yearly costs of a weekend angler

jloo283

yearly costs of a weekend angler

Post by jloo283 »

I'd like to get a sense of what you guys spend in a year and if it gives you second thoughts about the whole tournament scene.

This past year, I primarily fished the delta. According to my smart craft gauge, I did about 98 hours. I couldn't believe it. I'm not hardcore by any means but I did go out about 3 weekends a month on avg, including tournaments. That's 36 times, throw in a few sick days and say 45 times, roughly 2.1 hrs of running time each trip.

My 150 opti does 58MPH at WOT and uses about 15 gal/hr. I'll say my avg speed when factoring in idling is about 30MPH, or about 8 gal/hr. At 98 hrs, 98 x 8 = 784 gals of gas.

Add about 2 gals of gas for tow truck both ways. For 45 outings, 45 x 2 = 90 gals of gas.

Assume avg optimax oil to gas ratio to be about 65 gals of gas to 1 gal of oil. 784 / 65 = 12 gals of oil.

Assuming $3.5/gal for gas, $28/gal for oil (bulk price).
784 x 3.5 = $2744 for gas for the boat
12 x 28 = $336 for oil for the boat
90 x 3.5 = $315 for gas for the truck

Costs of gas + oil = $2744 + $336 + $315 = $3395
Insurance is $100 (cheap liability only), sub total = $3495
Vessel Assist is $36, sub total = $3531

On avg, $8 for launch, at 45 times, 45 x 8 = $360, sub total = $3891
Yearly spark plug changes @ $15 each x 6 = $90, sub total = $3981
Yearly impeller change @ $40 for the kit, sub total = $4021
Yearly lower unit oil change @ $10, sub total = $4031
Misc costs of say $69 to make it even, sub total = $4100.
I fished small local tournaments, let's say about $500 worth of entry fees, sub total = $4600

Total for a year of outings comes to $4600, on avg, for the avg weekend angler.

Not including fishing lures, tackles, and equipment.

I'm starting to wonder where this is all going to take me in the long run.

What are your numbers and what do you guys think?

James
Jonnysig

Re: yearly costs of a weekend angler

Post by Jonnysig »

I am no where near your rig and set up...or near your time on the water. But I will say this about fishing. Its my hobby, my love, and a big part of my life. And I cant put a price on that. I say as long as u pay your bills and are not hurting yourself then it doesnt matter where fishing takes you as long as you enjoy it. Just my thoughts. If there is ever a day I cant put food on the table...well then im not fishing anymore. But as long as I got a job and can provide for my family im cool. This response may not suit everyone but it does me just fine. Would I like to be a pro fisherman? hell yea. just dont have the time or money to put into it like a lot of us weekend guys. but will i continue to pay X amount of dollars per year to go bass fishing and small tournys. Hell yea!!! My Father put all his hobbies on a permanent hold to raise a family...then his heart ruptured and he died instantly. That was 5 months ago. I refuse to not enjoy myself. As long as I can take care of my family I will pay whatever it takes to fish. Its one of your passions and you only live once. Get it in while you can! Damn I can ramble....
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

Throw in the tackle, food, ice and other misc costs its definitely a good chunk of change. There is a saying that goes something like "If I wanted to get rich I'd quit fishing"

To me though, the time on the water and enjoying the hobby is worth the costs. Figure if fishing wasn't your hobby you would have a different one that would consume the same amount of money or you would just have a boring life. Plus the upside to bass fishing is the potential to male some $ back.

Scott
"Jig fish are big fish"
kitjack

Post by kitjack »

Fishing can be relatively cheap if you want to keep cost down by not running the boat far, sharing cost etc. , and if you get any good you can win money in tournaments. Like anything else you can do it on a budget, fish with a buddy all the time and keep it reasonable, or if you have the money and want to spend it you can spend a lot on your hobby. Either way works and either way you can have success and have fun.

The good part for me is you can involve the whole family for not much more money, and you see a world that non fishing people can't even imagine. When you compare it to just about any other serious hobby it's about the same as golf or most anything else, but you get a lot more for your fishing dollars in my opinion.
Jonnysig

Post by Jonnysig »

My other addiction is Golf....forget about it. Anywhere between $40 to $60 everytime. I have def. put golf on hold cuz its just too expensive. Got my clubs, got my balls, but you gotta pay every time you wanna play. Not fishing. Got my rods, got my lures, and I can easily find launch ramps w/ no fee or minimal fee. And when I am pinching pennies I will stay close to the ramp.
Garrettt

Post by Garrettt »

It doesnt matter how much, because its what I do.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I fish almost every weekend. While I don't motor as much as you do, I drive 100 miles+- round trip, so I'm guessing my gas and oil costs are about the same as yours.
Add in annuals for 2 lakes, and that's another $500.
So $5,000+- is about right.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

Jonnysig, I'm sorry to hear about your father. My parents were pretty much the same. Today they're in their late 50s, early 60s. My father's got various chronic issues, my mother recently completed her treatments for stage 3 breast cancer. They're content in life but don't have any hobbies they enjoy. They live with me and I try to do as much as I can for them, as well as for my own young family.

