided I would get one with more vee as I was tired of the slappin beat down. It seems to me the faster boats are also some of the better rough water riding boats as well since they have more vee. Just go on Bassboat central and compare top speeds between the different hulls with similar motors and props.

I feel that there are a lot of damn fine boats out there but just because most of the people on my block own a certain brand of car does not mean that is what I am going to buy. There are just a lot of options and ride and speed would be a top priority when considering a boat as most of them have pretty good storage and warranty.
Rich
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

I forgot about that Eric! That was annoying as all hell and it kept going and going and going. I'm sure someone can answer this.....Why did some boats have those huge "Lowrance" antennas on the back? I think just about every boat that ran down to Venice had one.
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Grape Ape wrote:I forgot about that Eric! That was annoying as all hell and it kept going and going and going. I'm sure someone can answer this.....Why did some boats have those huge "Lowrance" antennas on the back? I think just about every boat that ran down to Venice had one.
Those are radar units, seems the bass guys are finding out what the salt guys have been doing for years... Great eyes in the fog or at night!

I for one am glad to see them being used. I think you will be seeing alot of them in the future and I am sure they will be down sizing everthing to match the bass boats. Just add another 2 grand to the 50,000 plus price tag.
whazup

Post by whazup »

Eric Ocampo wrote:What was with the cheezy intro? God that was annoying!
That was the WORST intro to ANY program I have ever watched. I wanted to yell at the TV, "ENOUGH ALREADY!!!" I had taped it, so I finally hit fast forward just to get through it.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
FATGUY

Post by FATGUY »

DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HUB BUB IS ALL ABOUT.. IN ROUGH WATER MY CHAMPION OUT RIDES EITHER OF THOSE TWO ..
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Take it from a guy who sells them and can sell anything we want.... If you want the BEST roughwater ride get a Champion/Stratos 210 Elite. Followed closely by the Ranger Z521. The Z520 is faster than the 521 but if rough water is your norm get the Z521. And I have been in most if not all. And when it comes to customer service, the Flippin Team is awesome. They have always gone WAY above and beyong for our customers. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Bassin

Post by Bassin »

I agree...who the heck came up with that Day 2 Intro...ugh, annoying as heck, good thing for fast forword.

The Radar thing I too think you will see in the future after this perfect example.

Here is one I am just noticing as I sit here watching the recording, A while ago I watched a great show call "Schooled By Danny Brewer"..one thing I remember about it is how he explained landing fish and never pulling them up by hand on the line. I have watched numerous fish landings by these guys (the best in the business) and many were pullin line up with the hand just before lippin em....is it a good technique? or not?
Bryan Vogt..... Central Cal Bassin
smbass

Post by smbass »

Bring all the other brands of boats up here to the great lakes you will soon find out that Rangers are the ones that hold up day after day. The guys up here that fish our lakes the most run Ranger by a very, very ,wide margin. P.S. Cats drowned on the great lakes. :)
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Bassin wrote:II watched a great show call "Schooled By Danny Brewer"..one thing I remember about it is how he explained landing fish and never pulling them up by hand on the line. I have watched numerous fish landings by these guys (the best in the business) and many were pullin line up with the hand just before lippin em....is it a good technique? or not?
Might make a great new thread on this topic...

Did you see the young guy, Palaniuk land that big fish,... oh my.. got it in the boat good job there, but Oh My might as well jumped in and wrestled it, like Kent does..
CN

Post by CN »

Well I guess a faster boat does not mean your a better fisherman. Also Basscat's look like the boats we bought in the 80's.

I have a 2000 Ranger and I fish San Luis alot and it get's as rough as any body of water you would want to be on. Unlike some Lakes it's just a big deep round lake. Put it this way they have warning light's around the lake you have to keep your eye on that mean's get the hell off the lake now when they go on.

Well no stress crack's and it get's me back every time. A little wet but back in.
jwick22

Post by jwick22 »

I love my Z521! Been in some big ones on Mead and it did me well! Most important to me is safety and second would be how it fishes....#1

This is the next one I will be hitting you up on Rick G :D
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

Bassin wrote:Here is one I am just noticing as I sit here watching the recording, A while ago I watched a great show call "Schooled By Danny Brewer"..one thing I remember about it is how he explained landing fish and never pulling them up by hand on the line. I have watched numerous fish landings by these guys (the best in the business) and many were pullin line up with the hand just before lippin em....is it a good technique? or not?

I mentioned this last year when Byron Velvick won the Clear Lake derby and everyone said I was "wrong" for questioning someone who "does it for a living"
I still stand by my point and think it is DUMB to grab the line and bring the fish in..
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Rod Wynn wrote:
Bassin wrote:Here is one I am just noticing as I sit here watching the recording, A while ago I watched a great show call "Schooled By Danny Brewer"..one thing I remember about it is how he explained landing fish and never pulling them up by hand on the line. I have watched numerous fish landings by these guys (the best in the business) and many were pullin line up with the hand just before lippin em....is it a good technique? or not?

I mentioned this last year when Byron Velvick won the Clear Lake derby and everyone said I was "wrong" for questioning someone who "does it for a living"
I still stand by my point and think it is DUMB to grab the line and bring the fish in..
The best in the biz, KVD; doesn't pull on the line but "cups" it around his hand to guide the fish to his hand all while the other hand is on the rod pulling the fish up with a bent rod to keep the pressure on the hooks. Then if the fish wants to go, it goes. Little things win tournaments in the long run!!!!
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
crazychuy

Post by crazychuy »

I have to give props to G-Man to doing the ride along for the Cancer survivor. Talk about a memory that he will remember for the rest of his life. I always respected that guy since meeting him at Rick's Bass-A-Thon but now even more.

Like I said, nothing but respect to that gentleman for stepping it up and doing good. Now that's what I call an Ambassadeur to the sport.

Thanks,
Tony
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I have enjoyed the positive comments about the Z521 as that will be my new guide boat in a month or so. Thot I was going to get my 3rd 520 (a Z520) but was talked into a Z521. A little slower I hear but very good in rough water. Scared clients are not good for business!!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Guy Williams wrote:[The best in the biz, KVD; doesn't pull on the line but "cups" it around his hand to guide the fish to his hand all while the other hand is on the rod pulling the fish up with a bent rod to keep the pressure on the hooks. Then if the fish wants to go, it goes. Little things win tournaments in the long run!!!!
Guy Williams
Guy,
What kind of boat does KVD drive?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="Larry Hemphill"]I have enjoyed the positive comments about the Z521 as that will be my new guide boat in a month or so. Thot I was going to get my 3rd 520 (a Z520) but was talked into a Z521. A little slower I hear but very good in rough water. Scared clients are not good for business!![/quote]

Z521 is the best rough water boat Ranger has ever built. Flat out AWESOME!!
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

ridden in the Z521 with a 250xs on the back and it flat gets going! Water got a bit rougher in the day and it rode as smoothe as anything I've been in.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Team Pollard

Post by Team Pollard »

KVD is in a Nitro Z9
Gone Fish'n Marine
Fish Hedz
Coldwell Banker
Nitro 901 CDX with Mercury 200 Verado
Mark Pollard