Special Kids Project, CALBASS & Cooch wanna thank.....

Cooch

Special Kids Project, CALBASS & Cooch wanna thank.....

Post by Cooch »

Event Details at: http://www.calbass.org/index.php/events-2011.html
On Saturday, May 21st, I am assisting a group called the California Bass Anglers of the Silent Society(CalBASS). We are coordinating their Saturday fishing experience for these deaf kids out at the Brannon Island KOA camp grounds. To our surprise, the response in attendies is going to be greater than expected and I am in need of additional boaters to assist. Due to unforseen events, I have not only lost my boat for the weekend, but one of my others and need to put together a larger team to assist with this event. I can also use a few land volunteers too. This event has been held in previous years up at ClearLake with the assistance of Ross England for their fishing day, Ross recommended me to assist them with this year's event here on the Delta.

The event is being held out of the 7-Mile area at the KOA/Spindrift Marina area. My intentions is to have all the boaters meet at Russo's marina that morning, then as a group ride over to the Marina. I will cover the Russo's launch fee and $40 for gas. CalBass will provide us with a morning breakfast and our lunch as well. We will take out the kids, along with a deaf interpreter, for a little bit of Delta fishing right there in 7-Mile Slough. There will be two fishing periods of 2 hours each, from 10:00a-11:45 and then 1:00p-2:45p. On the link above is the full schedule of the day's events.

If you are available and can help me out with this event next Saturday, please post under this thread, send me a PM or call me at 925-684-9775 and I can discuss further the details of the day.
Scott Robertson

Re: Special Kids Project, I need 10 boaters....

Post by Scott Robertson »

cooch, what a great org wish I was closer I would be all over that. Good luck. Scott
bent rods to all good luck.
2005 angler of the year ABA High desert region.
2018 2nd place AAA us open
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I no longer can take people out( bad knees ,back) would not want them to have to rescue me. But you said you lost your boat for some reason.
I have a boat, if you or someone you know just needs a boat to go in. I can bring one over for the day (2008 ranger tr177,has ins. and is ready to go.)
rodmartin@aol.com
1-209-610-4064
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Alright, this is a very worthwhile cause so count me in, presuming I can get the Ranger started!

I think Hubspinner has changed his itinerary for this week, so he may be good to go also... I should be seeing him in the next hour or so and I'll hit him up.

C'mon guys - anyone else who can help out here??? This is going to be a very rewarding experience! Don't leave one of these kids at the dock, PLEASE!

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
medfish

Post by medfish »

cooch sent you PM should be able to make it call me if you still need a boat and a land helper... 530-570-1070
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Awesome guys, Thank you so much! I am still looking for 3-4 more boaters and any of ya that might wanna come participate who don't own a boat, with some onland and pontoon boat support.
Cooch

Re: Special Kids Project, CALBASS & Cooch wanna thank.....

Post by Cooch »

All of the following volunterers who ventured out to 7-mile Slough and the KOA Campgrounds to help out with today's special event! Guys, we made a huge impact on a lot of folks, thank you ALL so much, you rocked today!

Boaters
James Lew
Scott Pavio
John & Clora Castro
Roger Nelson
Gary Collins
Steve Meduno
Reinhard Rauser
Jim Boike
Ron Cormier
Mike Meyers
Ronnie VanAirsedale

Pontoon crew
Boat #1 Captain Tony Stoltz
Boat #1 Deck Hand

Boat #2 Captain Pete Belicci
Boat #2 Deck hands Paul & Chris Fenk

This was just an amazing day! Fishing, has it's own universal language, there are no barriers. This group of fishermen bonded with this deaf group so perfectly, nothing was seen all day, but smiles, excite, entusiasm and high fives! My gramps always tld me fishing should be fun, I know this was one of them kinda days he wanted me to always treasure, rest assured,I will! Thanks Team!!!!!!!!!!
Look for Roger to post a few pics of the day, he had the camera fire'n away the whole time he was there, fishing with kids and at the docks!
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

WOW, once again I was privileged to participate in an extremely rewarding charity event, benefiting so many deserving and special people. It was an honor to be able to attend.

Kudos once again to Cooch for becoming involved with this event, and there was (as usual) a whole lot of hard work behind the scenes to make it a successful and enjoyable experience for all who attended, whether as a child angler, a proud parent, or one of the many voluteers. Great job partner - thanks for asking me to join in!

