sharpening hooks ???

bassz21

sharpening hooks ???

Post by bassz21 »

Im goin through all my blades and jigs and need to sharpen a bunch of em whats the best and easiest way to sharpen hooks i'vd tried my hunter honer and just cant get it thanks for any input.
yjjustforme

Re: sharpening hooks ???

Post by yjjustforme »

Sounds like a great excuse to tell the wife that u got to go to the tackle store to go but some new lures :D. Take advantage of this my friend!!!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I use an old 1 1/4"X 3" diamond sharpening plate that I used to touch up my chisels. I got it at a wood working supply store.
I just rub the hook against the stone, five or six passes each for top, bottom, and both sides. Bigger hooks will need more passes.
I'm sure Home Depot or Lowe's carries similar things. Just get the finest grit you can find.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

I can put a razor edge on a knife or an axe, but I have never been able to get a point on a hook..I guess I am just doing it completely wrong..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Takedown

Post by Takedown »

If you can find a flat Diamond Stone, this is your best friend on sharper hooks.

I have finally found a company that makes custom diamond stones.
We are trying to work out a price that all fishermen can afford.

Most diamond stones only offer diamond cutting on one side, we are trying to get "Medium Grit" on flat side and "Fine Grit" on side that has a custom V (Hook Slot)

No matter what style of hook sharpener you buy, make sure it has case to protect the grit.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Resharpening hook points depends on the metal the hook is made from and how it's heat treated.
Premium needle point heat treated and black nickle plated hooks can't be honed back to a needle point by hand, unless you are very skilled with a stone. Your best bet is the sharpen the point into a 3 or 4 sided knife point until the tip scratches your thumb nail with ease. You can do this with a good fine Arkansas stone and knife sharpening oil or a fine tool makers flat file.
Tom
jrbasspro

Post by jrbasspro »

couple of things i use the hook sharping stone with grooves on both sides. use it wet with a light oil or plan old water (water works best for me i dont like the oil traces left behind) it takes practice but you will get the hang of it pretty quick, pratice on an old spinner bait

second thing is i clamp the hooks down in a small vise or fly tieing vise, once you get the hang of it you can do most hooks bye hand and be careful you can over sharpen a hook. i use the 1/8 oz chatter bait and the hooks are for s--t, you have to sharpen them and it was pretty easy to over sharpen them (cheap hooks) some of the better quality hooks take a bit longer but it is worth every penny

for every three strokes on top I do one to two on each side after doing this three times I do the sticking fingernail trick if it sticks and hangs in my finger nail its good to go.
dont be afraid to use the side of the stone either.

Mark thanks for the tip on the small file i will pick one up and try it !

walt kondracki
listen to that gut feeling!!!

"keep it clean and dry"
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Here's a link for one supplier of small diamond whet stones:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... et%20stone

I'd get the fine stone. My stone is 30+ years old, and still sharpens well. I leave it in the sst bowl at the bottom of my pedestal, so it's always handy.
CLEAN AND DRY
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

Best hook sharpening file i have found is at the fly fishing store, called Dr Slicks.
http://www.drslick.com/products_hookfiles1.asp

its small, but very well made and does a great job of putting an edge back on those hook points. I keep it right in my day box on the boat.

Kopper_Bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

For on the water touch ups this key chain sharpener works good.
http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/DMT-M ... 13c24.aspx
Fine grit about $13.
Tom
Takedown

Post by Takedown »

We have signed a long term agreement with a major diamond stone manufacturer. We can now offer tackle stores the finest hook sharpener. The Hook V slot will give you the ultimate point fast. If you need to cut off a bent hook point? Use the flat edge with medium pressure. It will make a new point in just a few strokes.

To Sharpen a Hook;

Force the Diamond Stone between your thumb and finger so it contacts the point or barb. Your thumb and finger act as a sharpening guide to achieve the right angle.

Test the point on you thumbnail. If it skids on your nail under very low pressure, sharpen it again. Be very careful not to puncture your nail with the ultra-sharp point.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Takedown wrote:We have signed a long term agreement with a major diamond stone manufacturer. We can now offer tackle stores the finest hook sharpener. The Hook V slot will give you the ultimate point fast. If you need to cut off a bent hook point? Use the flat edge with medium pressure. It will make a new point in just a few strokes.

To Sharpen a Hook;

Force the Diamond Stone between your thumb and finger so it contacts the point or barb. Your thumb and finger act as a sharpening guide to achieve the right angle.

Test the point on you thumbnail. If it skids on your nail under very low pressure, sharpen it again. Be very careful not to puncture your nail with the ultra-sharp point.
That looks exactly like the stone I have.
Who makes it?
CLEAN AND DRY
Takedown

Post by Takedown »

This is an Eze Lap product. Fine Grit
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Takedown wrote:This is an Eze Lap product. Fine Grit
Thanks. It is the same stone I have. It does work great.
CLEAN AND DRY