From Co to Pro...............

littlebailey

From Co to Pro...............

Post by littlebailey »

I just wanted to see about how many people that fished the co-angler side of the pro ams last season are stepping up to the front this coming year? If your one of them give us a "I stepped up". We need more people to step up. Ive seen too many co's fishing as a co for far too many years. Many of them have the skill to compete and get paid but chose not too. So how many of you are stepping up?
"Posse Approved"
www.reactorwatch.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.irodfishing.com
rickyshabazz

Re: From Co to Pro...............

Post by rickyshabazz »

Great question and post. I fished co-angler for 4 years before I went to the darkside. I also travel with two well known co-anglers that have made a lot of money from the backdeck-Both have won two boats. Both of them have no intention of fishing as a Pro.

One has a very busy job and family, and it is easier for him to show up and fish.

The second does not have the financial resources (tournament boat, truck, etc) to make the jump.

I think that this question is different for each angler based on their own circumstances.

Should be interesting to see the responces.
The Wanabepro
littlebailey

Post by littlebailey »

exactly Ricky. I fished as a co angler for four or five years myself. I decided to make the jump because its what i love to do. Many Cos dont have the luxury of just going for it. Family, job, dog, money, ect. But just to get a rough estimate of how many make the jump, let us know if you plan on at least trying the front deck. The coangler aspect of tournament bass fishing is to learn from the pros and eventually make a decision on if you want to compete at the pro level. i dont think the co angler divisions were ever intended as a separate playing field. I may be wrong. :D
"Posse Approved"
www.reactorwatch.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.irodfishing.com
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

I'll be fishing the Everstarts from the back of the boat and whichever pro-ams I can from the front.

Should be fun.
Monsterfishingtackle.com
sTony

Post by sTony »

As long as you pose the question knowing that there are indeed regular co's that have no interest in ever jumping to the front in tournaments, all is good. Some guys enjoy the co experience, find a lot of competition there, and have no interest in moving beyond. And that should be okay, because they fill a lot of back seats in tournaments that would go unfilled if the requirement was eventually moving to the front.

A certain percentage of guys will make the jump but a percentage of them won't last and should feel comfortable moving back also. And some guys will feel comfortable stepping right into the front and bypass the back seat co deal and that should be cool too. There's no guideline for what is and isn't a pro beyond one's wallet and what they can afford. It's also the wallet that'll keep some guys, skilled enough to do so, from making the jump to the point end. Right now, the finances are tough in 'pro' bass fishing and you kind of have to accept your willing participants, Pro and Co, from where ever they come, and hope that they keep coming.

It's good to encourage co's to become pro's but don't force the situation on them and, better yet, provide some support and encouragement for those that do make the leap. Help them build their networks and become more competitive sooner and maybe more co's make the big step. Is it a big one. And it was a great question, Paul!

sTony
littlebailey

Post by littlebailey »

I meant no harm with this post. I just wanted to see how many people were pumped on moving up. Thats all. i see there isnt many. Its kind of sad.
"Posse Approved"
www.reactorwatch.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.irodfishing.com
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

Flw having back to back to back to back events is going to be tough for anyone. Stepping up or not. I know its not the answer to the question asked, but I believe its going to hurt the complete season Angler.
str8upirish

Post by str8upirish »

I've been fishing team tourny for the last 5 years and will continue this year plus fish a couple co sides of some Pro/Ams. I'm hopeing to fish the co side for the next 4 year untill my youngest graduates from school. Freeing up some time and money to move up to the Pro side if my skill level is there.
Old Trapper Beef Jerky Best In the West
http://www.oldtrapper.com/
Phenix Rods
http://www.phenixrods.com/
River 2 Sea
http://www.river2seausa.com/
California Reservoir Lures
http://www.californiareservoirlures.com/
BHQ
http://bassanglerhq.com/
TXRIGGED

Post by TXRIGGED »

I proposed to Egan to offer a rookie of the year prize. Give new pros something separate to fish for. I'm in as a pro.

PS Paul; are you gonna throw a c-rig. Had a great time fishin' with ya.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Read your post at work this morning Paul and thought about it all day. I take it from a different perspective then most. I have the desire and the willingness to move up front of the boat, may not have the skills. I also have the support of my wife but I really don’t have the time. In anything a person dose it takes time to be good at it. I’m really not talking about the time on the water, I do my best to get that in on weekend and holidays. I’m more referring to pre-fishing before the event. Each person has their own number of days that they think is enough, I think 3 to 4 days is my magic number of days.

The Pro/Am happen on Saturday and Sunday or Friday Saturday, that means I have to use the middle of the week to Pre-fish. Fishing the FLW as a boater it takes a whole week to get ready if not more. Those days in the middle of the week cost vacation time from work and some don’t get as much as others.

This time to Pre-fish is not only for I can do good at the event but also to put the back seat on fish too. I know a lot of guys (note I did not say Pro) that don’t think about the back seat but I believe to be a Pro is more than fishing the front of the boat but who thinks you’re are a Pro.

Good Post!
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

Marty, you hit it on the head there with the Pro-Ams...that's my biggest issue. Time away from work to practice. I am young and haven't been able to get out to too many spots to fish and have little to no experience on the water. I would feel I need a solid 5 days of practice fishing to get it some what dialed in..to search the lake.

My current job doesn't pay as much as I'd like and I get 3 weeks PTO. I am going to see what I can do to maybe fish a derby or two this next year as a Pro...just to see what happens.

Lastly, boat. I don't have the funds to get a boat... so that kind of puts a damper on certain things too.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
sTony

Post by sTony »

littlebailey wrote:I meant no harm with this post.
No one said you did. I did say it was a great question. :)

sTony
Kenny Webb

Post by Kenny Webb »

This sport is being dominated by the top guys. The best keep getting better. I just sat out the Won Bass Pro-AM lake mead due to not being able to take enough time off work to pre-fish. I would need at least 3 days to even give myself any chance at doing well. If you organizations want better numbers and want this sport to grow then put off limits on your events. You are keeping the average guys and girls from entering your events. There is nothing more discouraging then scrapping funds together, getting time off work for a day and half time to pre-fish for an event, to find out you got your *** kicked by one of our sports TOP Anglers who has been fishing the lake for 2 weeks prior to the event. What a great feeling to know I just blew 1500-2K to fish a pro-am event and got beat by someone who fishes for a living and pre-fished the lake 10 straight days.

At least make it a week off limits. You will have the top guys bitch and complain about this but they will still fish these events I guarantee it. Some of you will say the Best will still show on the top of the leader board True, but I guarantee you will see new faces at these events and also more anglers making it at this sport.

In my opinion the idea Pro-Am circuit would have the lake off limits 1-2 weeks prior to the event. Give the Friday prior to the event a day on the water (no casting). You would be allowed to graph and scout out locations for the tournament.

Anyone with the last name bailey, or Kerr will still take the top ten spots. These guys are going to kick *** no matter what, but give the average good sticks out there trying to make it a shot.

Kenny
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I've stuck my toe into the PRO ranks here and there but, mostly it has been in the co -ranks due to money, time, and prior events/commitments. As of today, i have a total of 4 hrs. of Paid time Off (sick/vacation) left from the year. If i take any more time off, it will be without getting paid. Three weeks off a year get sucked up by 3-4 top tier events really quick.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
gofish42189

Post by gofish42189 »

Interesting post. I personally plan to skip the co thing and take a shot as a pro in the next year or so. Id love to start this year, but will probably have to wait till next year because of work and finances.
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

Im in the same spot as many of you. I would love to step right up to the pro leval and am trying to do so this year. I have the money set aside for the first two figureing for travel, food , lodging ect. Only thing is like many, with work really slow right now Im thinking that money may be better off rat holed away for a rainy day. If things pick up Im all in this season. Sign of the times I guess.
hawghustler

Post by hawghustler »

Paul,

You have posted a great question. I am in the process of doing all I can to make the jump to the front seat full time. I own a small bait and rod company and fish full time for a living. The only thing holding me back is financials. I fished 2 B.A.S.S. Central Opens from the back deck this year, lots of team tournaments and borrowed my partners boat to fish the US Open (70th). I just placed 15th at Table Rock from the back, outfishing my Pros both days, and to be honest feeling a little bad I did. On day 2 at Table Rock my Pro lost his lower unit. He was in 10th and I was in 9th. To see how bummed this guy was really hurt. He put in so much time and money to fish this event and I just showed up for the party. The point is he was fishing from an older boat. I run a 1989 Gambler with a 200hp Optimax. I've won a ton of money in it but just don't have the confidence to pay the big entry, plus time and expenses, to have equipment failure. So, I will fish the B.A.S.S. Central Opens as a co-angler this year because I feel like it gives me the best shot to win a boat. If finances allow I will fish as many FLW"s as a pro that I can and after last year, as long as I am breathing I will fish the US Open.

So to answer your question: I'm kinda making the jump. Im constantly looking for sponsorship and wracking my brain to get a new boat. I will add this 2cents. If the west coast tournament trails want to draw full feilds they need to work on their payback and schedualing. Its hard to be a full time pro here on the west coast.

Dan Price