Newer- used boats Question

Morgan

Newer- used boats Question

Post by Morgan »

I see lots of boats that are barely one year old and some that people are planning on selling in nine months listed on the classified board. A buddy said don't bother with them as the owners would not take care of them and drive the S**t out of them. Why would someone bother to go through the break-in period just to sell them. What's the reason they are being sold so fast? :?:
Is it worth the risk? :?:
Just planning my future boat purchase..So just trying to get some info.
Morgan
Dewayne

Pro Staff Boats

Post by Dewayne »

When you are on the promotional staff of a boat/motor company you get a new boat every year. This is the time of year when the sponsored tournament anglers, tournament staff, journalists, and guides are ordering their 2006 models. They are usually a good deal. As a promotional staff member if you do not take care of the boat you will not be able to sell it for what you owe on it. I purchased a pro staff boat back in 2000 and ran it for 4 years. I got an almost new boat for a great price. Contrary to what you friend said when you use your boat to make money you take very good care of it.
Dewayne
Ken Mah

I agree w/Dewayne

Post by Ken Mah »

There are some guys who are on staff that do not take care of their boats. It’s more of a personality thing that anything else. I take great care of my boats. Number one that’s who I am and number two, if you are going to sell anything and expect full market value, you better take care of it. People are spending a lot of money on boats.

Look over anything you buy. I would definitely look at a pro-staff boat. Many times if you do not mind waiting, you can order your colors and options. Looking for a 2006 I-Class Skeeter by chance??? Whatever model you are looking at, drop me an e-mail. Chances are I have a friend that runs what you are looking for. Good Luck Ken.
Gator

I have been on ...

Post by Gator »

the informational side of this for some time.....I am not a sponsored boat owner.

People who have boat deals have the best of two worlds, to a point. Yes, they get a new boat every year or so. Yes, they get to sell that boat every year or so. Oh wait, did I say that was a benefit???

Well, "Memo" deals are a double edged sword. Yes, you have the opportunity to get a new boat every year. Yes, you get to buy it for a little less than the public. Yes, that is cool.

Now the downside. You must continue your primary objective with the boat manufacturers, which is to sell boats. Yes, I said sell boats. You must prove to the manufacturer that you are helping them to move their product. This includes spending time at trade shows, or at your sponsor dealer helping them to sell the boats. You must also continue your prescribed objective. Were you a tournament angler with consistent finishes? Were you a tournament angler with a big win here or there? Well, you need to continue to have your name and their brand out there in the public eye or you can kiss your deal goodbye.

Finally, you must BUY your boat. Yes, I said BUY it. They don't just hand it to you and tell you to go have a nice time. You need to pay them for it. And what you need to pay them is not thousands less than retail, in many cases it is just a couple of thousand dollars less than you could buy it on the street. Now, most established fisherman with deals sell their boats before they ever get them, because they have the reputation of caring for and maintaining their boats, and the buyers know they are getting an exceptional deal.

This is how my reply ties in to this original post. Most anglers who have a memo deal, care for their boats better than if they had bought them outright. One, they know they have to sell them at the end of their memo term. Two, they know that if there is one problem, it will be brought to light through forums such as ours or in bigger cases, taken to the manufacturers directly. None of them want this to happen. They want their sponsors happy and they want their buyers happy.

I do not currently have a memo deal. Would I like one? Yes and No. I think the positives outweigh the negatives and that I would be a good representative for a manufacturer and dealer. Do I want to deal with the meticulous maintenance that is part of having a memo deal? No I don't but to secure and maintain a deal I would gladly do it. Do I want to spend time at Trade Shows in a booth instead of walking the floor looking at all the latest and greatest? No, but again, if it was required to get a deal I would do it gladly and to the best of my ability. Boat deals have positives and negative for both sides but I believe they balance out in the end.

As you can see, a memo deal is not all it is cracked up to be but it can be beneficial for those that have them and maintain them.

I believe that anyone who buys a memo boat is not only getting a great deal but also a chance to get one of the most well maintained used boats available. You also get a boat for less than retail, with a good balance of the warranty intact (boat and motor).

Good Luck with your purchase and don't look down on memo boats, they can be a great deal in the long run!!
rickyshabazz

Get References and take a Test Ride

Post by rickyshabazz »

I have sold three or four boats on NCBF and ALL of my boats have been taken care of extremely good (great). I can provide references for perspective buyers to speak to people who have bought boats from me. I agree with Ken, some people take great care of their boats while other people don’t.

I’m not sure what experience your friend has had, but I haven’t had one dissatisfied customer because the guys know that they are getting a great boat at a great price.

PS. I have a 2006 Z20 that will be sold at a great price. Check it out on the for sale page.
Ricky
Rob

My experience

Post by Rob »

I bought a memo boat last time out from KB and couldn't have been happier. I do think you have to make sure it is from someone who takes care of the boat as some people don't and wouldn't even if was theirs for keeps. I am waiting on a new boat now and would have done another memo type boat but needed a certain size for the garage and the newer Rangers are too wide for my purposes. I do know KB's got a boat for sale.... 8) (Back at ya Kent...)

rob
Andy Giannini

Memo boat, good deal!

Post by Andy Giannini »

I would agree, that the staffers take really good care of the boats. They might appear to drive them aggresively, but you are watching very experienced operators who have a good idea what the craft is capable of. This is different than a relatively new operator, taking wild rides and selling it after intrest wanes.

To the memo guy the boat is a serious investment, and he is going to take care of it, or lose money.

I would also agree, that personalities make a difference in how things are taken care of. Walk right past the boat for sale and take a hard (subtle) look at the tow vehicle. Thats going to give you some clues as to how the operator maintains equipment. A few jerky wrappers might be ok, but you don't want to find a beat looking truck, covered with bird poop and bugs. And if you notice, many of the staffers keep very sharp looking tow vehicles!

There have been memo boats that had real problems, and the staffer got stuck with a boat he owed more than he could possibly sell it for. And that may be root of the "beat up pro-staff boat" rumors. Pro staffer gets a bad deal in this scenario.

I would consider a memo or even a prize boat vs. new. The new boat guy takes a huge hit in deprecieation, just like a truck. Let someone else take that hit. I read recently that a new truck costs the owner 200 a month in dep. over the cost of financing, and insurance. I don't know how much a full blown Bass boat depreciates per month.

Food for thought,

A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Morgan

Good info.

Post by Morgan »

Thanks for all the information. I feel a lot better about going with one of those boats. I can now see why they should be taken care of.

Morgan