locked down threads...

sTony

locked down threads...

Post by sTony »

Interesting to see open communication being locked down here as much as it has recently. I don't know what purpose it serves, for anyone.

My thoughts are simple on the ISE; what with the coming of the internet, who needs to go to a show anymore when you get this information, and much more, coming to us all easily and frequently right to whatever device you choose to utilize. Sure there might be some deals at a show, but by the time you pay to get in, pay to park and pay to eat or drink something, it's a far more expensive proposition then sitting at home or work and having the same information, only 100 fold, coming to you daily at no cost.

The times they are a-changing, and these types of shows can't compete.

Plus, it'd be really cool if the folks at the ISE and/or those that represent them actually listened to some of the complaints/suggestions rather then spend a lot of time typing out huge, long-winded, self congratulatory diatribes that no one really buys into anymore.

sTony
Brian D.

Re: locked down threads...

Post by Brian D. »

ahh.. Tony.... you need to learn the sekret handshake to get in the back door for FREE. 8)
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Brian D. wrote:ahh.. Tony.... you need to learn the sekret handshake to get in the back door for FREE. 8)
Dude, you're insane!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

sTony wrote:Interesting to see open communication being locked down here as much as it has recently. I don't know what purpose it serves, for anyone.

My thoughts are simple on the ISE; what with the coming of the internet, who needs to go to a show anymore when you get this information, and much more, coming to us all easily and frequently right to whatever device you choose to utilize. Sure there might be some deals at a show, but by the time you pay to get in, pay to park and pay to eat or drink something, it's a far more expensive proposition then sitting at home or work and having the same information, only 100 fold, coming to you daily at no cost.

Plus, it'd be really cool if the folks at the ISE and/or those that represent them actually listened to some of the complaints/suggestions rather then spend a lot of time typing out huge, long-winded, self congratulatory diatribes that no one really buys into anymore.

sTony
Wow. My feeling is in business you never ever stop listnening to your customers and your right Tony, this business has changed. But consumer shows will always be around IMHO. This year the LA Auto show was packed for 10 days straight even though you can get all the info you want from their world class websites. The chair in front of the computer is not the same as a seat inside of a new Z28 Camaro. Sometimes you want to feel things in person. Same thing for the computer show in Vegas. Packed. I think Kent does a great job promoting that show and from what I hear from the industry, it was a great show. I am hoping the Hall shows down here have as good a turnout. There are alot of folks who need those shows and the revenue they generate to make a living. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
sTony

Post by sTony »

Pionts well made, Rick. There are shows that are thriving today and well supported as well. I've always loved the Bass-a-thon as well and developed a sincere appreciation for it. Up here the trend for the ISE isn't quite the same though.

sTony
GrantOlguin

Post by GrantOlguin »

Rick G.

I agree with your post about how we need this ISE. As you know the original post was for suggestions on how to improve the show so that we don't loose the show like we did with the San mateo ISE and the San Francisco Fred hall show. As you know change in business is how businesses live or die.

Again, the question was how to improve the show. Rick, Since you run the most successful show in the U.S. do you have any suggestions for the show?

Grant
basshunter4u

Post by basshunter4u »

I will state my opinion. I read the other thread but with that being said I love the shows, and with the ISE, my choice for the ambassador of the sport Kent Brown helping out every year with the bass section is au some. Could you imagine ISE without KB? I agree it could always get better but its not broke so lets not fix it. Lets lube the wheel a bit and get it spinning better. With the use of the Internet information and on line sales seems to be where its at these days and I don't know if people are just wanting to shop from home or its the economy or what. If we could all put our thoughts together and help we all can help the show stay in Sac.
Anglers marine and Rick Grover puts on a hell of a show with some of the top notch names ever, I met Forest Wood, Bill Dance, KVD, Hank Parker and a number of other HOFrs to be at his shows. Could both shows be better? Only the public can tell ya by the input they create by voicing an opinion to grease the wheel.
I am a swimbaiter period. That's what I love to do. I do it because I do it for the love of the sport. KB, RG I will fly myself or drive to any show and do a seminar or Q & A about swimbaiting for FREE. Why? because I love this sport. I sell baits and promote the sport but not one particular brand or maker. I support the guys like Jerry Rago, Mattlures, 316, Hudd, Slammer, basstrix, Black Dog, and all those all other guys a that dont have time to fish because they are in their garages and shops trying to get us the best baits we can use wether its a new rig jig worm or swimbait. Lets keep this thread positive for our good and lets not put fuel on it to hurt it. Our sport depends on all of us. Take a kid fishing it will give you peice of mind and goodness in your heart

