Champion Boat transducer skimmer question

DeltaBound

Champion Boat transducer skimmer question

Post by DeltaBound »

I bought an Elite 7 HDI Lowrance unit which has a Skimmer Transducer with downscan & 2D capabilities. I have a Champion 198. Where would a good location be to install the transducer on the transom? I don't really want to epoxy the transducer inside the bilge area because you won't get good readings with this unit from what I hear. The two obvious areas would be Just to the right of the drain plug area or on the very back where the jack plate is mounted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dwise

Re: Champion Boat transducer skimmer question

Post by dwise »

Mine is installed at the bottom of the transom, starboard side, NOT where the drain plug and holes are, but on the transom itself. I'm sorry but I don't keep my boat at my house, so it's hard for me to remember to take a picture for you.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
DeltaBound

Post by DeltaBound »

Thanks Dwise! I appreciate it......
dwise

Post by dwise »

Here is a diagram I drew for you.
Diagram.JPG
Diagram.JPG (7.97 KiB) Viewed 5802 times
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
DeltaBound

Post by DeltaBound »

Much Appreciated Dwise... Great visual!
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

You may also want to check out a website called bass boat central (bbc) they have a champion boats specific forum. Someone will get you a pic or you could probably search and find it there.

Good luck!
bobbie smyth

Post by bobbie smyth »

deltabound,
The diagram by dwise has the transducer where you DO NOT want it located.

go to Lowrance.com
click on- support
click on- product manuals
click on- fishfiners
go to bottom of page
click on- elite-5x dsi (all skimmer transducers mount the same.)
click on- sonar and dsi installation manual

always remember, the best time to go fishing is whenever you can.
dwise

Post by dwise »

bobbie smyth wrote:deltabound,
The diagram by dwise has the transducer where you DO NOT want it located.

go to Lowrance.com
click on- support
click on- product manuals
click on- fishfiners
go to bottom of page
click on- elite-5x dsi (all skimmer transducers mount the same.)
click on- sonar and dsi installation manual

always remember, the best time to go fishing is whenever you can.
My unit works perfectly where the transducer is installed, just like the diagram I created.
It was installed by a reputable marine repair shop.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
bobbie smyth

Post by bobbie smyth »

As there are no laws against stupidity, there are no rules against bad information on this forum.

A skimmer transducer is designed to read at high speeds. To do this, it has to be just below the surface of
the water at ALL times. If the boat in your diagram,the diagram you created all by your self, was to go on
plane, the transducer would no longer be in the water. Someone who has to pay a boat repair shop to in-
stall his own transducer maybe shouldn't be giving advice.
dwise

Post by dwise »

bobbie smyth wrote:As there are no laws against stupidity, there are no rules against bad information on this forum.

A skimmer transducer is designed to read at high speeds. To do this, it has to be just below the surface of
the water at ALL times. If the boat in your diagram,the diagram you created all by your self, was to go on
plane, the transducer would no longer be in the water. Someone who has to pay a boat repair shop to install his own transducer maybe shouldn't be giving advice.
Okay, I guess I'm stupid for trying to help. Geeshh...maybe someone with more knowledge should have stepped up to help this man.

My transducer is under the water, even on plane. As for giving advice, he asked a question, I replied. No one else was replying so I did, as I have a Champion and I have the Elite 7 HDI that works great with the location of the transducer. I drew that diagram per his request to give him an idea of where to install his transducer. It was not to scale.

And for your information I have to pay someone to install my stuff because 1) I don't have the skills or the strength to install a lot of things myself, and 2) I am 62 years old, a woman, and I can no longer do all the things myself that are needed on my boat.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
coachkevm

Post by coachkevm »

I agree with Darlene....no one was giving any advice and I know Darlene....she is always willing to help out in any way she can and is a great person!! Why would ANYBODY get on a forum and say the things like what you did bobbie smyth?? I fish in the same club she does and know for a fact that the transducer is always under water and I also am a boat inspector at Castaic and have seen the transducer in the place like Darlene drew in the diagram on a bunch of boats. Someone asked for some advice and I don't think everyone that responds to posts on here are "experts" on things when they reply...they are fishermen (or women) that love the sport and want to help others that have the same experience and passion for this great sport!!!!!!! Thanks Dar for always trying to promote this great sport and for always wanting to help others out!!!
Kevin
Pink Fishing, Crossed Industries, TackleWorkz, Shredfin Fishing, P250, Picasso, IRod, TCHG, BoatEFX, Bioenno Power, Spearpoint Hooks, TH Marine

Phil. 4:13
I can do all things through Christ the Lord who strengthens me.
DL

Post by DL »

bobbie smyth wrote:As there are no laws against stupidity, there are no rules against bad information on this forum.

plane, the transducer would no longer be in the water. Someone who has to pay a boat repair shop to in-
Really?

I am beginning to rethink the value of freedom of speech.
"Feel the steel"
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

bobbie smyth wrote: Someone who has to pay a boat repair shop to in-
"Her" own. She's cool people :D
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

You go GIRL!!!!!!
Pretty nifty illustration. I dont think its exactly to propotion of your transom, but a cool illustration none the less.
This is kinda the reason I stopped going fishing because of People like Mr. Smyth.
I would venture to say that Mr. Smyth doesnt even own a boat. Thats why you, Mr Smyth, direct Deltabound to the Lowrance website.
Everyone has their preference of where and how they have a Transducer setup, some work better than others.
And before you start adding your 2 cents Mr. Smyth, I run HDS8 Gen2 on the bow and HDS7 Gen2 at the Helm and an HDS5 Insight Gen1 on the console all networked thru my LLS-1. The HDS8 transducer runs via a Fortrex 101 US2 transducer. The HDS5 has a transducer mounted in the hull of my boat. And my HDS7 runs the LSS-1 transducer under my jackplate. My LSS-1 transducer will not run when I am on plane, but thats okay. I only use it to pinpoint structure at idle or cruise.

You know what..... Keep doing what your doing Darlene.....Good Job....
As for me Im going to go play some PAINTBALL!!! :twisted:
AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

For what its worth the place to install ANY skimmer xducer is down by the drain plug, especially on a Champion. You want the center of your cone angle the transducer sends to be in the center of you boat not off to the side. In the diagram from the earlier post, there is a chance of alot of spray when turning and all the extra cable exposed to brush ect is a torn or damaged transducer waiting to happen. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
dwise

Post by dwise »

Rick G wrote:For what its worth the place to install ANY skimmer xducer is down by the drain plug, especially on a Champion. You want the center of your cone angle the transducer sends to be in the center of you boat not off to the side. In the diagram from the earlier post, there is a chance of alot of spray when turning and all the extra cable exposed to brush ect is a torn or damaged transducer waiting to happen. Rick G.
Finally, someone who knows has replied to this man's question.

I'm leaving my transducer where it is, cuz it's working just fine, and I don't want to drill anymore holes in my boat. The placement of my transducer is where my old transducer was, so I told the boat repair place to install the new one there so there wouldn't be any new holes.

See you in November, Rick!
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club