Quick question or two on the A-rig

mac (Doyle McEwen)

Quick question or two on the A-rig

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

I realize Paul Elias did very well with it in his last tournament..Obviously it was quite effective for him..Was he the only contestant using the rig, if not how did the others using it finish in the contest..Would or could he have done as well using a different bait/technique suitable for the situation he found..Of course we will never know the absolute correct answer for the last question, simply because he did not use or try another bait/technique..But it is something worth considering or at least thinking about..

Personally I doubt I will ever use the system, but then again I didn't think I would ever try swimbaits, and I still haven't when it comes to the really large ones..Each of us will decide to use or not use the A-rig for whatever reason..I would be willing to wager most using it will never have the success with it Paul had during that one tournament..I might eventually try it, but not anytime real soon..I can see its benefits and can envision some possible problems using it..It still comes down to being in the right place at the right time and presenting the bass something they want..I do not see it as being as sporting as say just one lure, but when you are trying to make a living by fishing it may have some added benefit, as does multiple treble hooks on any artificial bait over a single regular hook..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
GKramer

Re: Quick question or two on the A-rig

Post by GKramer »

Looking at the coverage report on bassfan.com, it appeared that by the last day, most of the top 10 did use the rig, and most got their biggest sacks of the week with it. But fishing hasn't changed. You've seen it all before and this rig will go through its hot period (when the fish are working baitfish).

Also, in the coming days you will be hearing of a number of western fishermen who have already been using spreader rigs--some for several years, and/or are introducing them now. It seems it takes the spotlight of a big tournament to jump start the bandwagon for so many things in bass fishing.

Is that the best route? Probably not. Ideally it would be like a tackle buyer told me years ago, "Don't tell me what's hot right now. Tell me what's going to be hot in six months." :D