So fishing is my escape. I know exactly what you guys are saying.

I'd consider anyone who fishes tournaments on a regular basis, no matter how small, to be more than just a guy with a hobby. And as I assess my year end costs/benefits as a first year boater who fished tournaments on a regular basis, it appears it will only get higher from here on and making me rethink my prospects.

James
Marty

Post by Marty »

You need to cut back on your run time – 2.1 hours only leaves you 6 to 7 hours of fishing depending what time of the year you are fishing. I would check out the map before you go out and work sections of the Delta and not run from one side to the other.

8 bucks on lunch is a bit over board – you know you can go to Subway and get a foot long for $5.

Question did you celebrate your smart craft gauge?
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

Marty wrote:You need to cut back on your run time – 2.1 hours only leaves you 6 to 7 hours of fishing depending what time of the year you are fishing. I would check out the map before you go out and work sections of the Delta and not run from one side to the other.

8 bucks on lunch is a bit over board – you know you can go to Subway and get a foot long for $5.

Question did you celebrate your smart craft gauge?
Hey Marty, yeah I did a lot of running and gunning but I thought 98hrs seemed a bit on the high side too, but you know, it's Mercury smart craft after all. You meant to ask if I calibrated my smart craft right? Although I did celebrate on the trip after I installed it by running the crap out of it :mrgreen:

No I didn't calibrate it, why? Calibrate with what or to what? The 2 things to be calibrated are the trim and fuel level but I don't use those. The hours and fuel flow rate shown are directly read off of the engine PCM, they're not something that need to be calibrated. At least none I'm aware of.

And as I keep thinking about it, the reason for why 2.1 hr per trip is because I assumed 45 trips total in the entire year, maybe I went out more than that. It wouldn't be out of line to assume about 55-60 trips, which comes out to about 1.8 to 1.6 hrs running time per trip, or 1 hr and 48 min or 1 hr and 36 min. They don't seem too unreasonable when you consider about 25 min of total idling time, then the rest for a round trip.

Oh and I didn't mean $8 for lunch, that was for launching the boat. In fact, I didn't even include lunch because I'd be eating lunch regardless of if I'm out or not :D

The total costs would be the same however.

Later
James
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I dont think your costs are too far out of range - I figure in fuel alone no matter what one day of fishing is going to cost me 100.00 on average - I go fishing at least 30 times a year thats 3grand - and I havent paid entry fees, launch, lunch, beer or bait yet - your number looks to be on target with my best guestimate - but you really need to delete this post, cause if our spouses see the reel numbers we are all going to be fishing in ditches from the bank :shock:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Jonnysig wrote:I am no where near your rig and set up...or near your time on the water. But I will say this about fishing. Its my hobby, my love, and a big part of my life. And I cant put a price on that. I say as long as u pay your bills and are not hurting yourself then it doesnt matter where fishing takes you as long as you enjoy it. Just my thoughts. If there is ever a day I cant put food on the table...well then im not fishing anymore. But as long as I got a job and can provide for my family im cool. This response may not suit everyone but it does me just fine. Would I like to be a pro fisherman? hell yea. just dont have the time or money to put into it like a lot of us weekend guys. but will i continue to pay X amount of dollars per year to go bass fishing and small tournys. Hell yea!!! My Father put all his hobbies on a permanent hold to raise a family...then his heart ruptured and he died instantly. That was 5 months ago. I refuse to not enjoy myself. As long as I can take care of my family I will pay whatever it takes to fish. Its one of your passions and you only live once. Get it in while you can! Damn I can ramble....
Right On Brother, Right On!!!
'Plan for tomorrow, live for today'
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
mike at robo

Post by mike at robo »

How much would you pay for a 5 pound plus fish to blow up on a topwater ? A frog bite way back in the junk ! Flipping a bait on 65 lb braid and getting the rod ripped out of your hand ! Having a giant fish chase a swimbait back to the boat with your heart in your throat waiting for it to bite or even not bite ! Having 5 good ones in the well and trying to guess ," do I have enough ?" having your name called last because you won ...... If there was a PRICE on these and all of the other intangibles that fishing brings to those of us who really love this sport and play it with a passion !!!!! Ain't none of us got THAT kind of money !!!!!!..... I gotta start drinkin decaf ....
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Word
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

Accidentally left this topic up as wifey grabbed the computer... WHOOOPS!! :mrgreen:

For me the killer is the dozens of useless plastics, crankbaits, hooks, jigs, etc that I buy and never use. Im sure im not the only one who has caught a 5lber on a certain crankbait, then decided i need 4 of every color and size. Line is very expensive, especially the good stuff... Changing the line on +15 setups gets pricey!!
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

Along with what Beefmaster said above, tackle is a killer! Jigs can be $3-4 a piece, pack of Roboworms is $3-4, spinnerbaits over $5 and so on. You buy these all the time and adds up a LOT! We've bought our own molds, pots and lead and make our own baits. Might be a little expensive up front but when you are making worms at a couple cents a piece they go a LOT longer. Then once they are chewed up, melt them back down and pour black worms! Never fails and has saved a LOT of money!

Another thing i've done to cut costs is on line...using backing and getting 2 reels spooled off a 200yd spool. Trust me fellas, you aren't casting close to a football field!

Gas is gas and sucks no matter what, but we have a Honda 4 Stroke and can make $60 last a LOT of trips. Cruise instead of top end and we get a lot of time out of the gas.

I've learned a lot of tricks to cut costs and get my money to go farther!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

If your spouses see this ooooohhhhhhh bbbbbbbooooooyyyyyy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5k a year, not a bad estimate. I used to blow that in one night. So the benefits of my fishing far outweigh the cost of "going" fishing. Everyones perspective is different, I think most important though is you have to have your priorities in order. If you sit there and add it all up and try to make sense of it, you won't. You do it because you love it. Because there is nothing greater than watching you kids fight a big one and land it. Enjoying being outdoors anticipating when the next blow up or big bite to come. No one likes to loose, especially tourny's, but if your adding up what youv'e spent versus how much youv'e won...really, You need to take a step back and take a kid fishing and reorganize your priorities and your perspective.
AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

Actually it's the wife's fault, she's the one with more sense and made me think about all this haha :mrgreen: but seriously, she's been pretty supportive and hasn't said a word. I couldn't be doing this without her support.

Yeah, I use cheap mono as backing on all my reels, 9 and counting, then I put about 80 yards of the real line on each. I do change them out every 6 months though. A good thing I bought 2000 yards spools, and I buy most things at discounts. As for plastics, I'm starting to see them piling up now, along with other baits and lures, most of which I haven't used. The one thing that's been a real saver for me so far is the maintenance, plus little additions like changing out old trailer lights, batteries, breaks, re-wiring, installing my own electronics, etc... I've been doing all of it myself and it's been a great learning experience as well.

NO WAY I'm quitting yet, you guys are giving some good suggestions on ways to get more value. I'll definitely minimize running-gunning from now on. Probably even try to learn pouring my own baits, etc... Maybe I might even win some this year who knows...

James
hasetak

Post by hasetak »

elfish16 wrote:
Another thing i've done to cut costs is on line...using backing and getting 2 reels spooled off a 200yd spool. Trust me fellas, you aren't casting close to a football field!

Not every one is going to agree with this but I have braid on all my set ups and use a mono or fluoro leader, braid lasts forever, and you are looking at just a few $ more for braid vs fluoro. I just keep 150 yd spools of 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 20, 25 in my boat and I can tie on a leader as fast as I can tie a palomar. When I first started doing this I had some knot failures, but I have got it down & dont know when the last time I had a braid to leader knot fail. This really will save some cash because the same 200yds to fill 2 reels will last me for about 100 leaders (50 outings per year that is 2 years and you can expect the same longjevity out of your braid) and I very rarly retie a leader on the water, I tie a new one the night before and if i need to retie on the water I usually have enough leader to just retie and not have to retie the leader.
Kevin Evans - Kap

Post by Kevin Evans - Kap »

+1 brother....
Wolfeman wrote:
Jonnysig wrote:I am no where near your rig and set up...or near your time on the water. But I will say this about fishing. Its my hobby, my love, and a big part of my life. And I cant put a price on that. I say as long as u pay your bills and are not hurting yourself then it doesnt matter where fishing takes you as long as you enjoy it. Just my thoughts. If there is ever a day I cant put food on the table...well then im not fishing anymore. But as long as I got a job and can provide for my family im cool. This response may not suit everyone but it does me just fine. Would I like to be a pro fisherman? hell yea. just dont have the time or money to put into it like a lot of us weekend guys. but will i continue to pay X amount of dollars per year to go bass fishing and small tournys. Hell yea!!! My Father put all his hobbies on a permanent hold to raise a family...then his heart ruptured and he died instantly. That was 5 months ago. I refuse to not enjoy myself. As long as I can take care of my family I will pay whatever it takes to fish. Its one of your passions and you only live once. Get it in while you can! Damn I can ramble....
Right On Brother, Right On!!!
'Plan for tomorrow, live for today'
You cant fix stupid, but you can vote it out...