Everyone, Best onboard charger for Optimas?

nipples

Everyone, Best onboard charger for Optimas?

Post by nipples »

Jareds post about optimas got me thingking about getting a new onboard charger or changing my setup entirely...

So I am looking for multiple opinions about what the best onboard charger is for Optima 31s

36v for the TM, 12v for the cranking. But I'm sure some guys would appreciate any info on 24v and 12v only systems.

Also, are any of you running stealth type chargers?

Anyone running Stay'N Charge systems that charge as you tow?

Good stories, bad stories, mediocre stories...

I'm not so concerned about speed of charging,I am more concerned with quality and one that will take care of the batteries...

Thanks,

-Nips-
Do it like no one is watching...
Randy Walker

Re: Everyone, Best onboard charger for Optimas?

Post by Randy Walker »

What's up Nips...
I I have only used Minnkota chargers because that's what had come in all of my boats, so I can't speak about other brands at all, but I have never had a problem with my on-board chargers in the past... (keeping fingers crossed)...

Now, since your talking about Optima batteries... Optima suggests that 10 amp chargers are used (can be found on web site or in one of the links that I posted in Jareds post). Mike Phua had posted on here a while back about charging Optimas and there was much discussion on the amps that should be used.. not so much about the brand of charger from what I recall. If you can find the post, you can see more...not sure if that will help or not...

Take it easy ~
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
kb

Post by kb »

I run the dual pro charger they put in the Triton and I upgrade to the 4x15 model. This is a four bank charger 3 for the trolling motor 36V system and one stays on the crank battery. Every time you charge the crank battery gets charged as well. The alternator will not keep them up the way they need to be and with all the additional equipment we are running these days like multiple livewell/recirc/pumpout, Structure Scan etc there is more power being used from the crank battery.

This charger is 4 15 amp banks built in.

Hope this helps

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Nips,

I have been running the Stealth Charger for 5 years now in my boat. It is awesome and works! The Stay N' Charge is a switcher between the batteries, not a real charger.

The Stealth Charger charges all the trolling motor batteries at the same time when the big motor is running.

If you have any questions, drop me a line.

Scott
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

Personally I would go with the stealth, A 15 or 20 amp per bank automatic charger will not harm a Optima battery in any way, IF they do reach their maximum charge rate they will not continue at that rate long enough to harm any battery. As the battery recovers the charge rate goes down. Totally a different story with Manuel chargers.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
nipples

Post by nipples »

scottsweet wrote:Nips,

I have been running the Stealth Charger for 5 years now in my boat. It is awesome and works! The Stay N' Charge is a switcher between the batteries, not a real charger.

The Stealth Charger charges all the trolling motor batteries at the same time when the big motor is running.

Scott

Thanks for the reply Scott.... Correct me if I am wrong here...

I thought a Stealth would charge the cranking first and then deliver anything extra to the trolling batteries.

(I do appreciate the testimonial BTW, exactly what I am looking for).

From what I read on the Stay N' Charge systems (they have the Stay N' Charge and the Tow N' Charge).

The Stay N' Charge will charge the cranking first and provided it is full, it will send the rest to the trolling batts, but cycle it in stages across the bank.

And the Tow N' Charge will send any extra juice from your trucks alternator back to the boat batteries and change them as you Tow.

Thanks,

-Nips-
Do it like no one is watching...
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

nipples wrote:
scottsweet wrote:Nips,

Scott

Thanks for the reply Scott.... Correct me if I am wrong here...

I thought a Stealth would charge the cranking first and then deliver anything extra to the trolling batteries.

(I do appreciate the testimonial BTW, exactly what I am looking for).

From what I read on the Stay N' Charge systems (they have the Stay N' Charge and the Tow N' Charge).

The Stay N' Charge will charge the cranking first and provided it is full, it will send the rest to the trolling batts, but cycle it in stages across the bank.

And the Tow N' Charge will send any extra juice from your trucks alternator back to the boat batteries and change them as you Tow.

Thanks,

-Nips-
Hi Nips,

There is a fundamental difference between the Stealth and the Stay N Charge. The Stealth is an actual charger. It detects the state of charge to the cranking battery to determine how much amperage it should redirect to the trolling motor batteries. The Stealth steps up the voltage to the total voltage required (24V or 36V) and applies that voltage, and the available amperage, to the trolling motor batteries while you are running. This principle is applied whether you are using a AC charger, running the big motor, using the Tow Package or even a solar panel. As mentioned, Stealth Charging makes a tow package too.

Further, the Stealth has a microprocessor in it to determine when and if it should stay only on the cranking battery or redirect some or all the available amperage to the trolling motor batteries. In other words, it is not all or nothing. I am not sure on what percent charge on the cranking battery it will start the redirect, but it is about 60% or so. As the cranking battery comes up, it will redirect more amperage to the trolling motor batteries. Likewise, when the cranking battery and/or the trolling motor batteries reach near capacity, it will drop the amperage to maximize the charge and reduce the heat on the batteries. This "intelligence" is why batteries get the best charge, don't gas, and allow your batteries to last such a long time.

The Stealth is very small and generates virtually no heat and can be used with any existing AC charger. If you install it with an existing AC charger, you will need to change the wiring of the existing AC charger a bit. When using the Stealth, the only real connections for the AC charger are between the AC charger and the cranking battery. You never connect the AC charger to the trolling motor batteries. If you are looking for an AC charger, Stealth sells them too. The AC and DC charger, combined, weighs about 5 lbs :).

The digital gauge that is available is probably the best key to the charger. For about $100, you can simply look at the gauge and know the charge state of your trolling motor batteries. You can also see that it is charging, or not, based on the resting voltage before you run and then while you run. Basically, you ALWAYS know the condition of your trolling motor batteries,

The Stay N Charge is a switcher, not a charger, as you alluded to in your post. It provides 12V to one of the batteries and switches the amperage from battery to battery. I don't know if it has the ability to reduce the amperage as the batteries reach capacity. Keep in mind, the voltage is always 12V.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
allmovin

Post by allmovin »

I have read that the optimal amp range for charging gel cell batteries is 10-12. Like KB I have a 4 bank Pro Charger and it seems to work OK for my gell cell batteries, but it is 15 amp per bank. I also had 1 bank go out and it took 2 weeks to get the charger back, so probably not my first choice