It was obvious from the start that this was a unique experience for those of us not affiliated or familiar with the organizations which were putting the event on. When we were gathered at Russo's awaiting the early morning run over to Brannan Island KOA to meet up with all the participants and get the party started, Leroy Boren (President of CalBASS) had some 'words' for the volunteers - he is deaf, and speaks via sign language. With the help of an interpreter, the message was conveyed and we were off.

Once over to the facility, we docked and walked up to the clubhouse to meet with everyone and get some early morning sustenance by way of doughnuts, orange juice and coffee compliments of the event organizers. As we walked into the clubhouse, it appeared to be nearly vacant as there was no audible indication that anyone was inside. As we rounded the corner into the main clubhouse, we were amazed to see a very large group of kids and adults assembled! Most were busily and excitedly communicating largely via sign language - it was quite a sight to behold!!! That was the very first tug at the heartstrings, but certainly not the last by a long shot.

As the guys rounded up the two pontoon boats that the organizations were renting from Sugar Barge for the day, we were able to prepare ourselves for the day's activities. They assembled the kids into the front room for a unique seminar experience hosted by Andy, again with full interpretation for those who were hearing-challenged, and it was very funny to watch the interpreter try to mimic and convey Cooch's message in the spirit it was intended! Judging from the faces, I believe he nailed it dead on!

Once the seminar was complete, the boaters adjourned to the docks to await their angler assignments. They paired two to three anglers per boat, and ensured that an interpreter was aboard for those taking out deaf anglers. Many of the anglers were hearing-challenged, and some were children of deaf parents. One commonality was loads and loads of smiles all around as the anglers were anticipating the experience of the day.

I had three lovely young ladies aboard for the first session, and all three were able to hear, so we were off and running. As we took off, they were asking if we could go fast! I told them about the no wake zones and the buoy markers, so as we got to the end of the boat docks they were cajoling me into "going fast". As I was the first boat out, they had no precedent for which to guage what to expect, and as I hit the throttle and the bow rose out of the water I heard lots of screams and giggles, all enjoying the moment very much. I eased off the throttle as we got on plane, as I didn't want to get going too fast and scare them, but looking over all I saw were smiles and eyes lit up in excitement.

We made the turn into Sevenmile slough, and as the wind was blowing pretty well and we only had an hour for this session I opted to turn into the first set of docks and let the boat float against the dock so we could get them set. None of them were 'anglers' in the typical sense, so I started off showing them how to work my spinning gear and explaining what to target, then casting for each of them to demonstrate. Over the next 15 minutes or so, they gradually got comfortable with the gear and were able to cast and retrieve themselves. We moved over to the next set of docks, and went back through the same routine, this time with them handling the rods all by themselves.

I wanted to head back into Sevenmile, but a glance at the clock revealed that our hour had passed quicker than I could imagine and I told them it was time to head back, unfortunately. They protested, but I said we had to as it was only fair for the others waiting to go out.

As we started out of the docks, I spotted a little channel (only about a boats'-width) which led behind the tule island across from the docks. I told them we could duck back there and try for a few minutes, and they shouted out in agreement. We pulled through the opening, lined on one side with extremely shallow grass, and there was a little channel along side the back of the island. We used the trolling motor to navigate the shallow water and thick elodia clumps, and there were two boat-sized cuts in the tules which looked promising. I pitched the first Senko into the cut nearest the front of the boat, then the other two into the cut near the rear, and about the time the third hit the water my angler in the front was saying "it's stuck!". I looked and saw that it was in fact moving and told her to "WIND, girl, WIND!!!" She did a great job and had the fish beside the boat, almost flipping it into the boat in the process. I told her to hold it there, and lipped a very fine 15" 1#10oz. largemouth bass which promptly went into the livewell. On the way back in, I spotted a huge fish of likely 10# or more, and showed the girls. Unfortunately it tucked under a periwinkle mat, so we proceeded back to the docks. After a little talk about how we protect our fish with livewells and proper caring and handling, we hit the 5MPH bouy and the girls insisted we "go fast again!!!" We got on plane, and were back at the dock in no time. After photos and getting the weight on my Cul-M-Rite, many of the kids at the dock were gathered around looking at the first bass brought back. Gary (Hubspinner) hopped on the deck, kneeled at the livewell, and one by one each kid climbed aboard and learned to lip a bass and get a photo. We also took another opportunity to demonstrate fish care, as Gary was very careful to let a couple of kids get photos, then submerge the bass back in the livewell to catch its breath, then pull it back out for the next round of photos. Once the photos were complete, the last lesson was to let her release her bass back into the water to grow larger for the next angler. Great stuff!

