If you love a Vixen.......

fishbonz412

If you love a Vixen.......

Post by fishbonz412 »

but you don't have one anymore, what have you replaced it with? many guys think the Repo Man is the same mold, but that it is not the same lure. some think the Rover is better. A salesman at a shop I went to said that the new KVD Sexy Dawg has the same sound as the Vixen. So what has replaced your RI Vixen? Thanks.
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
Vince Borges

Re: If you love a Vixen.......

Post by Vince Borges »

For me, Definitely the Rover!! Far better for me. The Vixen I always had problems it seemed like with the hooks tangling each other. Not near as much with the rover. And the Rover is cheaper and has I think 3-4 sizes to match the hatch or just go BIG. :D
http://www.eyesurrender.com
http://www.proworm.com
http://www.basstackledepot.com
http://www.phenixrods.com
http://www.tntbaits.com
http://www.blackwaterinternationalinc.com
http://www.megastrike.com
http://www.vinceborgesoutdoors.com
sgvangler

Post by sgvangler »

no substitute in my opinion. There are still some out there NIB if you look hard enough. I know that the repo man I saw in action didn't rest in the water at the same angle as a vixen.
Dom

Post by Dom »

I agree no sub for the vixen!!! I heard Andrea sold the molds to Bob but I have fished both the Vixen has a sound all its own I dont know if the mold stroy is true and if so then Bob is using a different ball inside, I would advise Bob to use the ball thats in the Vixen he would sell a ton more baits and to prove it the ORIGINAL vixens are selling on ebay for as much as 100 bucks !!! I scored another for 50 the other day . I would throw the Gun fish over the repo man or the rover the Rover feels cheap compared to the vixen and the gunfish . So My answer is Lucky Craft GUN FISH!

Dom
Tight Lines Dom
Garrettt

Post by Garrettt »

no replacement at all!!
lobinaloca

Post by lobinaloca »

The Vixen is awesome, but the Repo Man and Late Payment are also amazing topwater baits, the sound is great IMO!
topdawg2700

Post by topdawg2700 »

Just an FYI....

I have a couple of Vixens that I will be custom painting soon and then for sale.

Callahan's Custom Tackle

Steve
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

Many feel there is no substitute. So I take it those guys have several in their boxes. If any of you who feel this way have lost all their Vixen's, are you going on Ebay? Or....What are you throwing instead? Reason I ask is I'm sure some are trying to replicate that Vixen sound, even though there are tons of walking baits out there...... anyone found something? Or are you just keeping it a secret? :twisted:
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
BassnReed

Post by BassnReed »

The Repo Man is simply a fish catching machine, period!! I've used the Rover and honestly I'm not impressed, as the bait doesnt walk consistently. I'd prefer a Super Spook over the Rover. However at the end of the day, the Repo Man outshines them all. My 2 cents,.,,,
KReed
dockboy

Post by dockboy »

I have a Vixen in each size. The Barely Legal size has not produced so much for me. My last remaining Vixen is battle scared, but I still fish it. Dozens of fish on that one bait.

The Vixens had the perfect mix of knocking and rattling vibrations. The tungsten ball makes that perfect knock, but combined with the little glass beads in the head its deadly. I will probably buy Repo Men to replace the eventual loss of my lone Vixen. I don't think anybody makes the same bait, which is too bad given how great a overall topwater the Vixen is. Spooks are great, and so are Sammys. But the Vixen walked the line between those two perfectly. Not too loud for quiet water, not too quiet in a bit of chop.
topdawg2700

Post by topdawg2700 »

Just get your Vixen repainted when the paint is all gone or beaten off.....just saying.
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

What have you replaced it with if you've cracked your last one, or lost it? What has become your new confidence bait?
Dom

Post by Dom »

Fishbonz412

I think what your hoping for is that there is a bait out there that is like the VIXEN. What you need to take from this thread (great question by the way) is that the general consensus is there is no subsitute for the OG VIXEN, NADA, NONE. We all know the price of presious metals has gone up and if tugstun was what Andrea was using then I assume Bob tried to keep cost down and went with another metal why I dont know the repo man is way over priced in my opinion . I actully purchased 2 R2S Rovers in Place of the Repo Man just a few weeks ago for the simple fact the Rover was almost 10 bucks cheaper then the Repo man . When I got em home I opened em up and right away I could tell why the Rover cost less it feels cheap then when I went to Don Pedro I thru it and it would not walk consistantly on long cast and the front hook kept getting wrapped up in my Power Pro Braid . Now heres the kicker I was fishing a rock point across from the damn and had a nice bass explode in front of me I fired the Rover to the spot and let it sit. Then as I went to pop the rod to walk it ,this 6 lb d'er explodes on it !

Well I set the hook and BAM my new 50lb power pro braid breaks the fish comes up with my rover in its mouth about 5 times around the boat trying to get that rover out of his lips, seen him clear as day. Now every other cast before that bite my front hook kept getting tangled in the braid the hook went thru the braid one time but got it out with no fray in the line or so I thought. But that is why my line snapped. So In my honest opinion there is no sub for the Vixen . My advice save and plunk down the $$$ and buy a few off ebay before I buy em all and no more exsist LMAO :)
Tight Lines Dom
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

What would you consider the best color? I have 2, 1 with a chart back and 1 with a light brown back. I haven't built enough confidence in them yet and keep switching between them and my spooks.

Morgan
Scott Robertson

Post by Scott Robertson »

when i found out i couldnt buy them anymore i went on a fishing expedition and found 6 of them at a tackle store in phoenix and bought them all. I am still using them not looking forward to replacing them. Scott
bent rods to all good luck.
2005 angler of the year ABA High desert region.
2018 2nd place AAA us open
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

No replacing a vixen for sure. They helped me win a boat at havasu besides I have at least 20 and some still in the boxes brand new. The gunfish is a great bait but a different bait as well. The sound and walking are the key to the vixen. Resting in the water well the best one for dead stick was and is the balsa pro.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

so what is a vixen worth?
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
Biggvic

Post by Biggvic »

There is no topwater bait better than a vixen. If anyone is interested, I have 15 for sale in the "Hard Bait" Classifieds.