PROBLEMS WITH A EVENRUDE 2005 150(NO OIL ALARM COMES ON)

van hill

PROBLEMS WITH A EVENRUDE 2005 150(NO OIL ALARM COMES ON)

Post by van hill »

I have an evenrude 2005 150 motor and my no oil alarm comes on but only when i drive it a good distance with several stop in between. I have taken it to the shop twice when they put in in the tank and run it it runs fine. First time they clean oil tank filters and oil pump etc and change a recalled part that they thought was the problem. i took the boat out and ran short runs on a lake ran fine. Prefished tournament on clearlake spilt the lake with partner and only prefished north end did not make any long runs but did do some running around. Day of tournament started at redbud southend fish for while then ran to lakeport northend fishing some spots inbetween ran back to rattlesnake which is half way back fish a spot then left to go back to redbud and no oil alarm went off. when i turned the key off and back on alarms resets and i can drive again for short time then alarm goes off we were able to get back to ramp next day took boat out (two day tournament) we were goinig to stay close to redbud went to several spots close to redbud no oil alarm did not go off took back to shop but in tank boat runs fine . Has anyone experenced somthing like this with there evenrude a does anyone know a good mechanic close to sacramento that works on evenrudes.
Darrin Bishop

Re: PROBLEMS WITH A EVENRUDE 2005 150(NO OIL ALARM COMES ON

Post by Darrin Bishop »

Van,
Try removing the internal oil reservoir cap and cranking the engine several times with the kill switch pulled. The engine won't start, but it takes any air out the line or reservoir. This worked for a similar problem I had with my Merc.
Good luck,
Darrin
hackettd

Post by hackettd »

I had the same problem, took to shop maybe six time, sent a lot of cash, spent 150 for a new oil pump problem fixed weak oil pump
milehi

Post by milehi »

Don't know how that engine works, but on a little older mercs the sensor wires on the cap twist and short out, making it do just what your talking about. Ouick, easy cheap fix.
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

Hey Steve
Had that happen once on my Yamaha.
Turned out to be low voltage on cranking battery.
IGood Luck, see ya on the water
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"