I then took a young brother and sister out, along with Mom. All three were deaf, but Mom let me know she could read lips and would interpret for me. We went and poached Gary's water, as he was still at the dock and I knew he had found some biters there the day before, and the little folks seemed to have a pretty good time in spite of not getting any biters. I finished up by slipping back behind the tule island to see if we could stick that 10, but a couple of blind casts came up empty and I saw no sign of her. I broke out my punch rig and fired off some shots at the periwinkle mat just in case, but again came up empty. At that, it was time to head back. Once again, all three had enjoyed a little speed through the speed zone on the way out, carefully watching the faces as we got on plane, so we got her back up to speed on the way back in. Mom let me know in her own way that she appreciated it, as did the two new anglers, and we said our goodbyes.

As I got back to the dock I was attacked by two of my first anglers, insisting that they wanted to go back out with me. I told them they'd have to check with LeRoy and Nathan as they were coordinating the boat assignments. They came back and said they were given permission, so I had them watch my boat and camera as I went up to grab a bite. The organizations had ordered pizza, and when I got to the clubhouse it looked like they had ordered maybe 40 - 50 pizzas for everyone! I wolfed down a couple of slices in the company of Scott (lawdog), then headed back down to go out for the third session. My girls were eagerly sitting in the boat (im)patiently waiting for me, and as we readied to go out they asked if one more friend could go. She was a really cute deaf angler, and looked eager to go. Also, she asked if her mom could go with us. Mom is deaf, and a really sweet and obviously caring mother, and I readily agreed.

One of the most heart-tugging moments for me came as we had gotten back to the dock for the first session. My angler was so excited catching her fish, and told anyone who would listen. As I was on the dock, I witnessed her explaining to her mom using sign language the full details of the fight from start to finish. Seeing this, and seeing the expressions on both her and Mom's face was one of those moments I will always cherish.

Back on the water, again they insisted that we "go REALLY fast!". We hit the speed zone, and I watched the faces of the two new passengers to make sure they weren't scared, and they were all smiles. We got to 50MPH before we got to the corner, and it was all laughs, screams and smiles all the way. This time I decided to go all the way back into Sevenmile, as I had scouted it on Friday and saw a bunch of nice fish cruising and hanging in the tules and wanted to get one of them to play.

We crossed under the bridge and past the old boat, and I opened it up to get near the end of the slough. As we got towards the end, I made a fairly tight banking turn and they girls were elated. Mom looked over at me and gave me a high five - they really liked the roller-coaster turn.

We fished along the tules, and given that we were near the bottom of the tide with a fair bit of wind, it was a bit challenging keeping the boat lined up and acting as deckhand. About half way down the row, the new angler was casting out into a little deeper water on the opposite side of the boat. I heard a squeal and looked just in time to see her rod bend. I told her to wind, and one of the girls told her using sign, and she proceeded to crank the fish right to the boat all by herself. Once again, she nearly bounced the fish in, but I was able to get her to hold it steady and a liplock had it onboard! A quick check indicated that this was a 14 1/2" fish, so after high fives all the way around we got back to it. I had picked up my flipping stick with a 7" Senko and started flipping out front of the boat, as my anglers were all doing great all by themselves, and after one promising pitch one of the girls had a problem with her rod. Once I got her straightened out, I picked up my rod and started to pick up the slack. As it came tight, I felt a quick pull followed by weightlessness and realized that I had a decent fish just spit my bait.

At that, it was past time to head back in. The girls were insisting they wanted to do another turn, and wanted me to do it the other way so that they were way up in the air. With that, I did a tight turn like the first, then countered with one in the other direction, and got another high five from Mom and lots of laughs and smiles from the girls. We headed back through the slow zone, and as we got closer to the speed zone the girls were insisting that they wanted to go really fast going back, so we got it up on plane and hit the throttle.

Back at the dock, Cooch weighed her fish and declared it to be 1#8oz. After photos and another angler release, we adjourned back to the clubhouse for the final awards. One young man had caught a bass weighed out at 2# even, suspicious as it was weighed on Cooch's scale (and EVERYONE knows about Cooch's scale!!! :shock: ), and my two anglers ended up finishing in second and third. I was really proud of the girls, as they actually hooked and landed the fish on their own and I'm sure are bit with the bug we have all caught.

