Phenix Rods, if you fish them i would like your input

smokinallison

Phenix Rods, if you fish them i would like your input

Post by smokinallison »

I been using Powell rods for quite a while now, although satisfied with Powell i was looking for a change in pace. I wanted a custom rod but wasn't sure what blank or what rod i wanted. I'm a better finesse fisherman, so a friend of mine recommended trying his custom phenix rod built for DS. He built me Drop shot spinning rod, that is absolutely the best thing I have ever had in my hand as far light line is concerned. Its awesome, light weight, super strong and very sensitive. I love it! As a result I went out and looked at some Phenix Recon Rods, very nice...So my question is who is using phenix rods and what applications do they excel at? please list what series you guys are using and for what applications. I'm going to the show to look at the new Recons and possibly a few different blanks. Anyone built any of the K2 blanks?
I was the red and white blur going by you...
Rod Martin

Re: Phenix Rods, if you fish them i would like your input

Post by Rod Martin »

I have one for my Jig rod and love it. I used Loomis for years , tryed some Kistler rods but have settled on Phenix for the rods I will use the most
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
str8upirish

Post by str8upirish »

I use to fish with Daiwa but since moved to Phenix. I really like the MBX line. It is the best rod I've ever used and my brother used mine and now he is switching over to Phenix. I have a couple of the Recons and are really impressed with them too. I have a Recon 744 I use for stick baits and jigs that never leaves the boat. For price and quality you can't beat the Recon line. If price isn't a problem the MBX line is the way to go.
Old Trapper Beef Jerky Best In the West
http://www.oldtrapper.com/
Phenix Rods
http://www.phenixrods.com/
River 2 Sea
http://www.river2seausa.com/
California Reservoir Lures
http://www.californiareservoirlures.com/
BHQ
http://bassanglerhq.com/
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

Great post and great responses. I also am someone who has grown to love the Ultra MBX series. I use them for every application out there. I personally love any rod that Phenix offers that is over 7'.
My favorite is the MBX 700M (spinning) that I use for my braid to 5lb flouro and it's great!
In regard to the Recon's my favorite overall baitcaster is the PHX-C744 and PHX-S723 on the spinning side.. All those rods can do it all..
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..
froteur

Post by froteur »

i have five phenix rods right now. three in the umbx realm and two of the composite cranking sticks. i absolutely love my rods! my favorite rod of the group is my 706m umbx classic spinning rod. my "old" dropshot rod started to delaminate so the phenix took over dropshot duties. it has been a great rod. i also use my x10 and x13 a LOT.

i was lucky enough to get a chance to test out three custom wrapped k2 rods a while back. they were extremely light and sensitive. i have two blanks right now waiting to be wrapped. one is a 715 blank that i will use for jigs and bottom contact techniques. the other is a baitcasting 764 blank that i will use for heavier dropshotting.

now that phenix has the 765 blanks in, i'm probably going to pick up one of those too.

i have NOT tried the recons yet but plan on rectifying that situation soon, though i've seen them in person. very nice build. from everyone that i've communicated with about them, they are great rods, especially given the price point.
StevieD

Post by StevieD »

I have fished Phenix for several years now, first starting with the Ultra MBX line and now since September, the Recons. I must say, I thought it would be extremely difficult to ever put down my MBX', but the Recons truly changed the game for me. I fished mainly heavy grass lakes, so my 3 go too rods right now are the Ultra MBX 707MH which I find to be an amazingly versatile rod, the Recon 796 for heavy flipping and punching and then the 764 which again, a super versatile rod for me. The Recons are arguably the best performing sub $200 rods to come along in quite some time and have all the high end components, a free rod sock, lifetime warranty and perform flawlessly IMO. Superb product.
TTaylor

Post by TTaylor »

I own both the Ultra MBX series and also the Recon series. I really like the MBX series, but the Recons are an awesome rod. Phenix hit a grandslam when they came out with the Recon series. They are light, very well balanced with excellent sensitivity. Between the Ultra MBX and the Recon series, they have a rod for any technique you are fishing.

I've heard a lot of great things about the new K2 blank. If I can put away some cash, I'm going to have a custom jig rod made out of the K2 blank.
froteur

Post by froteur »

TTaylor wrote:I own both the Ultra MBX series and also the Recon series. I really like the MBX series, but the Recons are an awesome rod. Phenix hit a grandslam when they came out with the Recon series. They are light, very well balanced with excellent sensitivity. Between the Ultra MBX and the Recon series, they have a rod for any technique you are fishing.

I've heard a lot of great things about the new K2 blank. If I can put away some cash, I'm going to have a custom jig rod made out of the K2 blank.
i can't wait to get my k2 jig rod done!
genensd

Post by genensd »

I have been fishing phenix rods for about 3 years now I still have a few other brands as well but I find myself only loading my boat with phenix rods for every trip.
I love the mbx 706M spinning rod the recon 722L spinning is sweet too, the 800h swimbait is sick as is the 707H and 703xh makes a mean frog and jig rod.
Just my opinion go pick one up and pull on it.
Skeeter59

Post by Skeeter59 »

I've been fishing them for about 2 or 3 years and will never let my UMBX 707ML off the boat or my 711 Ultra swimbait..... the feel alone is enough to sell people on them, but when you hook a fat fish with a rod that is as light as the phenix rods, wow.
I live in Colorado and fish more trout than bass lately, but Phenix has a good thing going. If you ever get the chance to fish an Iron Feather, take it! I've thrown 1/8 ounce tube jigs further than my buddies could cast with their 0 and 1 weight fly rods.
Wanting to try the recon's but, you will probably never get me to move from the MBX or MBX classic lines even with that series being a $100 cheaper.
tbounds

Post by tbounds »

These rods are awesome. I would recommend them to any one that likes light rods and loves the feel of custom quality too. I have the umbx 700M and i absolutely love this rod it has the best fell but is also super lite weight. if your are looking for i good drop shot rod the umbx 700m is the one. i Would also recommend the recon series if you are looking for a cheaper rod, these rod offers the most quality and feel out of any 170$ rod out their. They are super light weight and have excellent feel. The recon series is the real deal and i would recommend them to anyone who is looking for high quality rod for a low price. Phenix will have a both at the sportsman's expo and we would love to find you a rod.
BigJeff

Post by BigJeff »

I fish nothing but Phenix rods going back to when Pat & Larry owned the company, when Ty was making rods to the reincarnation. The UMBX rods are awesome. I have huge praise for the X-10 cranking stick.
froteur

Post by froteur »

just picked up a recon 796 and a umbx classic 707h on friday. got to fish the 707h on saturday, just using it for senkos. i think i am really going to like this rod (as i do all of my phenix rods).

hope to get a chance to fish the recon 796 soon.

-perry-