replacing battery tray

ash
SpeedBump

replacing battery tray

Post by ash »

Good Morning,

I have a 97' Pantera Classic and I am replacing the old battery trays designed for a grp 27 battery, that is broken to a tray for a grp 29 sieres. I noticed when I pulled the old trays that the area where the screws went into the raised area where the batteries are placed were filled with a silicon or filler of some sort - it also looks as though there may have been a plastic insert for the screws to go into.

My question is what is the proper way and materials to re drill holes for the new battery trays?

My guess is that the old screw holes need to be filled with silicon so that they do not become a point of water entry; and that when i drill out for the new holes I need to fill the area with caulking prior to screwing in the screws and do I need to use a plastic tab (like a dry wall anchor) so that the screws have bite. I am not able to reuse the same hole pattern.

I would like to complete this project tonight - thank you Nutcases.

Ash
Rich reeser

Re: replacing battery tray

Post by Rich reeser »

Ash,
I just moved mine and was told that you should put silicon in the predrilled holes before you put the screws in. Make sure to use stainless steel screws.
Rich
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Rich the silicone makes since to keep the water from getting into the fiberglass - I am using the factory screws so they are stainless - did you need to put anything in like an anchor or screwing into the fiberglass directly is OK?
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Make sure what is under the area where you plan to drill. Try drilling a small hole the size of the screw minor diameter, run the screw in to thread the hole before installating the battery tray*. Use marine grade silicone sealant on the screws and filled holes.
*If the screws strip when tightened, then use a plastic dry wall screw insert.
Tom
stan7

Post by stan7 »

I like to use 3M Marine Fastcure 2500, its a white polyurethane. Its very strong and flexible. I use it to plug up the old holes, then put some on the new screws going in to seal them up too. It also keeps the screws from loosening. I got it at Home Depot.

Make sure you drill the hole big enough, if you try to to force the screw into the fiberglass it'll snap. The stainless screws are fairly soft.

The best battery tray's I've seen are the Seafit brand that I bought at West Marine and is what I used for my cranking battery. But they only go up to group 27.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10551

I used two group 29's and ended up making an aluminum tray and stainless hold-down bar system. I just don't like any of the battery tray's I've seen for the larger batteries they look too weak.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Thank you all for your input and assistance, project replace battery trays was a success :D

I appreciate the help

Ash
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

Ash, Bass Catt has some great battery trays. They are quite pricy though. What I did was buy some of the battery boxes that are easy to find and cut them down to about 2 in tall and used pan head sheeet metal screws to attach them to the boat. Then put a piece of rubber in the bottem so the screw heads would not harm the batteries.

Silicone is a very poor product for sealing holes, over time the water will migrate around the sealer. The loctite products are much better.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Thanks Leon - i ended up using the silicone, but will keep my eye on it for future needs. I appreciate eveyones feedback - to be honest i thought my best responses would have come from BCB or BBC but the NUTCASES came through for me!

Thanks! :mrgreen: