PUMPING THE DELTA DRY

Gene Buchholz

PUMPING THE DELTA DRY

Post by Gene Buchholz »

In the latest report from Dan Bacher from Fish Sniffer publication our great powers to be in Sacramento and Washington DC are killing more fish then ever imagined.
In a report written August 8th, 2011, from Jan. 1st through August 2nd 2011 the pumps on the Delta have killed 9,000 splittail, 430,289 striped bass, 54,412 largemouth bass, 60,383 bluegill and a lot more.
Your wondering what is happening to our Delta!
Go to www.calsport.org or Danielbacger@fishsniffer.com
GrantOlguin

Re: PUMPING THE DELTA DRY

Post by GrantOlguin »

Gene, I had a post up here on western Bass for 3 weeks regarding this. We had about 300 views while where to buy a hamburger on the Delta post had over 1200 views...? Does anyone else care that we are loosing this battle? We do thank those that donated to the campaign.
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

This is why the striper bite was so bad last year and maybe why more and larger bags are harder to come by in the tourneys like the snag proof this year?
Topwater Terry

Post by Topwater Terry »

has anybody come up with the bright idea of putting up screens on these pumps?
steve0806

Post by steve0806 »

There has never been a better solution to this depradation problem than changing the conveyance system from "through Delta" to around or under the Delta. All kinds of screens have been used on the pumps. There are hundreds of illegal pumps in the Delta which are not screened. Those pumps extract water and fish (fertilizer) into the adjoining canals and fields in the Delta area.
BS'r

Post by BS'r »

I had an inside view and tour a few years ago of the State run one , not the fed. The state used three circular big siloh tanks 10 ft wide and 15 deep. Inside the tin barns they would drain, winch down net, fill, lift net and manually count the species in the net and manually log into chart. These were all 14 inch and smaller fish. none were harmed. This must be happening somewhere else on the system .
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Southern Ca. water officials and central valley farm organizations have been giving presentations at City Council meetings in the area about how the canal will benefit the North. They are saying if they don't put in the canal the next big earth quake could break over 20 levies and flood the entire area. Where have you heard scare tactics like this before.
This is for real and it is just not going to affect our fishier it is also going to have a great impact on our own local farmers and local businesses. For instance when they raised the bridge toll it cut down on the amount of guys launching on the south side of the river that just doesn't affect me and the launch ramps but the gas stations, restaurants and others, it will have the same affect to all Northern Ca. businesses if the canal is allowed to be put in!
Just my 2 cents without saying how I really feel
Gene
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Tell us what to do.
I have no experience fighting deep-pocket business interests.
Seems like we do this dance on a regular basis, but there never seems to be a 'big' organization that can oppose these rich folks.
Where are the folks that want to save the SF Bay? Don't they think a canal would bad for the Bay?
I don't think my single voice contacting my state reps is going to amount to much. After all my state reps (and yours) are busy trying to get re-elected. They don't have time to be bothered by little old me.
Please advise.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Rod Brown

Post by Rod Brown »

Back in 1994 I worked for the Striped Bass project. I don't know how it is now, but back then State Fish and Game did a dead fish count at the Federal pumps every two hours and then with that count, the Feds would pay either Fish and Game or the General fund for that fish loss. It was sickening to hear the numbers. Most were 1/2 inch to 3 inches, but it was in the thousands for each species every 2 hours. The average public has no idea what is going on at those pumps. I believe those reports that have been written up are public knowledge and someone that has the time could do some research and make some key phone calls to get those reports. In short, our concern; the fish only to mid millions which isn't that much compared to the price of water maybe as much as a billion dollars.
I am thankful for guys like Bobby Barrack, Gene at the Hook, Andy Cuchia, Wayne Walsulko, John Caulfield (sorry for the name butchering) and all the other guys that keep us aware of these issues. Thanks Guys!!!

Rod Brown
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

There is an organization called Restore The Delta their web site is www.restorethedelta.org. They have been fighting this for a long time get in touch with them or become a member.
You can also join your local California Strip Bass Association (CSBA) I know the local CSBA here is active in trying to stop them.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Rod Brown wrote:Back in 1994 I worked for the Striped Bass project. I don't know how it is now, but back then State Fish and Game did a dead fish count at the Federal pumps every two hours and then with that count, the Feds would pay either Fish and Game or the General fund for that fish loss. It was sickening to hear the numbers. Most were 1/2 inch to 3 inches, but it was in the thousands for each species every 2 hours. The average public has no idea what is going on at those pumps. I believe those reports that have been written up are public knowledge and someone that has the time could do some research and make some key phone calls to get those reports. In short, our concern; the fish only to mid millions which isn't that much compared to the price of water maybe as much as a billion dollars.
Supv. Biologist Marty Gingras likes to post links to striped bass data from his branch and other offices' programs. I don't think he's ever posted on this website though.
BS'r

Post by BS'r »

bump... This should be on top and locked. They pulled a lot of water this weekend. The temproary rock damn's look like waterfalls. Wasn't like that a few week ago.

Not sure if this has been posted previously but there's good info and data on this link, about 27 pages from 2010

http://calsport.org/news/wp-content/upl ... losses.pdf

and a vid.
http://calsport.org/initiatives/delta.php
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

bump