Best Fluorocarbon for Spinning Reels

Bassackwardz

Best Fluorocarbon for Spinning Reels

Post by Bassackwardz »

I’ve used a few different companies Fluorocarbon on my spinning reels and found that most have a lot of memory and come off the spool weird. Can anyone recommend some fluorocarbon line that pairs well with spinning equipment.
Brant.
B List
Huntington Beach, CA
kane-o

Re: Best Fluorocarbon for Spinning Reels

Post by kane-o »

sunline shooter !!
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

The best fluorocarbon for spinning reels is not as good as the best nylon monofilament and certainly not close to any of the premium braids for the same work. Since you can put a fluoro leader on either, maybe you should go a different direction. Frankly, with the money I ultimately save using braid (with its longevity and the fact I can un-spool it twice, then respool to use the "other end" of the stored line) I can upgrade to Sunline Sniper for leader material. :wink:
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

I've basically traded my flouro for braid on my spinning reels and put a 5-10ft flouro leader on there. The sensitivity is incredible and i have no issues landing fish or getting bit... even in 15ft visibility!

for leader material I've been using Seaguar Invisix and/or BPS Flouro. :D
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

Kramer hit it on the head. braid to flouro leader.

Try either the Seaguar Kanzen Braid in the 10 or 15 lb or Suffix 832 in the 6 or 10 lb. for your main line

learn the albright knot on you tube.

Then its Seaguar Tatsu all the way for your top shot leader. The stuff is bullet proof. It is the best line I have ever used around the Quagga Mussels. 4-8' leaders for reaction type stuff and I like about a 25' leader for down bait fishing. The longer leader helps get your line down in the water column because the braid is so buoyant.

I made the switch last summer and let me tell you, I am mad at myself for not converting sooner.

Good luck,

Mike Tuck
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

If you don't want to mess around with the extra knots required to tie with a leader, try P-Line Fluoroclear, it's a hybrid with low memory and small diameter. Another option is use small diameter braid like Diawa Samerai 15# (0.007 D) and tie direct without a leader. We tend to over play the invisiable line theory, bass are rarely line sensitive if the lure movement/action isn't affected.
When using FC line as a main line you must also use a line conditioner like TangleFree and use a good inline swivel like Spro to help prevent line twist. The braid elimiates the line twist issues.
Tom
Bassackwardz

Post by Bassackwardz »

Thanks for all the info, this will get me going in the right direction.
B List
Huntington Beach, CA
ASD

Post by ASD »

I use Power Pro Supper Slick braid with a 20' Seaguar Tatsu leader.
jc351

Post by jc351 »

Sunline braid with a double uni knot sunline shooter leader...........always!
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

what's a spinning reel? 8)
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

if you order the kanzen braid at Tackle warehouse you get the 40 yard spool of tatsu for free right now....
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

Ask 10 guys you'll likely get 10 answers. While there may be other ways to 'skin this cat' ... I personally feel that fluorocarbon lines are the way to go IF YOU ARE FISHING DEEP clear lakes. While there are tradeoffs with mono, braid & fluoro; for me to fish deep (greater than 20 feet) fluoro wins.

Things you should consider, in no particular order:

- sensitivity (braid for the most part, but fluorocarbon is not far behind)
- line twist (braid wins),
- cast-ability (mono or fluorocarbon wins)
- handling ... depending on the brand and model; on can argue braid or mono
- longevity, braid & fluorocarbon
- abrasion resistance, mono & fluorocarbon
- others????

As for line twist, braid will have the least. Both mono and fluorocarbon have some issues. But one can minimize this effect by using a larger diameter spool. I've been using the Daiwa 3000 size over recent years ... larger diameter spools have less turns of line for a give length of line; thus minimizing the amount of coils and reducing line twist.

I have found that fishing small line diameter braids a little difficult to manage in terms of casting light weights such as 1/16oz or even 1/8 oz dartheads with small 4" or smaller worms. The braid tends to dig into itself making it a bit of a bear to cast the next time. Furthermore when fishing deep, braid floats whereas fluorocarbon sinks ... so with braid, you CAN get it down deep, but will have a big bow in your line in the water. So while there's no line stretch, you still have to take out that extra line in the bow before hitting the fish.

Furthermore, because braids have no line stretch, you should probably fish a rod that is one power LOWER ... to allow a little extra give to fighting the fish as well.

Personally, I've used a lot of different fluoro lines ... but have settled on the Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon for spinning reels (6-10#'s) ... There are many good lines out there and you have to try and judge for yourself.
Last edited by 201Pro on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
Bassackwardz

Post by Bassackwardz »

Pretty thorough 201PRO, thank you for all the info.
B List
Huntington Beach, CA