fiberglass cranking rod

Otay Michael

fiberglass cranking rod

Post by Otay Michael »

Went out with Cooch a few days ago, and he got me to thinking about fiberglass rods for crankbaits (he did well at catching them with them, shallow or deep, but then again, he's a master). He asked where mine was when he helped me pick which rods I should take out with me on his boat, and as I never had a mentor while leaning this sport over the past 8 years or so now, except for the internet (thank God for THAT), I then realized I was under equipped.

Yeah, my 8 graphite rods, mostly swimbait, frog and plastic specialtie rods, were not enough. Later, I finally realized that the fish I'd lost in the Nutcase rallies on rattletraps might have been due to lack of proper equipment (I mostly toss topwater, come hell or high water, hot or cold). I now realize I've been missing out on the proper equipment for this wonderful way to catch these green critters.

I thought my new graphite rods were superior to the old fiberglass rods I used as a kid (before I 'discovered women' and quit fishing for 30 years- dummy me). So, as I've been doing research now, I've found there are 'regular' fiberglass rods, as well as 'composites'. There are mixed feeling on which is best, but the info I'm finding is a bit antiquated ('05 to '10).

What would you suggest to use now a days, on a 'starving artists' budget, I've never spent more that $100 per, except for my Dobyn's frog rod (heck, that's because I use it 12 hours a day, 120 days straight, so it was worth it for the quality/lightness/durability to spend that kind of cash for his top of the line rod).

Thanks in advance. (I read the Tackle tour report on the Skeet Reese rod, but that was $210 back in 2007 or so).
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
dockboy

Re: fiberglass cranking rod

Post by dockboy »

As a member of the Dobyns college team, I can't recommend their Champion series cranking rods highly enough. Besides cranking, the 705CBMF glass rod is absolutely my favorite rod to throw a Spook on. But given your price point, I'd look at the Powell Diesel cranking stick or maybe the Daiwa Ballistic rod. I've handled the Diesel, its nice for the price, and I've farted around at some shops with the 7'2" Ballistic cranking stick. Both are nice for the price. That being said, I've yet to handle a glass rod lighter or more sensitive than Dobyns is making. Their standard graphite cranking sticks are great too, if you want a soft tip with more butt and better sensitivity.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Try a Bass Pro shops Crankin stick.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-C ... /10204842/
Last edited by Rod Martin on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
dwise

Post by dwise »

I've used fiberglass rods for cranking since the 80's. I've caught so many crank fish on these old, pistol grip Daiwa 5"6" VIP 50 rods, I'm very reluctant to use/try anything else.

However, since Daiwa no longer makes the rods I love, and in order to expand to longer crank rods, I've purchased the Rick Clunn S-glass crank rods made by Wright McGill. The price is right at $89.99. I bought mine from Tackle Warehouse, however they are no longer carrying them, but Bass Pro Shops has them. I own two of these rods and I really like them. It took me a while to get accustomed to the longer rods (I am only 5'3" tall), and the turquoise crackle color, but now, I actually like it. I still use my old Daiwa rods too! :D

If you have any problem choosing which one to buy, just ask Rick on his Facebook page, and he will answer you. He is one of a handful of pros that actually answer the questions posed to them on their Facebook pages.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Hawg44Hustler

Post by Hawg44Hustler »

I build nothing but the best glass reaction bait rods ever but for your price range Tackle Warehouse has the Rick Clunn rods on sale for 69.99. I'm in San Diego too and would be more than happy to show you the ways of the glass rod
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

BPS....Browning Sila-Flex, all fiberglass, and they're only 50 bucks. All fiberglass is best, composites still have graphite, which you don't need. Not many all glass rods out there, but I think you'll be seeing more in the future, because of the fish being lost on treble hook lures with graphite rods.
There She Is!!!
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

dockboy wrote:As a member of the Dobyns college team, I can't recommend their Champion series cranking rods highly enough. Besides cranking, the 705CBMF glass rod is absolutely my favorite rod to throw a Spook on. But given your price point, I'd look at the Powell Diesel cranking stick...
Are you even allowed to recommend a direct competitor's offerings--the very brand your boss man had a falling out with? :lol:
dwise

Post by dwise »

dwise wrote:I've used fiberglass rods for cranking since the 80's. I've caught so many crank fish on these old, pistol grip Daiwa 5"6" VIP 50 rods, I'm very reluctant to use/try anything else.

However, since Daiwa no longer makes the rods I love, and in order to expand to longer crank rods, I've purchased the Rick Clunn S-glass crank rods made by Wright McGill. The price is right at $89.99. I bought mine from Tackle Warehouse, however they are no longer carrying them, but Bass Pro Shops has them. I own two of these rods and I really like them. It took me a while to get accustomed to the longer rods (I am only 5'3" tall), and the turquoise crackle color, but now, I actually like it. I still use my old Daiwa rods too! :D

If you have any problem choosing which one to buy, just ask Rick on his Facebook page, and he will answer you. He is one of a handful of pros that actually answer the questions posed to them on their Facebook pages.
I stand corrected. Tackle Warehouse still carries the Rick Clunn rods and they are on sale for $69.99. Must have missed seeing them the first time I looked.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
dockboy

Post by dockboy »

Are you even allowed to recommend a direct competitor's offerings--the very brand your boss man had a falling out with? :lol:
good point :lol:

But I wouldn't spend the remaining half of the post emphasizing the Dobyns cranking rods if I thought Powell made a better rod.