Input on upgrading boats

donkeyfish

Input on upgrading boats

Post by donkeyfish »

I currently have a 14ft aluminum boat with a 25hp Evinrude, 45lb minn kota front mount trolling motor, and full deck. I found a guy selling a 98 Bass Tracker, 17 feet, with a 25hp motor, 40lb trolling motor, with a HDS-5x. It's in decent condition, but my main concern are the motors, both the outboard and trolling. It seems underpowered on both ends. Test driving it tomorrow. He wants $3500. Not sure if it's worth it, and looking for some input. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Bobby T

Re: Input on upgrading boats

Post by Bobby T »

I think you should consider holding out for a fiberglass boat. I started out bass fishing in a Tracker TX 175 70hp.I still have it but it is now just one of my back up boat's. I even choose to fish the night tourneys at Casitas with my little 14' fiberglass boat over it allso I have a Procraft 200 bass boat for traveling I bought it used at Anglers Marine. Buy what you can afford but get the most for your money !!! Just my 2 cents... Bob Tull
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

for 3500 bucks, i would look out for a good 300 series ranger. it all depends on where you fish. I prefer fishing from a little wider boat with a couple of nice size compartments to store away things. PLus you dont have to worry so much about picking your days to go fish.

Steven
J. Walker

Post by J. Walker »

I currently have a 99 PT185 with a 90hp merc. and the boat has been great for me. I was actually in the market for a fiberglass boat, but this one came up and thought I got a great deal mainly because of the motor. It had low hours and everything else I saw similar had between a 40-60hp for about the same price. Bought it almost 2 years ago for $4,800. Like I said the boat has been great and I do fish some tournaments out of it, but would love a wider boat. This is my first boat, but with a growing family I'm looking to upgrade........maybe next year to a fish/ski.
NitroSport

Post by NitroSport »

25hp for a 17 footer with a load of fishing gear & yourself is way underpowered in my opinion. For that kind of money I'd save up a little & keep looking. There are tons of used boats out there for sale right now.
Bobby T

Post by Bobby T »

NitroSport wrote:25hp for a 17 footer with a load of fishing gear & yourself is way underpowered in my opinion. For that kind of money I'd save up a little & keep looking. There are tons of used boats out there for sale right now.
Even a used motor to upgrade the tracker your looking at would most likely cost more than the price of that boat.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

NitroSport wrote:25hp for a 17 footer with a load of fishing gear & yourself is way underpowered in my opinion. For that kind of money I'd save up a little & keep looking. There are tons of used boats out there for sale right now.
I agree, this boat is underpowered you are better off in your 14 with the 25hp then in a 17 with a 25. be patient KNOW what you want in a boat and dont settle
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
bassaddicted

Post by bassaddicted »

Check Craigslist there is a lot of bass boats in that range. Go to boats and type Ranger or bass in the search for box. Good luck.

1979 19ft Ranger Bass Boat with 175 Mercury outboard 120 hours on new power head. 2 fishing graphs. Motor Guide 50lb Trolling Motor. New tires, Two New batteries, New steering cables, New water pump, New trailer wiring. $3,000.00 Call Barry at (510) 881-4892. There is a pic. on Craigslist under Monterey or SF bay area.
corn griffin

Post by corn griffin »

i gotta 85 glasstron,17 and 1/2 ft. in pretty dam good condition, 150 merc, full deck, fast lil bugger, new water pump, lower unit oil, rebuilt carbs... i was kinda flirting with the idea of sellin it ta get sumthin bigger... waitin to see bout this other boat

pm me if ur interested

and i agree dont spend 3k on a small aluminum, esp a 17 w/25hp ...too slow
id let my boat go for less
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

i currently own a 60hp basstracker 09. If your price range is 3500 you can probably do better than a 98. I'd say an 02-04 are more like it. a 25hp motor will go probably 31mph less if overloaded, the 02 came with a 46lb trolling motor, and it worked fine except on the windy delta days.

getting an ancient fiberglass boat for the sake of fiberglass is a mistake. Aluminum boats have alot of advantages too. But if your buying new and in the 17-20k range you should look at all your options.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
donkeyfish

Post by donkeyfish »

I took it out for a test drive yesterday. It's a little faster than my current boat, but I think im gonna hold out for something better. Plus if I sell my boat I will have more money to work with. Thanks for all the input. Very much appreciated.