Summer Livewell Management- Keep 'em Alive!

Caudawg

Summer Livewell Management- Keep 'em Alive!

Post by Caudawg »

This subject generally comes up after we hear about a tournament that experienced some dead bass issues. More often than not, it is during the hotter summer months when oxygen levels in surface water (and livewell water) have depleted and the bass go belly up.
With a couple of larger than normal events coming up on the delta this month, let's not forget to take care of our bass!! It's better that we discuss this now rather than after a die off has occurred.

Let's start a running list of hints for keeping our bass as healthy as possible. This will hopefully be helpful to a lot of the anglers who don't often fish in tournaments but will be fishing the Snag Proof Open and/or BassFest this month. Plus, it will be a great reminder to those of us who have been around a while who may have forgotten some easy tricks for keeping the bass alive and healthy for successful release while culling and after the weigh-ins. Don't forget...large turnouts could mean longer waits to weigh-in and this could be extra tough on bass in the livewell!

I'll start:
1. Avoid allowing the bass to come in contact with your boat carpet while landing them as well as while culling.

etc.

Chime in with some of your best tips!
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
mark poulson

Re: Summer Livewell Management- Keep 'em Alive!

Post by mark poulson »

I wet a small towel and keep it on my front deck, next to the TM.
When I land a fish that needs attention or hook removal, I hold the fish on the wet towel, and they calm right down. There are no scales left over on the towel after I release the fish, so I'm guessing the wet towel isn't as hard on them and their slime coat as the hot, dry carpet.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

Start basic: Plug the bottom then fill your livewell first thing in morning. Cooler water holds more O2.
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

ice and hydrogen peroxide just a capful.. helps add oxygen and of course catch and release
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Run your livewell all the time when the water reaches 78-80 degrees. Moving water is more oxygenated, and cleaner. Bass can survive warmer water if it's oxygenated and clean.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
mrbassin0614

Post by mrbassin0614 »

Lots of guys dont want to use ice because of the chemicals that are in it, if you put some water out for a day all the chemicals will evaporate. Then you can freeze and break it apart with a hatchet and a pick or screwdriver
mrbassin0614

Post by mrbassin0614 »

Also if fishing deep learn out to relive the air bladder! Extremely important!!!!!!!! If you don't know how ask someone like booby when you see him around etc. Maybe we can get a video up on here about how to do it properly
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

BEFORE the tournament starts make sure that all of your livewell pumps are in GOOD working order and have an extra pump in your boat with "Quick Connect" wiring so that you can changeout the pump if need be.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

1. Use a livewell temperature thermometer so you know what the livewell water temps are!
A floating swimming pool thermometer works. Keep the water temps between 70-75F.
2. Hydrogen peroxide should be over the counter 3%, no stronger! 1/2 cup for 10-15 gallons of water works good, if the outside water circulation isn't on.
3. Don't fizz bass in stress unless the expanded air bladder is the cuase of the bass rolling over. If you are fishing in less then 35 feet of water, the air bladder will be OK.
4. If you use ice to cool the livewell water, de chlorinate the ice water. Aquarium stores sell de chlorine for fish tanks, works good. Frozen pint water bottles work good, take off the paper labels.
Add a frozen bottle as needed, the melted water in the bottle is good drinking water.
5. Sure-Life products like C&R or Rejuvinate ase essential livewell management aids, use them as directed.
Tom
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

I stumbled across an interesting new product we might want to check out. http://www.newproproducts.com/index.html

It's a new concept as far as I know and very interesting. I'll see if we can get some samples and possibly do some testing and a product review.
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer