El Cajon Ford San Diego Team Open Update

JJCJR

El Cajon Ford San Diego Team Open Update

Post by JJCJR »

Ed Zieralski, outdoor writer for the U-T San Diego had a nice update on the tournament I hope we can share with you.

EL CAJON — Mike Martin is a barber by trade, so there’s no way he can get out to fish in weekend bass tournaments with his son, especially on a Saturday, the busiest day in his La Mesa barber shop.

That’s why the two-day El Cajon Ford San Diego Team Open held each year on a Monday and Tuesday in early August suits Martin and his son, Kevin, just fine.

The Martin father-son team shared the first-round lead with the team of Josh Rhodes of Lakeside and Spencer Davidson of Vista after Day One of Paul Leader’s Summertime Bass Bash.

Though they are co-leaders, the leaders caught their fish at different lakes.

The Martins fished at El Capitan and caught a stringer totaling 18.49 pounds that included a 4.79-pounder to get the maximum 100 points there. Rhodes and Davidson caught a little heavier stringer at Lower Otay, hauling in five bass totaling 18.89, including the best bass of the day at either lake, a 7.53-pounder. If the weights for their stringer and bass hold up, they’ll earn $1,000 for each.

The 56 teams switch lakes Tuesday.

As expected, the fishing was more consistent for bigger bass and heavier stringers at Lower Otay.

“But there were a lot of fish lost at El Capitan due the infestation of quagga mussels,” tournament director John Cassidy said. “A lot of fishermen talked about losing fish, having their line break because of the concentrations of mussels there.”

El Cajon Ford’s Paul Leader, the tournament founder and host, fished with Rich “Bama” Welch and did well. They were in seventh place with 94 points at Lower Otay after catching and releasing a bag of bass

totaling 12.70, with a 4.81-pounder.

“A lot of guys had stories of losing fish, and Paul said he and Rich lost one that went 5 pounds or better and would have put them in second place,” Cassidy said.

The team of Jim Hallauer and Marco Fenelli was in second at El Capitan with 17.64 pounds, including a 5.08-pounder that gave them 99 points.

At Lower Otay, Chip Gilbert and Bubba Redding had a stringer totaling 16.92 pounds, including a 5.05-pounder.

Fishing concludes today with an awards ceremony at 3 p.m. at Landre’s Sports Bar in Santee.
Brian D.

Re: El Cajon Ford San Diego Team Open Update

Post by Brian D. »

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related