smelly jelly and round rubber

fishbonz412

smelly jelly and round rubber

Post by fishbonz412 »

Maybe I'm a newbie, but I've recently noted that the skirts on my jigs that have round rubber instead of silicon seem to stick together if I put smelly jelly on it. I've tried soaking them in water, even soapy water. However that stickiness stays. I had one jig where I had to cut off all the rubber. It has now happened on another jig recently.

Has anyone else noted this too? What attractant can you use on rubber skirts without the rubber sticking to itself? Thanks.
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
MT

Re: smelly jelly and round rubber

Post by MT »

That stuff does gum them up pretty bad. Megastrike isn't as bad. Try putting the attractant just on your trailer and don't bother rubbing it into your skirt. The fish won't care. You can buy a cheap skirt making tool and some silicone material and make you own skirts when you wear them out or cut them off.
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

Clean the skirts with mineral oil. Its gets em clean and keeps em from sticking together
"Jig fish are big fish"
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I wonder if you can add plastisol scent, like garlic, to the mineral oil.
Just thinking out loud.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

mark poulson wrote:I wonder if you can add plastisol scent, like garlic, to the mineral oil.
Just thinking out loud.
Yup u sure can. I have a squeeze bottle of mineral oil and garlic salt that i take with me to apply. I have some with anise oil in it too. Pretty much mix anything with it.

Also keeps the skirts from drying out. You can apply it to any soft plastic for that matter.
"Jig fish are big fish"
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

Bang spray tends to lubricate lures.

There was another Craw formula from another company that had adhesive in it to stick to the lures, but it also made the baits stickier to the grass.

.02 A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

Maybe I'll just avoid putting any attractant on the skirt itself, but how about more water soluble products like Pro -Cure? How about that spray stuff like the Yum F2? (only bummer thing about this one is that it is red....)
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Smelly Jelly reacts to your boats gel coat and carpet in a negative way also.
If you choose to use anise oil, use 100% anise oil. Same with garlic, Trader Joes has frozen garlic cubes, each cube is about the size of a sugar cube, perfect for those who still use real pork trailers; 1cube per jar, with a drop of pure anise oil works great. A good lubricant to carry both garlic and pure anise is glycerin, doesn't affect the living rubber.
Merry Christmas all.
Tom
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

To be honest some of the scent deals are funny.

Since I was a little kid, anise was sold, but I have never seen a fish eat sweet anise.

One of the weirder ones to me was not any kind of bait smell or taste rather it was a bag of plastics scented with coffee.

Are this Bass hitting Starbucks on the drive thru, or hanging at truck stops?

:D
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

FB412, I've always used a variety of BANG products over the years and have not had any troubles with it and the round rubber. Most of today's scent products will disolve in a short time when applied to the rubber skirts. I think a bigger problem woud be leaving what ever plastic trailer you use on that jig when not in use. Todays plastics and the salt used will definately break down that rubber skirt, as well as cause your jig hook to rust faster. I see this often when perusing thru the jig boxes of other anglers and always make it a point to tell them they should not only remove that piece of plastic, but you should never store that plastic in the same compartment as your jigs.