I want to right a wrong ! Outing Guides !

Guy Kelley

I want to right a wrong ! Outing Guides !

Post by Guy Kelley »

Some time I seem to put my foot in my mouth and chew it up to my knee cap !

This it seems to be one of them. When I suggested to not be nice and out those who provide poor guide services !

In my attempt to do so it seems that I offended some here who provide that service as well as others on this forum !

Although, It was not my intention in my original post to try to offend or "Hurt Those Who Provide Guide Services As A Livelihood".

But! By the very nature of my posting of the subject would do just that !

It seems that I have done so and I wish to apologize to those that I may have hurt or offended in some way !

I only tried to correct what it seemed to me from a earlier posting of "Who Catches The Big Fish, Guide or Client ?" A general complaint by some who responded, a lack of services provide too some clients. The margin of complaint's were few and minor. I took it on my self to some how right a perceived wrong ! What I did not realize. As pointed out by others. I was lumping all guides into a category that was not fair or equitable to any !

This is not a excuse for my reason of my posting or attempt to offer one ! Being part of a service industry, I become passionate when I hear of poor services provided and have a tendency to leap off the wrong side of reason !

To Johnny C or others that I may have blemished your reputation in some way. I am sorry for my misguided remarks and retract any past comments made !

If it is suggested. I will delete my earlier posting on the matter. And leave this one on the forum as a public record !

I wish to go on Public record that this was not meant as a slight to any or the few that I may have caused harm too !

Guy
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
Tarpon120

Re: I want to right a wrong ! Outing Guides !

Post by Tarpon120 »

Is your keyboard missing the period button? Aye carumba.
g-man

Post by g-man »

I wouldn't sweat it Guy, My moneys on you kick'in Martys a$$.... :shock: :D
100% LL
Dom

Post by Dom »

Hey G-man Can I get some of that action LMAO :D
Tight Lines Dom
g-man

Post by g-man »

Dom wrote:Hey G-man Can I get some of that action LMAO :D
Yup!

Its me, and you Big Tex! :evil: :wink:
100% LL
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

By defination a guide is hired to take you to your destination. An instructor is a teacher. If you looking for a bass fishing instructor to teach you how to bass fish and you don't know where the bass are located, the instructor becomes a guide. If you just want to learn a particular presentation from a skilled bass angler, the instructor doesn't need to take you to a place bass are located, you simply need the proper type of water to practice on.
Any local angler who knows where the bass are located can become a bass fishing guide. The guide who is skilled at having the clients catch bass and enjoy thier time on the water gets more clients.
I don't an issue with any of this, except on small public lakes where fishing pressure is extremely high and the bass fishing guide that is catching bass and adding to the daily fishing pressure by harvesting* bass daily. The guide is making a living on public waters, his or her costs are not any different than anyone else; pay the lake entry fee, license and boating expenses, the bass are free.
Naming names when you are upset about bad behavior; it's better to have a talk one on one at the time you are on the water to settle any differences.
Tom
* catch & release doesn't mean release and live, a % die.
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

Talking one on one on the water may sound cool, but not always true.

Same for draw pro guys or whatever.

At the time you may not speak up, but after the tailights are hitting the road you may realize that guy was not being a cool dude.

A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

Oldschool wrote:By defination a guide is hired to take you to your destination. An instructor is a teacher. If you looking for a bass fishing instructor to teach you how to bass fish and you don't know where the bass are located, the instructor becomes a guide. If you just want to learn a particular presentation from a skilled bass angler, the instructor doesn't need to take you to a place bass are located, you simply need the proper type of water to practice on.
Any local angler who knows where the bass are located can become a bass fishing guide. The guide who is skilled at having the clients catch bass and enjoy thier time on the water gets more clients.
I don't an issue with any of this, except on small public lakes where fishing pressure is extremely high and the bass fishing guide that is catching bass and adding to the daily fishing pressure by harvesting* bass daily. The guide is making a living on public waters, his or her costs are not any different than anyone else; pay the lake entry fee, license and boating expenses, the bass are free.
Naming names when you are upset about bad behavior; it's better to have a talk one on one at the time you are on the water to settle any differences.
Tom
* catch & release doesn't mean release and live, a % die.
I fail to believe that a bass guide, in particular, is simply a boat for rent with a driver that takes you to a honey hole. I'm sure there is a fair number of those types of clients hiring guides but less so for black bass. It's an interaction type of fishing that takes much more than a hot spot and a night crawler. By default, the sport of black bass fishing requires knowledge and technique. If you acquire the skills and simply hire a guide to take you to the fish, you have over spent by 200%. It's about $40 to rent a 14 foot boat. The other scenario would suggest the client is clueless altogether and the guide then would certainly have to teach many things. Either way, the guide is doing much more than chauffeuring.

Here's the definition of "guide" for kicks n giggles. The way I read it, it says a guide does a bit more than taking you to a destination.

American Heritage Dictionary:

guide

(gīd)
n. 1. a. One who shows the way by leading, directing, or advising.
b. One who serves as a model for others, as in a course of conduct.

2. A person employed to conduct others, as through a museum, and give information about points of interest encountered.
3. a. Something, such as a pamphlet, that offers basic information or instruction: a shopper's guide.
b. A guidebook.

4. a. Something that serves to direct or indicate.
b. A device, such as a ruler, tab, or bar, that serves as an indicator or acts to regulate a motion or operation.

5. A soldier stationed at the right or left of a column of marchers to control alignment, show direction, or mark the point of pivot.
Support 81
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Revoke36 wrote:I fail to believe that a bass guide, in particular, is simply a boat for rent with a driver that takes you to a honey hole. I'm sure there is a fair number of those types of clients hiring guides but less so for black bass.
I'd say the opposite it true--I think most people who go out on guided bass trips are folks with fair-to-little experience and just want to spend a day on the water catching fish. They're recreational trips. The trips hired to learn a certain body of water or seasonal pattern or pre-tournament conditions are probably in the minority. In fact, Johnny C posted this on the other guide thread:

http://www.westernbass.com/forum/viewto ... 63&t=72910
"Being a long time guide and personally knowing most of the guides, and taking guide trips myself, I think you are missing why the majority of clients go on these trips. They go for a day on the water to catch fish at a minimal cost. Now I know your going to go back to the money thing again and think its not cheap. Well most clients have money. They have money becuase they understand business and how to make it. they would rather not have the headache of owning a boat and all the gear."
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

fish_food wrote:
Revoke36 wrote:I fail to believe that a bass guide, in particular, is simply a boat for rent with a driver that takes you to a honey hole. I'm sure there is a fair number of those types of clients hiring guides but less so for black bass.
I'd say the opposite it true--I think most people who go out on guided bass trips are folks with fair-to-little experience and just want to spend a day on the water catching fish. They're recreational trips. The trips hired to learn a certain body of water or seasonal pattern or pre-tournament conditions are probably in the minority. In fact, Johnny C posted this on the other guide thread:

i]"
I hear ya and I admit that I have little experience hiring guides and dont know what the majority actually is. However, my opinion is based on what my ex-girlfriend's dad has told me some years back when I inquired about his charter guide service. He commented that he couldnt help me anymore than I can help him with fishing for largies cus it's different from what he's accustomed to. My impression was that it was beyond bait n wait. Now that I have a newer understanding of guide services, I will be sure to research the potential guide to suit my needs. I've been attempting to make a side savings to hire a guide for awhile. Kinda been stale for me lately and I need to learn a few new things to spark things back up :)
Support 81
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

It not easy being a fishing guide. The majority of the clients are novice anglers who hire a fishing guide that is recommended to them by the local hotel, marina or advertised media. The vast majority of guides fish with whatever works best for thier clients.
My experience with bass fishing guides goes back to fishing on Casitas and Castiac in the 80's & 90's and vacationing in Canada. In Canada the guides are usually local indians who take clients out for walleyes, bass, trout, pike and have a shore lunch or local anglers with specific skills like musky fishing. In Canada, Castiac & Casitas guides were local anglers with clients and fished bass 90% of the time with live bait because of the skill level of the clients and ease of catching fish. Before 1980 I had never seen a guide on a fresh water lake, except in Canada.
I have taken out several local bass "pros" who wanted to learn how to fish jigs for example, but not for hire. Guides earn their money, however they sometimes over harvest some spots and I do get upset when crowded off a spot. At the end of the day it's public water, sometimes words exchange, usually we agree to disagree, no apolgy needed.
Tom