Who has recently bought an ABU GARCIA REVO S?

t8erbug

Who has recently bought an ABU GARCIA REVO S?

Post by t8erbug »

I have one that I'm having some issues with.. The line guide won't slide back and forth. I took it apart and the plastic gears are missing teeth. I want to get it fixed/replaced. I bought i recently but unfortunately I am one of those guys who loses his receipts. Does anyone have some sort of proof of purchase in the last 90 days or year they could sent me a photocopy of? I know it seems tricky but it's the only way I can get this $130 reel back on a rod before my tournament at the end of the month. Thanks for your help!
kane-o

Re: Who has recently bought an ABU GARCIA REVO S?

Post by kane-o »

good reason to buy shimano reels.. no hassel return and repair... sorry about you abu. hope it works out for you !!
Reel Guy

Post by Reel Guy »

I would order the parts from Garcia today. The two gears are under two dollars each. Also order a line pawl. The pawl is what runs back and forth on the worm shaft. Revo had problems with line pawls sticking, and this caused the gears to strip. I have repaired lots of them. Order from Garcia now and you should see the parts by Tuesday of next week. This will get you back on the water sooner. If you go this route and need help putting it back together let me know and I will walk you through it. http://larrysreelrepair.com/
t8erbug

Post by t8erbug »

That is exactly what started to happen. When I looked at the gear there also seemed to be a spacing issue. They were slightly offset so that contact between the two gears was not 100%. Do you ever shim them so they match up better?? I really appreciate that bit of advice!
Rod Brown

Post by Rod Brown »

Hi T8erbug,
I fished Shimano most of my life until 2 years ago at the Clear Lake AC TOC. Single fish would come up to feed and most of them were about 50 yards from the boat. That is a long distance. We were throwing frogs and my casts were about 10 yards too short. My partner had all Revo SX's and his cast would go a few yards past the fish and he caught all but one of those fish. We missed 1st place by 3/4 of a lb. Won a Mercury 225 pro XS motor!

I have all Revo's now and love them. It's cool that Reel Guy is helping you. If you're near a Fisherman's Warehouse, they can help you also.

Good luck, Rod Brown
Reel Guy

Post by Reel Guy »

There is one shim washer at the end of the worm shaft and a c clip that holds it in place. It is on the side where you remove the side plate to get the spool out. There are two screws that hold the line guard that covers the line guide. It's the nose piece that is in the front of the line guide. When you remove that then you can get to the end of the worm shaft. Sometimes you can put a second washer under the c clip. That is the only adjustment. If the other gear that goes on the drive shaft is put on the wrong way it may make the gears be off set. This is the gear that sets under the main drive gear. I hope this helps.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I'm surprised Abu Garcia hasn't addressed this as a recall.
If it's happening a lot, it is a real black eye for their products.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
t8erbug

Post by t8erbug »

You're tellin me. Heck, this is my first Abu and I figured I'd be getting a quality reel by staying in the $130 range. I think I'll stick to Lew's and Shimano