FLW-CLEAR LAKE-My Story & Thank You

MartinDeHaven

FLW-CLEAR LAKE-My Story & Thank You

Post by MartinDeHaven »

I got the call last minute that I made it in the FLW CLEAR LAKE EVENT as a co-angler.
I didn't have a place to stay but the back of my Suburban until I saw a post on here from another angler looking for a roommate.Under normal situations rooming with a complete stranger can be down right dangerous (serial killers)hahahha, but when its a fellow Bass Fisherman that calls you and offers to share a room and split the expense it's no big deal.
This is what is so great about this sport.You can pull up to the event, meet your roomie and hit it off right away.
I had the great pleasure to meet and room with Marty (BASSANOVA) Martin'ez.
I have seen his posts on WB for years and it was great to put a face to the name and posts.I have always found his DIY posts very helpful.
Marty was great to hang out with and was always willing to show and tell me any tricks on rigging,modifying and tweaking baits.He has a huge catalog of tips and tricks that would probably take years to get them all out of him.
I would like to Thank You Marty for everything.It was great to meet you,room with you and get to know you over the week.I can honestly say I made a new friend when the week was over...

I also want to Thank my Day 1 Pro-Ron Hammatt.
He was very upfront from the beginning about what his game plan was (sight fishing) and that it might be tough for me fishing in the back but he promised that if he got his fish he would help me the best he could to get my fish....
I stayed out of his way and let him do his thing and was fortunate to get my fish by casting off the back of the boat with Senkos and Dropshots.
I caught my limit by 9:30 and culled a few times.
The ride back in to weigh in was the worst boat ride I have ever been in.
Thank You Ron for a great day on the water and getting us back in safely to weigh in.....
My Day 1 Weight-16-07 Place 29th

Day 2 Pro-Ken Mah
Going into day 2,I knew I needed a 19-20 pound bag to make the Top 10 so I rigged up my Senko and Dropshot rods but also rigged a Swimbait, Buzzbait,Chatterbait and a Punker to go after the big fish....
Ken also needed a big bag to move up so he was throwin reaction baits.When we got to his starting area, I noticed right away I would have to fish my strength out the back of the boat and fish slow with Senkos and Dropshots.Right away I hook into my 1st fish of the day and get it into the boat,a nice 5 pounder.Good way to start the day.I throw right back out and my line takes off again with a solid 3 pounder.I limit out in the first 2 hours with a solid bag of fish..Talking with Ken trying to estimate what kind of weight I have we both think I have about 18 pounds. I kept my head down hoping to catch a kicker to get into the top 10.
We made a few moves so Ken could get his fish.He had some bed fish located and had no problem catching them fairly fast and leaving the ones that were too skittish.
With less than an hour left in our day we went back to his starting area in hopes of getting that Kicker fish.I picked up my buzzbait rod,with 30 minutes left, I tossed my buzzbait back into a pocket with a big laydown laying in the middle and as the buzzbait came right past the laydown a solid 5-6 pound fish came out on it and rolled on it but completely missed it.
I knew right then that that was my chance at the Top 10.
Day 2 Weight-17-10 Place 13th
Total Weight:34-01
Missed Top 10 by 1-07
I was definitely disappointed that I didn't make the Top 10 but in the end I had a great tournament and had a great time with my pros and roomie.

I want to Thank, Ken Mah for a great day on the water.I learned alot..
Thanks again to Marty,Ron and Ken for the great time....
I also want to Thank my Sponsors:
#1-My Family-They put up with me being gone alot chasing fish.
#2-Bullly Baits-Thanks to Brett Kemmer for the last minute baits and the lifejacket.
Thanks for reading, Good Fishing, Martin DeHaven
I
W.C

Re: FLW-CLEAR LAKE-My Story & Thank You

Post by W.C »

That's a great story, thanks for sharing. :D :wink:
Marty

Post by Marty »

I don’t snore – LOL Outstanding job Martin!
Trace

Post by Trace »

Good story Martin. 13th sounds like my delta experience. I returned your call and left my #.
209 986 1524

Tracy
littlebailey

Post by littlebailey »

great story! sorry but they dont eat the buzzer very well. Marty knows and Im sure you saw. :D :D
"Posse Approved"
www.reactorwatch.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.irodfishing.com
Larry Hemphill

We thank you too!!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I don't fish tournaments but like to keep up on everyone - friends, clients, and love reading the results. Your report was a tribute to the sport - thanks for sharing the experience!!! And, sounds like you did quite well!
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

Great read...
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..