Surprise Tournament Trail (an idea)

Fast Eddie

Surprise Tournament Trail (an idea)

Post by Fast Eddie »

All this posting about tournaments has got me thinking. What if you had a surprise circut. One with a 10.00 annual membership. You would need the cooperation of all local bass clubs to help with the weigh in. The way it would work is a schedule of weekends would be sent to each member. Entry into the tournament would 50.to 75. a boat. ( multiple lakes and dates would have to be drawn during the jamboree) all tournaments would be one day. (Membership Counsel TBD would specify whether all tourneys in a year would be boat on boat draws). Now here's the surprise, all notification as to the lake would be made by phone or e mail on the Thurs. night. Off limits on Fri. That gives everybody an equal shot. Bass Clubs would assign members on a volunteer basis to help on short notice.

So as you can see I'm not a tournament mastermind by any means. The purpose of the post is to kick it around, not point out the discrepancies. The concept is the point.

So what do you think?
TL
FE
WackySenko

Re: Surprise Tournament Trail (an idea)

Post by WackySenko »

I think the idea is good, but I do not feel that it could be kept a secret. Between the DFG website for tournament permits and loss lips, someone or a few would find out and prefish.
badbass25

Post by badbass25 »

Sounds like it could work to me. Would take some time and dedication to get it started and organized. The Board that makes the selection would have to make their decision on the Thursday (Via a meeting or conference call) prior to the event on Saturday to keep things secret, by simply voting. In my opinion a fishery shouldn't be selected more than once in a given amount of time. It would probably be the easiest as a Turkey Shoot style club. People that wanted to "Join" would just need to be added to the Contact list (Text message or email). It could work for sure. It would need people who would be willing to organize and/or be on the board. It would be one hell of a lot of fun.

Added via and Edit:
Why in my head to I have visions of the movie "Project X", but as a bass tournament.

Could Call it "The Turkey Surprise Club" or something to that effect.
"The Chase Is Better than the Catch!"
2016 Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I think you better check with DFW to see how you can hold it without a permit.
If prize money is involved, I think one is required.
Plus, on a lot of lakes there is a specific slot limit, like Castaic, which says how many fish you may have in your possession and what size, so you might have to get a DFW variance to avoid having illegal fish in your possession.
If you do paper weigh-ins, so you don't keep fish in your livewell, there probably won't be a problem, but it's easier and smarter to just ask DFW how you can do what you want to do.
They are very accessible and helpful.
Asking first beats being cited and facing fines and confiscations.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY