Need trolling motor help

WildDog3

Need trolling motor help

Post by WildDog3 »

The other day while at a lake that is trolling motors only, I was loading my boat back on the trailer using my trolling motor. I went to pull it up a little late and it got caught on the back end of my trailer. The lower end of my trolling motor bent under my boat pretty far (thank God for the spring system, otherwise it would have been ugly). Now it is harder my turn it with the foot control. I took it apart and lubed the bearing that spins it and checked the pulley cables. I think I might have bent the part of the shaft that is in the tube casing. Anyone have any thoughts? Is this easily replaced? I have a Minn Kota Maxxum Pro 80lb thrust.
WackySenko

Re: Need trolling motor help

Post by WackySenko »

I do not know if this will help much, my trolling motors are Motorguide. I did the same thing and broke the drum coupling that connects the outer tube to the cable drum ( the gear that the cables are attached to). I took the outer tube off to check it and the column. They were not bent, lucky me. I upgraded the drum coupler from the original plastic to a metal one for under $ 20. It took me about 1-1/2 hours.
Hopefully Minn Kota is as easy as Motorguide. Good Luck
minnkotaman

Post by minnkotaman »

pm sent.
Madbasser

Post by Madbasser »

Minnkota's have a composite lower shaft that will probably brake before it bends(and stays bent), what might have happened is the metal tube on the upper half of the shaft bent and the lower shaft is binding inside there. Call the Trollingmotor doc. He's probably seen that happen ,or at least the results, once or twice. :roll:
He can help you find the right part for sure.