I believe they are going to try to do this again next year, and I'd encourage anyone who can possibly come out and help to do so... this is priceless stuff and I certainly can't get enough. If you can help out as a boater, great. If not, come help on the pontoons, or dock coordination, or just in support - you CAN'T regret it!

I shot nearly 150 photos of the event - here's a link to the full slideshow I put together to share:
http://www.tunaman.org/pics/2011NCDC-CalBASS/index.htm

BEST REGARDS,
Roger
Tight lines forever!

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
LawDog

Post by LawDog »

Great job Tunaman, I could not have said it better myself. It was great to finally get to meet some of you nutcases that I have only had the privilege to read your threads. I was great to find out you're all a great group of people. I felt very rewarded and humbled at the same time last night when I got home. I did not see one person with a disability yesterday, just a group of people with rather large hearts.

One of the memories I will never forget was seeing Cooch taking out 4 deaf teenage boys and showing them how to flip dropshots in the pockets of weeds. I think Cooch made up a new form of sign language and the kids understood it. The one comment that put it over the top was made by another person at the dock. "I know what it's like to hear Cooch talk...He can be hard to follow sometimes...I can imagine what it sounds like to those kids to see him sign!"

Thanks to everyone for a great day, One I will never forget.

Scott Povio
Cooch

Awesome, Thanks fer that post brotha Tuna!

Post by Cooch »

Scott's right, I think Roger summend it up well for ALL of us!

Another thing I might add, I think we may have in the wings a new fishing series in the works here! It'll be called "The Delta's Deadliest Pontoon Captains!" Captain Pete(Pete Belicci of Inland Marine) took that first group of kids and found the blue gill honey hole! Capt'n sTony( Tony Stoltz of Westernbass.COM fame) was quick ta follow. Them two, along with their deckhands Alan, Paul & Chris, had those kids yankin blue gills up and over the rails like frenzied yellow fin massacre in the Pacific! Them two pontoons crews were a death squad on them gills Sunday! HAR!
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

LawDog wrote:Thanks to everyone for a great day, One I will never forget.

Scott Povio
Scott - THANK YOU for driving up from Gilroy just to be a part of this event!!! YOU are the epitome of the WB Nutcase, and we're sure glad to count you among our ranks!

Roger
Tight lines forever!

kraetzer

Post by kraetzer »

What a great day. On my first trip I had a young boy catch his first fish ever on a drop-shot. That 8 inch fish put a smile on the kids face -> unbelievable.
And by the way, that 2 pounder was weighed on my scale so it's official :!: otherwise it would have been close to 3# 8)
Thanks to everybody for coming out,
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

kraetzer wrote:And by the way, that 2 pounder was weighed on my scale so it's official :!: otherwise it would have been close to 3# 8)
That makes me feel better then! :lol: :lol: :lol: Very glad you were able to come out also - thanks for your participation!

Roger
LeRoyJr

Post by LeRoyJr »

Dear Cooch, James Lew, Scott Pavio, John & Clora Castro, Roger Nelson, Gary Collins, Steve Meduno, Reinhard Rauser, Jim Boike, Ron Cormier, Mike Meyers, Ronnie VanAirsedale, Tony Stoltz, Pete Belicci, & Paul & Chris Fenk,

Thank you so much for the time you spent with the children from CalBASS. The kids were very excited and we appreciate you taking the time to teach them some of what you know and let them learn from your experience. We are excited about the possibility of repeating this event in the future and will surely lend a hand if you have an event that needs assistance.

Thanks again!

CalBASS
Attachments
CalBASS-Delta2011.jpg
CalBASS-Delta2011.jpg (52.85 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
LeRoyJr

Post by LeRoyJr »

I got a few messages from parents that I thought to share this with you all. Even though most of compliments I got was in person.
Hey LeRoy,
I just wanted to thank you for a great weekend! The girls, my dad, and I had a great time. Your a good man for starting your fishing club,cause it is really something special for the kids. It's something they will always look back on and remember. Be sure to tell Cooch and friends thank you! And my their lines be tangle and snag free and their live wells be bountyfull!

Thanks again,
Mike L.
You did a great job putting today together. I was very impressed and I can see that the children had a great time. Thank u and great job!
sTony

Post by sTony »

Alan and I had a ton of fun out there with the kids and their parents. If I could choose, I would do something like this every weekend. No better feeling at the end of the day. Thanks for the invitation, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

sTony