Don Osborne
never give up, be possitive and patient, and you will be rewarded
sTony

Post by sTony »

One thing I will point out, Rick, is that car shows and consumer electronics shows have a much more broad based appeal to the general public. The Fred Hall Show has always been a great event, but even they, in current economic times have had a harder go of it. The ISE in the North just keeps losing venues and the Sac show keeps shrinking down, while at the same time costs at the show keep rising. In a down economy that's not a good deal.

Both there and here, salt is king. Vendors are fewer at the shows, and when you call in the summer to get a booth space and are told that the show is 'sold out', then you go and see half or a third of what the show once was, it speaks volumes.

Yes, there are less boat dealers out there and it shows at these shows, but many of those still in the game can't get enough boats sold to justify the cost of floor space. Such is the economics of it.

sTony
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

careful boys, this one might get locked down as well.... :D :D :D
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

I agree with Tony on the the show shrinking and cost rising for sure. I think Mr. Osborne put it best. Nobody is saying the bass expo is broke at all. I would like to lube it up and spin that SOB into the next dimension. Just Improvements that can help create a unique experience that attracts more attendees. Maybe Mr. Grover can set a booth up? That would be awesome, but probably be out of his sales territory. I wouldnt mind seeing a mercury booth or presence like at other shows i have been to. If we boost attendance,I believe presence of larger companies may become a reality. The show must prove itself to attract the larger companies and this all starts with the ISE management and all of US............
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
topdawg2700

Post by topdawg2700 »

I to wanted to post on the other thread and don't know why it was locked down. First I have to say I thought it was a great show. I went on Friday and Sunday and Friday was packed but Sunday was a little slack but we all know the niners were playing and it was expected. Was there some things missing...yes typically there is a lot more outside stuff...but we all know the weather was crap and it was explained in the other thread that some vendors didn't show up due to that. I thoroughly enjoyed the sessions at the tank that I watched. I was so glad Tosh was there as I had some questions about punching that I got answered for me. I agree what was stated in the other threads about who was there....I don't mind if there is a few pros there as that is great for the kids and us but what I really want is pros there that I can ask questions to about how to help me figure out the delta or a particular lake at this time of year or when the water clarity, temp, or level of the lake is this or that. I love to see the retailers as we all do and what is the next best thing or whatever. It was also explained why it was held on that particular weekend at that time of year which I never knew and always wondered why they didn't hold it at another time. Now I know why and I'm fine with it.

Are there things that can make it better ...ABSOLUTELY...but that is what people that are involved with making the show do....they take what was good, change what was bad (if anything), and add whatever they can while staying within a budget. Most people have no idea the headache, politics, and chore that is involved in putting something this big together. All they do is come to show....see what they like and notice what is missing and judge it without ever realizing what was put into it. I say if you weren't involved then you have no right to bitch. However, it is perfectly fine to have suggestions as I'm sure they are wanted and needed. It is a business, and businesses want and need to make their customers happy. Now if you are not happy with the way the show operates or feel you could do better...I say then get INVOLVED and make it better. I give total props to Kent and all involved to make that show happen. I think they do a great job while staying within their budget.

I have to tell you I don't have many suggestions myself but I did like the idea of being able to try the lure out before you buy it. I would like to see the trolling motor manufacturers there (if they were I missed them). Wish I could afford a booth and paint custom lures on the spot for people but I'm not quite that good yet (at least on the spot..lol) nor can I afford it. I wish they still had the pass that you could buy for all the days instead of paying for each individual day. I mean I'm sure there are so many suggestions out there to be heard without the bitching.

I took my 6 yr old girl on Sunday afternoon, and we had a blast. The only thing I complain about is my own fault for not taking her earlier cause we didn't have enough time to see everything. We stood in line for a little while to catch a fish cause she insisted to fish at the big tank. The guy at the tank was AWESOME....total props to him. He baited the hook and casted it almost to the other side of the tank. When that fish bit she set the hook like she was setting on a 5lb bass and he let her fight that trout all the way back and was in NO HURRY to net it as he let her have the FULL experience. That was awesome and I was so proud of my little girl. When we left that day I asked her what she liked the most...she told me EVERYTHING. The only thing she asked me when we got back into the truck was daddy can we go earlier next year so I can see the rest of the show. I tell you broke my heart that I didn't take her earlier and she didn't even win a rod or reel or ANYTHING out of all the raffles they were having. I bet 80% to 90 % of the kids won something there that day and that is a testament to the people and businesses involved in doing so. I never see any other show or function where that big of a percentage of that many kids wins something. TOTALLY AWESOME!

So bottom line is....can we make it better ....YES....do they do a great job already...YES! Question is can people make suggestions without Bitching and complaining when they are not involved in making the show in the first place? Sorry to long winded but felt I had to say something....just came out longer than I expected. Thanks again Kent and all involved and can't wait till next year and neither can my soon to be 7 yr old little girl.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I haven't been bass fishing that long, but I see a direct correlation between how the economy is going, and how well the shows do.
If we can survive this terrible economy until it really turns around, things, including fishing shows, will all pick up again.
Until then, most of us are in survival mode, and that includes the fishing vendors.
No one is selling tons of anything, because there aren't tons of buyers.
But things will turn around soon. Europe and Asia have both shot themselves in the foot economically, so the money people, who invest to make money instead of working, will look to invest here again, and that's what we all, including the fishing industry, need.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
backseatfishergirl

Post by backseatfishergirl »

I'm not putting in my 2 cents here. No opinion- I was just wondering - so I guess that's asking for other's people 2 cents...
Is it really the same sitting at home getting info on the internet? Not just fishing info but anything?

Have the times changed so that people are equally as satisfied sitting at home on their computer reading about "stuff" and watching "stuff" rather than going into the community and "being part of stuff"???

I'm not asking what people do because of finances because thats another topic all together and when you cannot afford something it doesn't matter what you "want" to do. You do what you can.

But are times changed so much that people are just as happy reading fishing info on a computer screen rather than going to a show (perfect or not-just any show in general) and talking with people,seeing a hometown hero angler or maybe even a fishing idol, seeing gear/baits in person, camaraderie- interaction... actual sensory stimulation other than a computer can provide-

Are people just as happy fishing or bowling on a wii in their livingroom as they are as really doing it. Is that tv channel that airs the yule log fireplace during Christmas the same as being infront of a roaring fire?

Money, travel and time aside would you rather go see the Bassmaster Classic if it were in your city or would you rather watch the livestream.

Again, no 2 cents on my part - I was just reading this post and it struck me that maybe people find the virtual world a replacement for actual participation. It never really dawned on me that it had come to this- most people I know are on their computer when there is "nothing else to do" but then I don't know that many people, in the scheme of things.

So I was just wondering if thats what people thought - again I understand everybody cuts their fun-money expenses in empty wallet times but thats not what I mean. When the economy turns around will free info on the computer have made leaving the house obsolete?
Last edited by backseatfishergirl on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

I'm with Backseatfishergirl -

Sitting on the computer getting the information isn't the same as experiencing the show and the people.

If that were the answer noone would ever travel - hell, looking at a picture isn't the same as seeing the grand canyon in person. I can think of a few other comparisons where looking at pictures isn't as good as seeing the real thing in person... haha

I've ever considered the ISE the place for all the tackle and gear and products - its the atmosphere. Its the feeling of camaraderie.

