99 225 opti trim sensor

TCS

99 225 opti trim sensor

Post by TCS »

Anyone know where the trim sending unit is located. Gauge started reading funny. I wanted to clean the contacts plus are there any adjustments that can be made. Thanks
Jim V.

Re: 99 225 opti trim sensor

Post by Jim V. »

Mine did that & it was not the sending unit. Look where the power trim ram connects to the motor. There should be a stainless steel pin. I think it's called the upper trim tilt shaft.
http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/8346.cfm
Copy & paste this link to see a photo of the shaft. You can see there is a slot on one end of the shaft, The sending unit has a tab that fits into that slot. As the motor tilts, the tab rotates in the slot & it shows on the tilt gauge on the dash. My sending unit is on the port side of the motor, directly over the shaft. Mine was bent slightly & therefore the tab didn't fit in the slot. The shaft had moved slightly. The part is about $10. I had a shop install it. There are bushings and other stuff that goes with the whole thing & I didn't want to mess it up. The sending unit would be an easy fix - 2 screws & reconnect the wires. Doubt it's that though - it would be TOO easy to fix.
TCS

Post by TCS »

thanks. ill check it out.
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

That is more than likely what happened. The tri-pin came out of mine and the shaft has a slot in it where it goes into the sensor. Easy fix
AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell