Ranger Trail Trailer Jack

Vernonn

Ranger Trail Trailer Jack

Post by Vernonn »

I have a 2004 Ranger Trail trailer with a frame mounted jack. The jack is squealing and is getting hard to turn.
I've taken the plastic cap off the top and sprayed it with lube without any effect. Anyone have any remedies?

Thanks!

-vernon
mark poulson

Re: Ranger Trail Trailer Jack

Post by mark poulson »

My 2007 trailer has a zerk fitting on the jack for grease. Does yours?
I hand lube the cylinder when the jack is all the way+- up, and hit the crank handle's axle, where it enters and exits the cylinder, with WD40 every one in a while.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Vernonn

Post by Vernonn »

mark poulson wrote:My 2007 trailer has a zerk fitting on the jack for grease. Does yours?
Yes. This zerk feeds grease to the top of the jack where handle turns the gears, but not to the jack screw shaft. I've taken the top off and sprayed WD40 down the top to see if penetrant makes its way down. But it doesn't relieve the squeal and it is still hard to crank.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Then I'm stumped. Maybe you have to take it in to a local trailer shop to see how to lube it.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
bayscotter

Post by bayscotter »

Let me know if you figure this out. i have the same issues. Same year trailer
medfish

Post by medfish »

Just replaced mine same problem. Greased it every year had prblems for the last year or so then just wouldn't extend all the way
Vernonn

Post by Vernonn »

medfish wrote:Just replaced mine same problem. Greased it every year had prblems for the last year or so then just wouldn't extend all the way
Medfish,

did you replace it yourself or take it to the shop? I read it's about $80 to order from Ranger.

I'm going to try flipping the jack upside down and remove the wheel and see if there is access to lube the shaft from below. The problem might be the result of trailering in the rain with the wheel toward the truck or those 4-5% ramps around here.
medfish

Post by medfish »

Yes got new one from ranger direct. Popped the keepers off both ends Drops out new one in takes all if ten mins. Problem solved 80bucks lighter Saw rebuild kits on the web but was unsure if they would work I think it was mainly due to pushing the boat around with the jack fully raised. So I don't do that anymore