Casting Reel Retrieve

Ericpadilla1374

Casting Reel Retrieve

Post by Ericpadilla1374 »

My parnter and I got into a debate. He is saying I retrieve "wrong handed" because my casting reel handle is set up on the right side, and I'm right handed. I learned to throw this casting reel this way from day 1, watch flw/bassmasters pros who have right side retrieve, and i have talked to alot of people who also throw a casting reel w/right side retrieve. I know I'm doing it the right way, but does anyone have any insight why most casting reels come standard with a right side retrieve and you have to look extra hard for those left handed retrieves ?
Oldschool

Re: Casting Reel Retrieve

Post by Oldschool »

If you are right handed with a right handed casting reel (handle on the right side) you must hold the rod with your left hand to retrieve. Is this right or wrong? only you can decide which is the best for you.
I tried to learn casting right handed with a left hand reel (handle on the left side facing down) and didn't like the balance for bait casting reels, it's standard for spinning reels.
The reason;I cast using my right arm, switch hands holding the rod usually in front of the bait casting reel, when retrieving most lures and just didn't have the right feel.
Tom
godzilla

Post by godzilla »

im right handed and i use left handed reels because i feel more comfortable this way and i dont have to switch hand everytime after a cast... my right hand palms the reel and rod this way i can have a better hook set and casting..i believe RH people usually use RH reel and lefty to LH reel! i think that theres less LH reels is because majority of peeps are RH..correct me if im wrong! but it doesnt matter which side reel u use as long as it feels best for you..
***GODZILLA AFTER MILFS!!...(MOMMAS I LIKE TO FISH)....***
Max Rabbit

Post by Max Rabbit »

Certain things are better for me to use a left handle reel. Flipping for one as I do not want to be switching hands when i get a hit. i would rather maintain 100% contact with my bait and left hand reels allow for this. Further more I grew up on spinning reels and fly fishing both which standardize on left handle reels. I have a mix but I only use my right handle reels for cranking.
thukidad

Post by thukidad »

I believe most right handed anglers use right hand reels is because they were more readily available to angler as to left hand reels. The majority of who purchase reels are older (25+) back when left hand reel wasn't around like they are today, so most angler who wanted to use a baitcaster ended up buying right hand reels and became use to them. Give them a left hand reel and it will feel awkward because they're already trained to use the right hand to retrieve. Even today its still hard to find left hand reel as many angler are still use to right hand reel.

i changed to left hand reel because i wanted to handle my rod 100% of the time instead of switching. It took some getting use to, but i'm glad i did. Especially on those instant bite.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

the one thing that makes me laugh, and my buddy and I joked about this is, when you are right handed and use a right hand retrieve on casting reels but it you put a spinning reel in that same right hand retrieve you feel very very clutsy and retarded...

I grew up with the right hand retrieve and still use it. For me...its been easier learning to pitch and flip with my left hand than switch reeling hands.

This is just me...but I am getting the standard casting and all down very well with my left hand.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

I'm left handed and cast left handed. Back in the Garcia Ambssadeur days I used to like to cradle the reel on the retreive. Well, to do this it was cast left, move reel to right, then back to left to cradle the reel. If you're righty and used the right hand reel only one transfer was necessary. It's a moot point anyway because the brain reacts well to these things. I remember one time Jimmy Houston couldn't explain how he did it, as it was sub conscious, and the reel was always in the other hand when he began his retreive.
Now, with the low profile reels, I can cradle the reel and cast at the same time, which is great.
There She Is!!!
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

elfish16 wrote:the one thing that makes me laugh, and my buddy and I joked about this is, when you are right handed and use a right hand retrieve on casting reels but it you put a spinning reel in that same right hand retrieve you feel very very clutsy and retarded...
Not me. Spinning and casting doesn't matter, it's all right hand retrieve for me. I'm a hand switcher. As strange as it sounds, I like setting the hook with my left hand, even though I am right handed. It feels retarded to me to reel with my left hand.

Everyone is different, I just do what feels better to me.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

yep, it's how one learned. Lefties were not readily availabe until the early to the mid 90's, depending on model and mfg. My service stats show about a 60% righty and 40% lefty rate this past year so lefty use is up more than before at least in this area. Nationwide stats show about 4% lefty to 96% righty. Demographicly the left coast is more lefty oriented. Go figure?

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Ericpadilla1374

Post by Ericpadilla1374 »

Well thanks for the input, I will just tell him the 4% and 96% line and say I'm with the majority of people. He is the one who is fishing Wrong Handed. Thanks guys, tight lines
luvmystratos

Post by luvmystratos »

I use both Right Handed Retrieve and Left Handed Retrieve. It all depends on the application that I want to use. At times I like using the Rt. Handed Ret. strickly for Cranking and Spinning long Casts in clear water lakes, I throw the Lure with my Left hand and start Cranking with my Right Hand. I like the Lt. Handed Ret. for Worming, Jigging, and some Spinnerbaits, I throw, Pitch, or Flip with my Right Hand, . Practice, Practice, Practice, it pays off.
Life is short enjoy each and everyday!