6" Hudd help..

Max Rabbit

6" Hudd help..

Post by Max Rabbit »

Hey guys can you help a guy get his Hudd to swim straight? I have been fishing the 6" ROF5 and recently purchased a new one. Unfortunately if i speed this bait up to any speed other than a virtual stand still it rolls to its left and will not swim straight. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Mattlures

Re: 6" Hudd help..

Post by Mattlures »

If its a weedless, I believe you can bend the internal harness to offset the lean. If its standard one you will probably need to cantact Huddleston.
premium swimbaits for trophy bass
www.mattlures.com
G-unit

Post by G-unit »

Make sure the hook and the eye are in line as well. Sometimes if you are using heavy line and tying a larger know, like a clinch knot, it will not swim straight. Def get a hold of huddleston before you do anything too drastic.
The Hard Deck for this Hop is 10 pounds
Max Rabbit

Post by Max Rabbit »

Thanks guys, I will check the hook/eye alignment. its not a weedless, its a top hook. I will also try a couple other knots. Ill let you know what i find.
Fish-styk

Post by Fish-styk »

I would mess with the internal harness as mentioned, may just need some straightening. Perhaps boiling the back half of the bait to straighten the tail itself out might help too.
godzilla

Post by godzilla »

i have the 6" hudd weedless and mines dont swim straight also...i've heard alot of othes swim the same way...might have to try boiling it to see if it helps...
***GODZILLA AFTER MILFS!!...(MOMMAS I LIKE TO FISH)....***
hmongfisherman

Post by hmongfisherman »

the thing with huddleston swimbaits are that they're designed for slowly crawling along on the bottom. Usually when you reel them fast they do tend to go on their side. I would suggest that you contact Huddleston and see what they can do for you, or invest in a Decoy Hydra 5" swimbait, which can be reeled as fast or as slow as you want and it will always swim straight. Hope this helps.
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I have never had any problems with the 8 inch Huds, but I've had problems with the six inch versions ( top hook, weedless and/or 68's) to the point I will no longer buy them. It isn't hard to find posts like this on virtually any fishing site I frequent. All of the suggestions might fix the problem with your bait, but are we really supposed to have to do those things to get a bait to perform right out of the package?
I haven't fished the Decoy Hydras but I have heard good things about them. BaitSmith used to make an excellent six bait soft bait, but they have restructured and aren't yet available. The 6 inch Mattlure Tournament Series softbaits are a definite consideration if you are looking for a similar style bait with much better quality.
Tree
Rbass519

Post by Rbass519 »

I gave up on 6" Hudds too. The Skt swimmer from Rago won't give you any trouble and you will catch fish on them. They fish great at any speed.
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I also like the 6 inch Rago SKT Skimmer...great bait...but I didn't consider it a bottom-bouncing bait like the other baits mentioned.
finfever

Post by finfever »

I had the same problem with my 6" hudds so i contacted hudd directly. I got Ken Huddleston on the phone and this is what he explained to me...
Top hook..
Hold the bait firmly with the belly in the palm of your hand tail facing down/towards to you. Push the hook (where the bend starts) to the side the bait rolls to, if it rolls to the right push the hook to the right, this will shift the weight and allow your bait to swim correctly. May need to do this more then 1 time.

Weedless..
Look under hook point/barb to see if the bladder is ripped, if so put some glue on it and try it out

If that dont work call Hudd and talk to Ken, i'm sure he will make this right, he did for me..Hope this helps.