I understand its about the business, I really do - but I sure wish it was appreciated more for the people. Maybe I'm naive because I'm such a fan of the sport and forget that I'm also in the business.
Monsterfishingtackle.com
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

For most the show is a place for you to get together with your friends and check out new stuff, drink a beer and just have a good time. I work on the vendor side and no longer get to enjoy the consumer side. I think its a good place for customers that want to look at some of the stuff in person like rods. It's hard to feel a rod on the internet. Sure you can take the advice of others but you never know until you play with it in person. If you have gripes then you can complain directly to the people if you choose. If you have questions, you can ask in person. You might learn something new that was not on the internet.

The shows have been tougher and tougher for vendors. The booths are getting more expensive but you can put your product in front of thousands of people for several days. Because of the cost it prevents some smaller vendors from participating. We are seeing smaller booths within booths now. I think this is a great thing. The larger tackle shops will have a booth and sell small portions to some of their suppliers to showcase the latest products. This is perfect for the smaller guys that can't afford their own 10x10+.

I admit working on the other side of the table has its challenges. Long days and lots of bottles of hand sanitizer :wink: I have seen way too many people not wash their hands after using the restrooms...

I do like interaction with our customers. I also get to see some friends that I do not see often enough. I even learn a few things from the locals. You just never know what is going to happen at the show.
fishn4bass

Post by fishn4bass »

Jody,you hit it out of the park.Very well said.As for the person who started this thread there seems to be something other than what is or isn't going on at this years ISE show bothering him.As mentioned above there is a lot more going on at these shows other than what intrests most of us on this site.Getting kids involved at these shows is one of the most imoportant things any of us can do.What do most kids these days do,play friggin video games,and watch nonsense on TV.Or spend countless hours online.And I can guarantee you that they are not looking at fishing reports,tackle,boats, or anything outdoors related on youtube!Is this really the direction we want the future of our outdoors to go.I certainly hope not.

Get your children involved,take them fishing,take your childrens friends fishing.I'll bet alot of them have never caught a fish.Bottom line is they are the future of our sport we love so much.Without a future generation of younger people getting involved in the outdoors there won't be an ISE show.
sTony

Post by sTony »

Sorry but there's no axe to grind or hidden agenda. Just wanted to see the topic remain 'open'. As a result there have been many supporting comments for the show and constructive posts that followed. Bang on me if you like but there's usually a method to my madness and it's kind of worked. :D

sTony
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Tony, I dont need to inform you that this is the "Kinder and Gentler" WB.com. I feel that Wayne has done a great job with the site and has drawn in more sponsors and even some Tourney org's who at one time or another all take a beating here. Your also correct that the shows have changed for sure and with that dealers and vendors need to change what they are looking for out of each show. As far as the Bass-a-thon being different from the West's consumer shows it is. Alot of what makes the BAT a great show is the timing as there is a wind down from the derby season on all levels, including the National Tour events. But the biggest factor in the BAT's popularity is the vendors and the timing of all the new product introductions that come out before the new years selling season. Grant has been a leader in that way for the last 5-7 BAT's. The swimbait mfg's, the hardbait makers, plastics guys, rods, reels, and electronics all seem to get introduced in the timeframe and along with some of the hottest National and local talent are a good combo. I have never been to one of the ISE's shows to compare it to the Hall shows, so I am not a good comparison guy. The Hall shows down here have in the last 10 years become more of a blowout swapmeet than a new product show as everyone there is looking to steal a deal. As a boat dealer we try and do our best to make sure we have a good representation of the product we sell on all levels and styles, give the best prices we can, and supply the best info we have to the customers. The amount of sales at the shows dont really have anything to do to me of weather we had a good show or not. If we do our job correctly, a customer we talked to a few years ago who is now ready to buy at the show is just as important as one who came there today to look. You just never know when they will be ready. Our shows here are really just giant customer reunions after 32 years of selling and theres nothing wrong with that. But I sure like the free parking at the BAT alot better than the 10 bucks at Long Beach. Thanks for you and Grant's support over the years and I guarantee you Kent is already working on making next years ISE better than ever. Rick
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3