Open Pros Screw UP

fishforfun

Open Pros Screw UP

Post by fishforfun »

When you fish the Open as a nonboater you are told that the reason that your payouts are so little is that you are getting a chance to fish three days with a pro. Taht you are getting a three day guide trip and you have a chance to learn. Then you draw a pro who says that he is only fishing so he can learn the lake for the next tournament, or you get one who tells you to take the front of the boat he is on nothing. But hear is where it gets worse as the nonboater you are expected to drop the pro off to weigh the fish unless you have a big fish. You are told by the staff to keep the truck moving. Now the pro goes to the holding tanks he is not paying attention he is either thinking of one minute of fame on the mike or is talking to someone. While he is doing this he lets one of the five fish get out into the tank without knowing it. He then hands the bag to the dorector with four fish in the bag. He still does not catch it. The four fish are weighed instead of five. When the nonboater ask him about it he says O WELL. When he goes to the director all he says you are the fourth nonboater to say that. At the end of the weigh in there were four 11/2 pound fish founf in the tanks, I kmow that in one case this pros screw up cost the nonboater thiusands. O WELL

I am not sure of the answers I think the weigh in should be like Everstart Both the pro and nonboater have to be together while the fish are weighed.

In this case I feel that one of these 11/2 pound fish should have been weighed an added to the nonboaters weight.
kitjack

Re: Open Pros Screw UP

Post by kitjack »

I bet if you paid in the same amount as a pro they would be happy pay you back the same percentage and amounts as a pro. Bummer though about leaving a fish in the tanks as they were hard to catch, and every pound meant a lot.
Andrew Jackson

Post by Andrew Jackson »

So what makes you think by the am going up the fish still would not have gotten out without anyone noticing? At most times there a few guys at the tanks waiting to weigh in and no one noticed. The bags they are using make it alot easier for the fish to escape yet easier to present to the weigh master. I've been at tourneys where both the pro and am put the fish in the "clear" plastic bag, both walk up to the tanks, add a little tank water, bs with the other fishermen, present their fish and still leave on in the livewell.....Oh well

I agree, that is a BS reason to fish as an am. I do not agree with paying out placement money when it is less than the entry fee. But then again they wouldnt pay back as many places.
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

You should have punched the "pro" right in the face.
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

I've found that most unpleasant experiences with pros have been an aberration in character, not representative of who they really are. I've never been in the boat with someone who was genuinely a jerk.

Mistakes happen and in the case of the fish jumping out of the bag that's exactly what it was, just an accidental error.

I've been on both sides of this. I've been drastically affected by pro's errors in boat operation and time management, but I've also knocked a fish off at the boat that was the difference in making a $10,000 check. It was sickening. But, that pro showed a lot of empathy toward me. I can tell you that if the shoe is ever on the other foot I'll use that example to guide my actions.

Live and learn - doesn't offer any comfort, but neither does growing angry over it now.
Monsterfishingtackle.com
49R Dan

Post by 49R Dan »

Where's the like button? :lol:
Steve Reed wrote:I've found that most unpleasant experiences with pros have been an aberration in character, not representative of who they really are. I've never been in the boat with someone who was genuinely a jerk.

Mistakes happen and in the case of the fish jumping out of the bag that's exactly what it was, just an accidental error.

I've been on both sides of this. I've been drastically affected by pro's errors in boat operation and time management, but I've also knocked a fish off at the boat that was the difference in making a $10,000 check. It was sickening. But, that pro showed a lot of empathy toward me. I can tell you that if the shoe is ever on the other foot I'll use that example to guide my actions.

Live and learn - doesn't offer any comfort, but neither does growing angry over it now.
2010/11/12(by default) Conroy Oakley Pro-Teen Classic Chili Champ